kinetic RSR 170

jasonw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted links on where you can get the aluminum tube and the heatsink. I have a chiller too, but the chiller can't chill the lights. That's the problem.

Just checked the links for heat sink only ship in US not to Malaysia. Just on the led for more than 12 hours and the Led little bit warm when touch.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked the links for heat sink only ship in US not to Malaysia. Just on the led for more than 12 hours and the Led little bit warm when touch.

Ah that's too bad! Yeah keep testing the heat on those LED's. Don't let it damage the acrylic/plastic of the reactor, and definitely check for corrosion on the electrical connectors often too.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Nitrates holding at 10ppm
Phosphates holding at 0.02ppm

I started dosing NoPox last week again to bring my nitrates down from 25ppm and my phosphates were pretty high at 0.06ppm. I was dosing 4.5 ml a day. Last couple days the tank got a bit cloudy, so decided to back off on the dosage a bit (2 ml a day). Hope it'll clear up in the next few days! Also don't want to strip the tank of nitrates/phosphates too much. I've noticed that algae has been stopped completely (CUC + algae reactor + nopox + skimming).

This Thursday my harem of ocellaris arrive!

1. Mocha DaVinci/Gladiator
2. Mocha DaVinci/Gladiator
3. Fancy White Extreme
4. Fancy White DaVinci/Gladiator
5. Vivid Fancy
6. Chocolate Mocha

Excited to introduce them.

I've also decided to not keep a H Magnifica anymore. It would really outgrow my tank too fast. I'll keep a couple BTA's instead. The current rainbow BTA I have has been the first. I'm going to be getting a CC Green Grape and probably saving the last spot for something rare, like a Colorado Sunburst, Inferno, Supernova, or creamscicle. But that's just a dream, those nems are so expensive.

Photos this Thursday!

I've still been struggling with how loud my Simplicity 120 DC skimmer has been acting. Despite all the great customer service from Simplicity, I'm still unhappy how loud it is. They want a video with sound recording, but my iPhone just doesn't pickup the sound at all. I'm not crazy, I asked my friends if they could hear it in the next room and they could. The pump without any air or without the wedge pipe closed is pretty much silent, but with the air and wedge pipe closed, it's just too loud for me. I am thinking of finding a NYOS Quantum and comparing them.

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! interested to see how a harem will do , i originally wanted to do it but i read up on so many risks although sometimes it works out. What size are they planning on sending?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! interested to see how a harem will do , i originally wanted to do it but i read up on so many risks although sometimes it works out. What size are they planning on sending?

Yes, your worries are well founded! I’m also worried, and doing what I can to make it happen. They’ll all be 1”-1.25”.

The one trick I’m trying is the mocha davinci are actually a very small bonded pair. The female is 1.75” and male is 1.25”. The hope / trick here is that the female is established already, which will keep the bickering from happening for the top spot. The male should be at least as large as the others, and could become the alpha male without much problem. Therefore I’m hoping the hierarchy will set really fast. Not sure at all if it will work. I’m ready to part them all out to good homes in the extreme case it goes south.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's the day:

37538582140_0c1f11b6b4_b.jpg

37796870161_69b7517ede_b.jpg

Packing list:

37087267694_07da49e349_b.jpg

Free food! Awesome SA! I already prepped PE Mysis, ON Reef Flakes, but this is going to be great to add to the diversity.

37796864631_d834b064c3_b.jpg

dang, this is the scary part. I am always nervous. What you want: cutest dang ocellaris the world ever did see. What you don't want: DOA =( =( But the shipping box was awesome and no problems with delivery so should be good...

37538566240_51209d9046_b.jpg

First one out! WHEW! He's alive and f***ing beautiful.

37538559190_d229d620a2_b.jpg

Next came the mocha caramel. He's not a misbar, just weird distortion from the double bags:

37538553580_4720807428_b.jpg

I have a pair of mocha gladiators as well. The idea is that the female will be largest, though not by much, and there will be a quickly set hierarchy for minimal bickering. We'll see. Alpha male might be a tough one to assert:

37538547470_c7a5680f70_b.jpg

Fancy White aka Gladiator. Are you not entertained?

37540190860_a1924f6dca_b.jpg

They all made it! Floating for temp. Sustainable Aquatics specifically says not to drip acclimate these guys. I am skeptical but they have quite the reputation and these guys are so healthy. So a quick float and I'll transfer (with fish net) to the display soon after.

37540195310_2084752410_b.jpg

All done floating, and added the Fancy White Extreme and the Vivid Fancy first. The Vivid Fancy is a bit larger than I was hoping for. I hope he doesn't become a problem. Fancy White Extreme is the smallest. These guys came together instantly. So funny that they just wanna group together. Cutest dang things ever.

37766243122_17ccf798ec_b.jpg

OK, I couldn't keep taking photos between each intro, so here are the rest of the photos. it's really hard to take a group photo of these clowns. It's a circus!

37128155643_2602a6692f_b.jpg

37766235212_927a927e83_b.jpg

37128136183_c367757f30_b.jpg

37128142003_e5c8b6df3a_b.jpg

37766214762_0ba0b5d19b_b.jpg

37766231812_a7f24f5ea8_b.jpg

I tried to label them, a few times. I'm actually not entirely sure which one is the fancy extreme white and the fancy white (aka gladiator). They're both amazing. I think the Extreme is a bit smaller. They do look slightly different, but not sure what is more extreme than the other.

