True, False, or somewhere in between: Does blue light limit nuisance algae?

Does blue light limit nuisance algae?

• Blue lights limit all types of nuisance algae.

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Blue lights limit many, but not all types of nuisance algae.

Votes: 77 27.6%
  • Blue lights limit some algae and make way for other types of nuisance algae.

Votes: 37 13.3%
  • Blue lights don’t limit nuisance algae.

Votes: 144 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Blue light limits nuisance algae - this is a recommendation that seems to come up occasionally, but is it true? Does blue light limit nuisance algae? Many of the algae in our tank flourish with white lights and high nutrients. After all this is what we feed our macro tanks and refugiums to help them thrive. However, when we lower the whites and increase the blues in our lighting does this just shift the parameters in our tanks to create the space for other types of algae to grow? Please let us know what you have found in your tank and what you think about the impact of blue lighting on nuisance algae.

Uncle99_BlueLightTank.jpeg

Photo by @Uncle99

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, i believe the difference between white and blue in the display isn't much.
If you have an algae issue, this is not the area of concern.

Refugium grow lights are always in the red spectrum. So take that for what its worth.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even algae looks better under blues.
The green algae in this tanks is not at all visible under blues .I freaked out a bit when I accidentally blasted the whites one day and saw it for the first time (it was way worse then). I did what any respectable reefer would do and turned those whites back off and pretended I didn't see what I saw :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

EDIT forgot the photo
PXL_20240130_170215719.jpg

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TheSaltySpitoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... do reefers use a picometer to measure the light intensity in their Pico tanks?

Sorry I couldn't resist
Thanks for asking that question for yourself :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Yea, the probe wands for those other meters are so long and clumsy with these smaller reefs.

Shalom and no shame :smiling-face-with-sunglasses::loudly-crying-face:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have led grow lights over my fresh tanks with plants growing out the top of the tank roots submerged. The lights are blue and white for veg and red white and blue for bloom. The blue and white alone grow those plants well. I dont see how going all blue will effectively deter algae growth. Chlorophyll uses blue light, algae and plants have chlorophyll. Like others have said I think it makes it less obvious.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IME, i believe the difference between white and blue in the display isn't much.
If you have an algae issue, this is not the area of concern.

Refugium grow lights are always in the red spectrum. So take that for what its worth.
These are my thoughts as well. I feel like there *may* be a VERY limited reduction by using blue light (due to lack of red spectrum that is present in white light), but that won't be enough of a difference to mitigate any real issues. If there's a real algae problem in a tank, changing lighting won't do enough good to be worth the trade off. As others have noted, where other factors are favorable to algae growth, it will grow just fine under blue or white light.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blue light limits nuisance algae - this is a recommendation that seems to come up occasionally, but is it true? Does blue light limit nuisance algae? Many of the algae in our tank flourish with white lights and high nutrients. After all this is what we feed our macro tanks and refugiums to help them thrive. However, when we lower the whites and increase the blues in our lighting does this just shift the parameters in our tanks to create the space for other types of algae to grow? Please let us know what you have found in your tank and what you think about the impact of blue lighting on nuisance algae.

Uncle99_BlueLightTank.jpeg

Photo by @Uncle99

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”
Blue light grows coral it will grow algea. Look at the blue spectrum. Blue is for growth and reds for flowering and seeds is my understanding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back