Killing nuisance Algae

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi twilliard, I'm sure you've covered this somewhere before but what's your thoughts on dosing the whole tank with H202 to get rid of algae that's already in there?
Heck ya! I never fear dosing H2O2
I have yet to see and document a single negative.
Currently on my tank (from my cyano outbreak-dang vinegar leak) I am dosing 2.5Ml Hr 3:1 ratio

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck ya! I never fear dosing H2O2
I have yet to see and document a single negative.
Currently on my tank (from my cyano outbreak-dang vinegar leak) I am dosing 2.5Ml Hr 3:1 ratio

Thanks for the reassurance! I've been wanting to give it a go! I have a 450l tank so any idea what a good starting dose would be? My algae isn't bad just a few patches here and there that i'd like to see the back of!!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reassurance! I've been wanting to give it a go! I have a 450l tank so any idea what a good starting dose would be? My algae isn't bad just a few patches here and there that i'd like to see the back of!!
12ml 2X day if not using a dosing or infusion pump
ORP will drop slightly for 4-6 hours depending on system

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in our old threads we apply it literally any way possible on zoanthids with no rules. we had people dipping whole colonies in straight 3% for five mins, harsh lol, or half diluted with sw just the same. I was putting 35% directly on my brown zos outside the tank (direct contact) to try and kill them, and they just opened up the next day. mushroom corals begin to reproduce when burned, such a paradox given certain species

even the fancier $$ zo varieties people were mostly dipping in diluted mixes but I do it a different way, I try not to contact the corals when algae control is the goal.

very rarely does the algae grow directly on the zo mat even though its possible because its tough with sand inclusions lots of times... we can usually use dental tools to rasp out/detail scrape the algae and holdfasts off the plug then use peroxide only on the cleaned areas that were manually debrided clean. that way contacts no peroxide to zos

for the ones where they were anchored onto the flesh, I would still use tweezers to pull the main bulk and use peroxide only as the cleanup zap

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes pls see, we really put time and effort into this. this thread on page one has links to reefcentral, and nano-reef.com, where the combined peroxide pages are about 300 all in one place. we're drawing from massive patterns/wise to inspect before running any claim:

the work began in 2011. notice we never dose it into the water, this way above is updated to work the best and not kill nontargets, plus remove your invasion's feed source. dosing peroxide into the water adds to the feed source, by compiling rotten targets along with what fed them. we're opposite.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back