True, False, or somewhere in between: Does blue light limit nuisance algae?

Does blue light limit nuisance algae?

• Blue lights limit all types of nuisance algae.

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Blue lights limit many, but not all types of nuisance algae.

Votes: 77 27.6%
  • Blue lights limit some algae and make way for other types of nuisance algae.

Votes: 37 13.3%
  • Blue lights don’t limit nuisance algae.

Votes: 144 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.3%

• Total voters

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea, but this study from 2018 says that "blue light reduces photosynthetic efficiency of cyanobacteria through an imbalance between photosystems I and II".

So I assume that means blue light will at least inhibit the growth of some algae.
Cyano is a bacteria not an algea

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct - however it used to be called 'blue-green algae' - and in many articles the terms are used interchangeable (though they should not be)

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue light grows coral it will grow algea. Look at the blue spectrum. Blue is for growth and reds for flowering and seeds is my understanding.
This is correct. I have my blue/white grow lights on all of the time and turn the red on when I see buds starting on anything the flowers or produces fruit, bog lily, spider wort, strawberries, and another vining one that gets flowers.

edit forgot to say the fruits wont form without the red and the flowers do bloom with out it but shrivel very fast.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Leave it to Google to show me a bacteria study when I searched for algae, and no idea why I didn't catch it.

Correct - however it used to be called 'blue-green algae' - and in many articles the terms are used interchangeable (though they should not be)
It is bacteria. However it is photosynthetic and contains chlorophyll so......

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not limit it but it does make it harder to see.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue light grows coral the same way it grows algae. Chlorophyll is the thing that makes both algae and coral grow... what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

original.png

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think is more folk lore than reality. I've never had algae issues with white lighting. Algae issues are about nutrient control, and in my opinion, a lack of consistent water changes which seems to be the fad these days. Regardless of it's impact on algae, I find the all blue all of the time look to be ugly. But that's obviously personal preference. The Windex trend is a trend I'm skipping.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue light hides algae and makes it look better, but it sure as heck doesn’t prevent it.

romperstomper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my tank on blues and have always believed it reduces algae growth along with improving the looks of corals and the tank , but as pointed out turn the whites on and yuk ,so maybe blues just does a much better job of hiding it .

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so the red component of the spectrum is pretty much gone within the first 25 m of ocean depth. So macro algae that live at that depth, mostly red algae, never get any of the red spectrum for photosynthesis. Green algae that tend to grow in very shallow water get a lot of the red spectrum as well as a lot of the blue so they respond well to both those components for photosynthesis.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I just ask you - most of the 'reef' is in full sun - at shore - and lower as deeper via various spectra. But - I've never heard that Macroalgae living at 75 feet underwater are mostly 'Red Algae'?

I've also never seen the extreme fluorescence seen in many 'blue' tanks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Almost 140 years ago, professor Theodor Engelmann showed that light color plays an important role in photosynthesis (Engelmann 1882). From the research provided by @JayM
If you read the original link (at least the one I get to after clicking your link, I do not get that this was the 'conclusion' of the article.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the original link (at least the one I get to after clicking your link, I do not get that this was the 'conclusion' of the article.
Sure, first I never said it was the conclusion. And, it still doesn't change the fact that different spectral components influence photosynthesis within different producers.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The key words IMHO are '..... is somewhat imprecise' - the implication for the rest is that depending on nutrition, elements AND light (to me). However, According to this - it seems like Red Algae grow best at areas of 75 feet. OK - but I'm not sure that says anything about blue vs red light. For example - perhaps the reason there are more algae at 75 feet is PAR. ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure, but it still doesn't change the fact that different spectral components influence photosynthesis within different producers.
What if it's really 'total light, i.e. PAR'? There is, of course no way to know. Right?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back