KHG DIY or Alternative Reagent

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a look at the new user interface that _V9.3R76L gives you.
They added a few new features like "analyze chart", "user manual" (which is just a download link), "purge all lines", and "display pH volt".

It is all very... colorful might be the right word.
Screenshot_20230313-211935_Chrome Beta.jpg
Screenshot_20230313-211955_Chrome Beta.jpg
Screenshot_20230313-212216_Chrome Beta.jpg
Screenshot_20230313-212246_Chrome Beta.jpg

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i got 1M hydrochloric acid lab grade which is basically the same as 1N and tried 10ml in 1000 rodi and khg was reading way off high. i reagusted my mix until i got close enough and im at 16ml to 1000 rodi and im getting within 0.2 higher than my trident read which is something i can work with and correct.

so im not sure where the 0.01N krs concentration came from but to me at least it wasn't the case.

i just thought to update you guys. also im sill running tests and trying to finetune it but i think 16 is it. ill update later tonight after running more tests on the same bucket f water to confirm accuracy

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i got 1M hydrochloric acid lab grade which is basically the same as 1N and tried 10ml in 1000 rodi and khg was reading way off high. i reagusted my mix until i got close enough and im at 16ml to 1000 rodi and im getting within 0.2 higher than my trident read which is something i can work with and correct.

so im not sure where the 0.01N krs concentration came from but to me at least it wasn't the case.

i just thought to update you guys. also im sill running tests and trying to finetune it but i think 16 is it. ill update later tonight after running more tests on the same bucket f water to confirm accuracy

You would want 10ml + 990ml measured by volume, not mass to dilute 1N to 0.01N.

How did you measure volume?

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used a scale. i may have spoke to soon as my readings started to creep up off again. will keep testing. do you know whats the krs ph at?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used a scale. i may have spoke to soon as my readings started to creep up off again. will keep testing. do you know whats the krs ph at?
You can't use a scale, you need to measure volume using a volumetric flask or similar.

Water only has a mass of 1 gram per ml at 4 degrees celcius at sea level, and HCl does not weigh 1gram per ml either.

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would want 10ml + 990ml measured by volume, not mass to dilute 1N to 0.01N.

How did you measure volume?
when i ran 10 to 990 (i did 1000 but dont think its that much of a deal) i was getting reading error above 13dkh which is the khg limit. so idk why i was getting off reading if what you saying is true

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't use a scale, you need to measure volume using a volumetric flask or similar.

Water only has a mass of 1 gram per ml at 4 degrees celcius at sea level, and HCl does not weigh 1gram per ml either.
ok ill try to figure it by volume and try 10 to 990 again and report back. thanx

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok ill try to figure it by volume and try 10 to 990 again and report back. thanx
I would do a two stage dilution as it is less likely to have errors.

100ml 1N HCl + 900ml RODI water = 0.1N HCl.
100ml 0.1N HCl + 900ml RODI water = 0.01N HCl

If you use a 100ml Volumetric Flask to measure everything you should be quite close to 0.01N.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with questions on dilution, Randy posted a handy formula.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a look at the new user interface that _V9.3R76L gives you.
They added a few new features like "analyze chart", "user manual" (which is just a download link), "purge all lines", and "display pH volt".

It is all very... colorful might be the right word.
Screenshot_20230313-211935_Chrome Beta.jpg
Screenshot_20230313-211955_Chrome Beta.jpg
Screenshot_20230313-212216_Chrome Beta.jpg
Screenshot_20230313-212246_Chrome Beta.jpg
Did you end up going back? Finally changed firmware to 9.003 and mixed up 6ml 20° baum (32.45%) acid with 1500ml rodi. Seems way too strong so far.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up going back? Finally changed firmware to 9.003 and mixed up 6ml 20° baum (32.45%) acid with 1500ml rodi. Seems way too strong so far.
I did go back. The new interface is too loud a just to hard to look at.