37088976734_35ae468512_b.jpg

That's it for now! More photos once they settle down and I have more time (and patience) to get a good group photo and get good shots of each from the sides.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking clowns.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've mostly decided to not get a H. Magnifica for this tank. It would just outgrow it too quickly most likely. I'm heading towards a bunch of collector BTAs instead and hoping the ocellaris will decide to take them as a host.

But, on the off chance I get the opportunity, I have three pieces of tonga shelf rock. Today I smeared on a thin layer of aquastick putty on a 9" x 7" piece to give a nice smooth pedestal for any magnifica that happens my way, just in case. I even have a huge piece for any possible future tank upgrade for the mag as well ;)

23988299638_2b50dcd1c3_b.jpg

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was battling quite the bacteria bloom the last week. over the weekend it was so bad, I couldn't see anything at all in the tank.

October 23:
37175680463_0d277247cd_b.jpg

Right after that photo, did a 30 gallon water change, here's a photo with about 20-25 gallons out:
37175680313_3d1cf08ca7_b.jpg

October 23 after 30 gallon water change:
37864712832_8f55484818_b.jpg

October 24 around 7pm. 24-ish hours after water change and running 9watt UV:
24080542968_75063425ff_b.jpg

October 25 (today), at 11am:
24080541088_581457d24b_b.jpg

It's basically crystal clear now, two days after a huge water change + UV sterilizer. I'm going to leave the UV on for the week, and then take it offline to see what's up. I'll be doing small 5% water changes every other day and testing all parameters just in case.

I think a few factors helped:
1. No more dosing of anything (a week ago)
2. Gigantic water change (30g is a significant amount for my system)
3. UV Sterilizer
4. Maybe bacteria bloom was already on its way out?

Let's cross fingers that this is the end of the weeklong haze. It could be argued I could have waited a bit longer to see if it went away on its own without a UV, but hey, it worked?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bout the bacteria bloom , but glad you seem to got it under control [emoji41]

Thanks Clayton! It was such an eyesore. I was worried about the dissolved oxygen levels, though nothing ever looked distressed. In fact everything looked pretty happy. My copepod population was through the roof too. All over the glass. They loved it.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:

Clownfish:
Added another Fancy White Extreme and a Fancy White Gladiator from SA! They're from the same clutches as the first two. Now at 7 clowns. Aggression is low, and they are all eating well. Keeping an eye on the largest Fancy White Gladiator (the one I got in the first batch of two). He's kind of larger than the others and a bully. I'm surprised the bonded pair has totally mellowed out since I gave away the larger Vivid Fancy. I'm thinking of selling the larger gladiator if he keeps being a bully.

Cloudiness:
The tank has been 100% clear of cloudy bacteria since the UV was on. It cleared up 2 days after running the UV. I have had it off for 48 hours now and tank is maintaining it's clear look. I'm optimistic I can remove the UV completely out and not have to turn it back on.

Skimmer:
Switched out my Simplicity to the NYOS Quantum 120. So far these sound is better, and it's skimming! The Simplicty struggled, especially because I had to close the wedge pipe completely and skim as wet as possible to get it to do it's job. NYOS seems totally fine and now skimming nicely after a week. I'll probably take a photo soon.

Vivid Creative Aquatics Random Flow Generator Nozzle:
I ordered the new @Vivid Creative Aquatics random flow generator nozzle, with the red sea adapter kit in 1/2" size. They are a new sponsor on R2R. I was excited! After opening and installing, which was really easy, the adapter immediately sprouted leaks. A lot. The plastic seems a bit cheap and light. The finish on it is really not great, almost like it was just 3D printed out of something that's not very heavy duty. I guess I'm used to nicely manufactured PVC or acrylic, but this is kind of cheap. I'm guessing when the 3D printer layers on the plastic to make the tubing, it was just too thin. The idea is good, the execution not so much. I sent in a support email to see if I can get a replacement. But it is concerning because there was no damage to it, so it just came that way. The Quality Control isn't doing a quick water test, otherwise it would've been instantly clear it doesn't hold water. Hoping the replacement works, but skeptical on the quality. I hope I just have a dud.

Video of the spraying water:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lv6hka6r5hhyg5/bad nozzle.mov?dl=0

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:

Vivid Creative Aquatics Random Flow Generator Nozzle:
I ordered the new @Vivid Creative Aquatics random flow generator nozzle, with the red sea adapter kit in 1/2" size. They are a new sponsor on R2R. I was excited! After opening and installing, which was really easy, the adapter immediately sprouted leaks. A lot. The plastic seems a bit cheap and light. The finish on it is really not great, almost like it was just 3D printed out of something that's not very heavy duty. I guess I'm used to nicely manufactured PVC or acrylic, but this is kind of cheap. I'm guessing when the 3D printer layers on the plastic to make the tubing, it was just too thin. The idea is good, the execution not so much. I sent in a support email to see if I can get a replacement. But it is concerning because there was no damage to it, so it just came that way. The Quality Control isn't doing a quick water test, otherwise it would've been instantly clear it doesn't hold water. Hoping the replacement works, but skeptical on the quality. I hope I just have a dud.

Video of the spraying water:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lv6hka6r5hhyg5/bad nozzle.mov?dl=0

That's definitely not good - and certainty not the way it's supposed to function. We did receive your email and we'll get this taking care of immediately. We'll reach out to you tomorrow morning and get you a replacement ASAP.
We do take our QC process very seriously and do our best not to let things like this out the door. thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely not good - and certainty not the way it's supposed to function. We did receive your email and we'll get this taking care of immediately. We'll reach out to you tomorrow morning and get you a replacement ASAP.
We do take our QC process very seriously and do our best not to let things like this out the door. thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Got your reply! Thank you! I'll update when I get it =) Can't wait!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back