KHD Users - Waste water back into tank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading a few threads that state the waste water being put back into your tank makes no difference at all, the small volume of acid has no effect.
It simply reduces the alkalinity of the water sample.

It seems particularly with the Alkatronic guys, they all seem to just dump it back in?

I don't currently do this and I've been trying all sorts of things to keep my salinity stable, current solution is a small amount of salt in my top up, which I'm not entirely sure yet if I'm a fan of. It makes all my dosing tubes cloudy and slimy.

I've seen @Randy Holmes-Farley saying that it is fine to do so here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...ste-who-puts-it-back-into-their-tanks.521076/

What do you do?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will, of course, depend on your testing frequency and total water volume.

I was testing once per day and my total water volume is a little over 300 gallons. I dumped it back in to the tank for several months with no measurable or noticable ill effect. I had 1 ICP test during that time and my only finding in that report was slightly low iodine - obviously nothing to do with dumping the acid back in to the tank.

I stopped using the khd and now simply do the DIY acid test that Randy shows. Since I know I'm pulling 500ml of water out when I do that - I go grab 500 ml of fresh salt water, dump it in my sump, then pull 500 ml out of the tank, test, trash the water.

Trivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently adding to my ghl collect and waiting for maxi doser to get back on stock for auto water changes. I’m planning to just increase the new salt water to be what the KHD pulls out.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if it is an acid-base titration i would assume it is ok to dump the waste back into the tank. As the titration basically turn the analyze into water.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another options out there to automate replenishing salt water ? ideas

Dive Dive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dumping my waste water to the sump a couple of months ago and have not seen any effects on tank. My ph readings and variations throughout the 24 period have not seen a noticeable effect. Tank is approximately 100 total gallons.

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The khd has been out for a couple of years now has anyone been dumping the waste water in the sump for a long period of time now?

Back