Kh testing in reef aquarium

lindajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone can explain why two kh test kits by API test so differently. Both kits are in date and look identical. One tested using 9 drops and the other took 12 drops. Both bottles were tested twice, alternating, after such different results. Same result, 9 drops from 1 bottle and 12 from the other. I will now have my water tested at Lfs asap

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R!
API test kits are known to be significantly inaccurate and faulty. I would recommend switching to something like salifert.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't ever used API, but would agree that your different results would point to bad quality control on their part. When you add together a new test kit, or a bunch of tests at the local fish store (which I imagine cost money?) - you might consider getting the Hanna DkH checker. My most used tester, and has always been reliable for me. It is so easy, it actually makes me test Alk more often, which is not a bad thing...

OP
OP
L

lindajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a sample to lfs and tested alk, one bottle was 11 drops and he tested with a result of 11.6 so pretty close. I have disposed the other bottle which was changing after 8 drops. Will continue using for now but replace with something better when this is all used. Thanks for you comments

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back