Kiddie Pool Frag Tank

roilciuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering buying this kiddie pool (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQD5Y1...UTF8&colid=1TBVCN0MCPYPW&coliid=IOUVKJBZZU3M0) and setting it up as a frag tank (pond) in my basement. I was thinking of putting large tote lids on the bottom to place live rock on so I don't have rips from the live rock. I would install a rigid metal bar across the top of the pool to mount plastic bars that dip into to pool to it. To these plastic bars, I plan on mounting my heaters and power heads. This way I don't have the heater touch the side of the pool and get good flow. The entire thing would then have egg crate for frags. Do you think this is a good idea? Has anyone tried using a kiddie pool for a saltwater set up. I see many set ups like this for freshwater aquaponics.

Rickyb1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering buying this kiddie pool (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQD5Y1...UTF8&colid=1TBVCN0MCPYPW&coliid=IOUVKJBZZU3M0) and setting it up as a frag tank (pond) in my basement. I was thinking of putting large tote lids on the bottom to place live rock on so I don't have rips from the live rock. I would install a rigid metal bar across the top of the pool to mount plastic bars that dip into to pool to it. To these plastic bars, I plan on mounting my heaters and power heads. This way I don't have the heater touch the side of the pool and get good flow. The entire thing would then have egg crate for frags. Do you think this is a good idea? Has anyone tried using a kiddie pool for a saltwater set up. I see many set ups like this for freshwater aquaponics.
If the legs are metal they will most probabaly rust and not last long at all !! Just my opinion though ! You are probabaly better off getting a cattle trough

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good idea but hes right. That thing will start to rust in just a few days.

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But maybe if you changed them to PVC or something like that then they would be fine.

OP
OP
R

roilciuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your replies. Obviously I'm tempted to get the kiddie pool cuz it's so much cheaper than the plastic bins but if there is a chance it will fail and kill all my corals it's not really worth it. So next question is, where is the best place to buy a cattle trough?

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rickyb1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your replies. Obviously I'm tempted to get the kiddie pool cuz it's so much cheaper than the plastic bins but if there is a chance it will fail and kill all my corals it's not really worth it. So next question is, where is the best place to buy a cattle trough?
Tractor supply or any feed store around your area for horses and cattle

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the kiddie pools may have mold and alga inhibitors in the plastic that would leach into the water. These toxins could kill sensitive coral while not necessarily overtly harming freshwater fish.

OP
OP
R

roilciuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on the input, I ended up getting the 50 gallon shallow one. Hope it works well. I'll keep you updated.

Fairechio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your gonna fill that thing up with frags your growth must be insane I would invest in flood tables they are more proven who knows what the liner might leach @ 25$ a frag the cost flood tables should not be a problem lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back