Killing nuisance Algae

Guynesbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do y'all keep nuisance algae from growing in your reef tanks? Go....

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its going to grow regardless, but you can help keep it at bay with good maintenance and QT procedures.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is going to grow. You need to keep nutrients low, but that alone won't do it. You need a cleanup crew.

My DT has no algae issue. My refugium has lots of turf algae and some red cyano sometimes. I have no cleanup crew in my fuge, in my DT I have a tuxedo urchin, a Halloween urchin (my best cleanup critter by FAR), a rock urchin, 4 emeralds, about 6 trochus snails. Urchins rock for keeping algae at bay and I have lots of coralline. Sure they eat some coralline, but less coralline and no algae is better than coralline and algae. I have a 100 gal DT.

A local LFS owner goes the snail route. His 300 gal DT has about 100 trochus snails. It's a very clean tank, but man the snails are everywhere.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae can get to the tank via the wind. If it couldn't, a tank that has no live rock added would never develop algae during cycling. We all know they do.

Quarantine is not going to stop algae, because you can't prevent it from getting into your tank via the air. I never quarantine my frags before putting them in my tank. Heck, I don't even care if they have algae on the plugs. My cleanup crew just consider it a treat and clean everything up within hours of gluing the plug to a rock.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae can get to the tank via the wind. If it couldn't, a tank that has no live rock added would never develop algae during cycling. We all know they do.

Quarantine is not going to stop algae, because you can't prevent it from getting into your tank via the air. I never quarantine my frags before putting them in my tank. Heck, I don't even care if they have algae on the plugs. My cleanup crew just consider it a treat and clean everything up within hours of gluing the plug to a rock.
You do know that this can conclusively be proven wrong right?
Setting in minds that you will have algae no matter what is just incorrect.
Nuisance algae (not diatom related) has to be present in the cellular level to start.
Think of it this way (even though not in a sterile environment) every holding container would be over-run with algae if this statement were to be correct.
We have to support the hope of new tank owners that it is possible to have an algae free tank no matter the nutrient level.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it can be proven wrong then you shouldn't have a problem proving it. I have had algae in saltwater and freshwater tanks before ever introducing anything living, such as live rock, plants, coral, fish, etc.

For example, hair algae reproduces by spores. Spores can blow in the wind and withstand drying out. See this link discussing algae spores entering a tank via the air: http://homeaquaria.com/saltwater-algae-control-the-ultimate-guide/

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it can be proven wrong then you shouldn't have a problem proving it. I have had algae in saltwater and freshwater tanks before ever introducing anything living, such as live rock, plants, coral, fish, etc.

For example, hair algae reproduces by spores. Spores can blow in the wind and withstand drying out. See this link discussing algae spores entering a tank via the air: http://homeaquaria.com/saltwater-algae-control-the-ultimate-guide/
This is absolutley correct, it has to be introduced :)
Yes I have no issues proving the growth source of algaes
Its my forte ;)

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

twillard, speaking of H202, I have been searching for a clearly defined process for using H202 to dip my zoa frags in to help remove the algae. I know there are threads on this but one person does it this way another does it that way.. Do you have a process that works? I looking for H202/water mix ratios, how long to dip, any other information, etc..

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twillard, speaking of H202, I have been searching for a clearly defined process for using H202 to dip my zoa frags in to help remove the algae. I know there are threads on this but one person does it this way another does it that way.. Do you have a process that works? I looking for H202/water mix ratios, how long to dip, any other information, etc..
I have not written this up due to the fact that different families of zoanthids react in different ways to H2O2
It is just too risky for my reputation to put information out on dipping zoanthids.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive done 10mil to 1 litre on some plain jane and been fine. That said, I know folks who do say never. never.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dipped in such a high concentration that it bleached the polyps but low and behold they survive.
Still it is risky business to dip as the concentration has to be high enough to kill the algae.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dipped in such a high concentration that it bleached the polyps but low and behold they survive.
Still it is risky business to dip as the concentration has to be high enough to kill the algae.
yea, at $50pp id slow down.

lower dose repeat dips w either peroxide or Revive is likely a safer option. I do use a paint brush/dropper and use full strength peroxide on frag plugs.

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll share some screenshots I took from a YouTube video of a macna speaker

IMG_1481746432.514833.jpg

IMG_1481746444.627231.jpg

IMG_1481746456.209605.jpg

IMG_1481746469.099498.jpg

IMG_1481746480.774905.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back