Killing nuisance Algae

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting that. It's concerning to read that some zoas do well and others don't. I have a big collection and don't want to destroy any... How do you guys feel about this chart, especially with what they recommend for zoas?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha we need this in a sticky in the "algae control" thread that we don't have
so we have been thinking the same thing. I was going to suggest a dip thread but it gets all bayer in there. Mostly a what is sensitive to what rather than debate.
I'll share some screenshots I took from a YouTube video of a macna speaker

IMG_1481746432.514833.jpg

IMG_1481746444.627231.jpg

IMG_1481746456.209605.jpg

IMG_1481746469.099498.jpg

IMG_1481746480.774905.jpg
who was the speaker?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA! "the "algae control" thread that we don't have"
Sounds like now would be a good time to create one, or write an article about it that can be stickied... :cool:

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so we have been thinking the same thing. I was going to suggest a dip thread but it gets all bayer in there. Mostly a what is sensitive to what rather than debate.
Yes, it does get rather bayer in any algae control/coral dip/"my tank has hemorrhoids, HELP" thread... Just dip everything in that stuff, I don't know why we aren't dipping ourselves in it instead of using soap and water. o_Oo_Oo_O

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

who was the speaker?

Justin Grable
Got to watch to the end to see when he is talking about those charts

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA! "the "algae control" thread that we don't have"
Sounds like now would be a good time to create one, or write an article about it that can be stickied... :cool:
I have hinted a few times behind the scenes about creating a section of this sort.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it does get rather bayer in any algae control/coral dip/"my tank has hemorrhoids, HELP" thread... Just dip everything in that stuff, I don't know why we aren't dipping ourselves in it instead of using soap and water. o_Oo_Oo_O
lol.
folks do forget to mention bayer doesn't kill algae. so when they ask what's the best dip.....BAYER!!!, use it then get bryopsis. I d rather have the nudis back.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stake this claim regarding zos and peroxide

if someone builds a peroxide thread and runs it for 8 yrs the outcome will be zoanthids as a whole are the most tolerant group of corals we keep to any form, any dilution of peroxide.

are there isolated stories of loss? sure, but non stat significant. we found them to be the poor hydrodynamic profile-type zos...solitary laggards perishing

not the tight low colonies (strength/feed/resilience as a mat)

I put 35% on mine repeatedly to try and stop them from overtaking some sps. didn't work, immune.

35% is so mean nobody uses it, well only the rogues and those who aren't playing around lol.

Last edited:

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stake this claim regarding zos and peroxide

if someone builds a peroxide thread and runs it for 8 yrs the outcome will be zoanthids as a whole are the most tolerant group of corals we keep to any form, any dilution of peroxide.

are there isolated stories of loss? sure, but non stat significant. I put 35% on mine repeatedly to try and stop them from overtaking some sps. didn't work, immune.

35% is so mean nobody uses it, well only the rogues and those who aren't playing around lol.
Only Brandon nails it with 35% don't tempt me to use it!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot figure out why it is that when that spills on my hand the pain is clear, but directly on my brain coral its literally no effect if washed out fast. there is a zero lag time for skin burn, that stuff is mean. it should not be avail OTC, nor as a bath additive, and that's how nature health stores sell the 35% in the refrigerated section. some stores sell it as a fruit pre wash, where it is quite good. laundry additive, quite good. beats oxyclean fifty times over.

one spill into a lap accidentally is a burn so caustic again I cannot believe minor children can purchase that stuff in a health food store. handy reef additive it is. I personally would not keep 35% in any home where small children are there, even if it is put up.

Last edited:

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot figure out why it is that when that spills on my hand the pain is clear, but directly on my brain coral its literally no effect if washed out fast. there is a zero lag time for skin burn, that stuff is mean. it should not be avail OTC, nor as a bath additive, and that's how nature health stores sell the 35% in the refrigerated section. some stores sell it as a fruit pre wash, where it is quite good. laundry additive, quite good. beats oxyclean fifty times over.

one spill into a lap accidentally is a burn so caustic again I cannot believe minor children can purchase that stuff in a health food store. handy reef additive it is. I personally would not keep 35% in any home where small children are there, even if it is put up.

Brandon, what is your process for using peroxide on zoas?

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the original topic... I use a yellow tang and an algae blenny. The yt even ate the hair algae that came in on some frags. Had a reefer friend over the other day, said my little tang was such a cute little baby! But he mows down algae like a trooper.

That said, I haven't been able to grow coralline except on the rocks it came in on, so my rocks look bare. I was having serious algae/cyano/diatom problems before those two fish were added. No more issues with that, so now maybe the coralline can take hold

Back