kinetic RSR 170

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! So elegant, that's one thing i will miss, having clowns hosting as with mine i won't be able to have a nem because it's stocked to the max! Are those nems not suppose to move after being on a pedalstal?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! So elegant, that's one thing i will miss, having clowns hosting as with mine i won't be able to have a nem because it's stocked to the max! Are those nems not suppose to move after being on a pedalstal?

Yeah your tank is super maxed!

H Mags like smooth non-porous surfaces, and will mostly only climb up towards light and flow, including tank walls. Usually they won’t go down a rock face. So a high pedestal rock that is flat, smooth, and far enough away from the tank walls, has a super high chance of working out. I’m crossing my fingers.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48 hours update:

Mag goes from tall vase inflation to squat fat. It has to do with the flow in the tank. I have a Maxspect Gyre on the Ocean Gyre Current preset, which will have fairly still periods and then whips it around for a while longer (even sometimes running the impellers backwards). When it's still, the mag gets squat and fat. When the flow is high the mag gets tall and vase like. It's either the mag inflating itself, or the flow pulling it up (maybe a bit of both). The foot is truly just 3" across, but the top is easily 6 - 7".

FTS first:
38163451012_39ac289e8a_b.jpg

Closeup including foot in squat mode:
38163445782_7db54b32cf_b.jpg

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Back to what it was on the day I shipped it. [emoji1] Super happy to have been able to provide this guy for you and it remain healthy!

It really looks amazing. I can't thank you enough. What a beautiful magnifica!

Man your photography skills is on point!

Thanks rice! I've been working on it ;) Shot commercially for many years (auto/cars, events, portraits, fashion, and a lot of non-profit charity work as well). Tanks are still one of the harder things to photograph. Fast moving animals, crazy equipment, etc.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to put the mocha gladiators into a breeder box for a few hours to see what would happen. They happily swam into my net and didn't really care so much in the breeder box. In fact they were just wiggle dancing with each other the whole time. So dumb, it's great.

Three of the 4 remaining males eventually found themselves back into the anemone, but the fighting was pretty rough, and eventually only one was in the anemone, chasing everyone else out. Weirdly, he is one of the smaller guys. Big attitude. Anyway, they had their play time, and I let the mochas out. They swam back and reclaimed the mag. The winner of the small guys tried to wiggle dance his way to staying, but eventually he swam a few inches away and is still hovering there now.

Aggression back to normal. The pair just chases anyone out, and the rest just hover close by.

Not sure if I should feel bad for the small males, since they were perfectly fine without a mag. But watching how happy they were and how happy the female/alpha are makes me a bit sad. Let's hope the small males will take to the BTAs at some point.

The whole point of putting the pair into isolation was to see if the smaller males would all share the nem like they did in the beginning. It seems like that was just them as newbies to that world getting acquainted, then their innate aggression of territory kicked in. I probably could've given it some more time, but the breeder box isn't the biggest and the lights were starting to dim.

I'm enjoying experimenting a bit as long as it doesn't seem harmful, but I think I'll change gears soon and just let everything settle over time and mature a bit more. It's still early.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turned around and one of the small males finally found his way into the bubbletip. He only stayed for a little while, and left. I think the flow is too strong. I'm thinking of turning down the flow just a tad. Though maybe I should just leave it and see if he returns.

He seemed to be pretty happy in it, but struggled to stay in when the gyre kicked in.

38203288492_fb7d22354f_b.jpg

38203282022_ed2defe51b_b.jpg

38203276582_c82f492ac5_b.jpg

A further away system shot with the magnifica in full vase mode:

38203298562_449efa7234_b.jpg

38203292342_9f318866dc_b.jpg

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some readings on my tank today using an Apogee PAR meter that my local club owns (Bay Area Reefers):

AquaIlluminations Hydra 52 HD using a SPS AB+ w/ High Peaks program, modified with a lot more whites. 9" above the water.

38317501326_2026c422c6_b.jpg

37658614704_92b15befa7_b.jpg

Anemones:
My H. Magnifica is getting a bit over 400. The BTAs about 269.

Shaded area under the H. Mag pedestal are pretty terrible. Probably can't grow anything there (dendros probably on the list).

Back two corners of the tank are probably low enough for LPS/softies. I was thinking of a small zoa rock on one side, scoly / open brain on the other?

Probably just going to keep the lighting where it is. I'm thinking the high 200 - 300 will work well for a few sticks of SPS (as long as they don't get stung).

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally exploded my Neptune AFS, which lead to about 4 months of food getting dumped into the tank. Here's what I learned:
  1. Never load a feeder with that much food. Only add 1 week worth of food into the feeder, and change weekly.
  2. Never try to do anything with the feeder while it's over the tank
I put a contraption together with a MJ400 pump. I had a 1/2" tube (from my water changing siphon) that I attached to the outlet of the pump, zip tied a filter sock on the end of it (don't use filter socks anymore, just a filter cup), and used the pump's intake (with a fish guard) as a vacuum. I basically started sucking up all the food out of the water column and sand (tank flow off) and dumping the water back in, filtering out the food into the sock. It worked for the most part without needing a ton of water changes.

The MJ400 wasn't strong enough to get everything out, so I decided to just let the return run everything into the sump and change out the filter pad later and do very large water changes the next few days.

Impressively, day 1 after the feast, ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, and phosphates went from 0 to 17ppb (0.05ppm about). Amazing, go tank! At least my chaeto has more phosphates to grow. Day 2 and everything is still 0, with my phosphates down to 0.04ppm / 14ppb.

I am not sure why I'm reading 0 nitrates. I checked with two different kits (Red Sea and Salifert). Overall, phosphates seem to be coming down, and I think it has to do with algae in the tank and my chaeto reactor.

Other things that can be helping both phosphates and nitrates:
  1. Skimmer is definitely skimming well
  2. Marinepure Plate in the sump has extremely low flow. It's actually standing upright at a slight angle in the sump, and has the water almost at a standstill on one side. I've heard that in very low flow situations, the marinepure media has actually been recorded to reduce nitrates. Not sure, maybe the bacteria is doing something else in that area.
  3. Just overall animals, pods, etc. are doing a good job?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the auto feeder mishap but glad to hear the tank is doing well

Learned my lesson! I spent about 5 hours trying to clean up the mess. But happy my tank is taking the huge food dump like a champ.

Not sure what to do next. I might start thinking about SPS and will need to pickup some AquaForest components for dosing. There's some good black friday deals happening on both AquaForest products and some Bubble Magus dosers.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to run AquaForest products as well. I love my Bubble magus BM-T01 doser , I would like to replace it one day with either the newer BM-T11 doser or the GHL Doser 2.1 or a Apex DOS set up . But strongly encourage getting the BM doser to get you started ;)

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to run AquaForest products as well. I love my Bubble magus BM-T01 doser , I would like to replace it one day with either the newer BM-T11 doser or the GHL Doser 2.1 or a Apex DOS set up . But strongly encourage getting the BM doser to get you started ;)
Yes! I’ve had a MB-T01 before. It wasn’t bad. Terribly hard to calibrate and program, but it worked.

I’m wondering if I should just wait and get the Apex DOS... kind of pricey and I would need 2.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back