Did you test your solution following the steps in the video I posted earlier?
It is pretty easy and will help ensure you are not mixing it too weak or too strong.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did go back. The new interface is too loud a just to hard to look at.

Did you test your solution following the steps in the video I posted earlier?
It is pretty easy and will help ensure you are not mixing it too weak or too strong.
I did, but then my probe wouldn't take calibration afterward. Idk I swapped to a differnt one and threw it In storage solution. Maybe it'll come back to life. So far, it's reading about .4dkh lower than salifert, so I'm just going to dilute a bit more until it matches and call this batch good. I'll mess with dialing in a recipe next batch. Probably mix up a whole gallon or 2 then.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept breaking those extremely fragile khg probes, so I switched to one with the guard. Great probes, but so fragile. I'm not those most delicate, but not really clumsy either.

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im about done with khg. i have obtained an original krs and when i started using it my khg gave me rf-err which is basically telling me im using non original liquid lol. now its locked up and wont give me a read. any way to unlock this joke?

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think you can unlock it. What firmware where you running? V9.003 should be the safest one.

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think you can unlock it. What firmware where you running? V9.003 should be the safest one.
i was running the latest. eh at this point im just gonna take it apart and mess with it see what i can dig out. im not paying 100 for literally extortion. ill just use my trident. sad thing i recomend khg to everyone i know cuz its a great device and making my own reagent made it better. but this left bad taste for me now. not paying 35 bucks for a pack of acid that cost 25 cent.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was running the latest. eh at this point im just gonna take it apart and mess with it see what i can dig out. im not paying 100 for literally extortion. ill just use my trident. sad thing i recomend khg to everyone i know cuz its a great device and making my own reagent made it better. but this left bad taste for me now. not paying 35 bucks for a pack of acid that cost 25 cent.
100% tha same way, but what really ticked me off is a few updates ago, they made it run each test 2-3× per result, thus just sucking up reagent like mad.
Afaik, this "lock" is irreversible, physical change to the board. Like over volting a component on purpose to damage it. Otherwise, it wouldn't need ro go to Taiwan for repair. But, perhaps they claim that as a scare tactic.
You need to run older firmware if your unit was built with firmware v9.003 or later. @Sean Clark has an old, but upgraded unit. And seems to not have that lock "feature."
@laythy if ypu run the trident with ABC reagent, it shpuld read much more consistent than with neptune sauce. And, way cheaper too.

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% tha same way, but what really ticked me off is a few updates ago, they made it run each test 2-3× per result, thus just sucking up reagent like mad.
Afaik, this "lock" is irreversible, physical change to the board. Like over volting a component on purpose to damage it. Otherwise, it wouldn't need ro go to Taiwan for repair. But, perhaps they claim that as a scare tactic.
You need to run older firmware if your unit was built with firmware v9.003 or later. @Sean Clark has an old, but upgraded unit. And seems to not have that lock "feature."
@laythy if ypu run the trident with ABC reagent, it shpuld read much more consistent than with neptune sauce. And, way cheaper too.
my unit is old as well. over 3 years now. alex saying i need to send it to him (texas). i think its a matter of software flush which im going to dig deeper into now that i have no choice but to. yes i have notice how every few times it runs it will check the buffer etc which uses more reagent and like i said i was literally using original krs this time when ot locked up. ironic af if you ask me. over 2 years on diy nothing happened and now it locked up on original lol.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my unit is old as well. over 3 years now. alex saying i need to send it to him (texas). i think its a matter of software flush which im going to dig deeper into now that i have no choice but to. yes i have notice how every few times it runs it will check the buffer etc which uses more reagent and like i said i was literally using original krs this time when ot locked up. ironic af if you ask me. over 2 years on diy nothing happened and now it locked up on original lol.
I'd love to see one of the locked up units to see what they did.
It'll be something stored in NVRAM, not a fuse burn.

Unfortunately (fortunately) I don't know anyone nearby who has had that problem.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back