Klir DI-7 (Do positive reviews exist?)

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone. So I've been reading tons and tons of negative reviews for this product, across multiple forums. Has anyone actually had positive experience with this? I bought this in advance of setting up my 300 gallon. I'm wondering if I should get rid of it and purchase a different product. I would like to at least give it a try but if the general consensus is that they suck, they I may skip plumbing it into my setup.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've read plenty of positive reviews. Most negative ones I see are from before they put in a bigger motor. I have the 4" and love it.
I loved reading this! What do you like most about it? Have you had any issues with it? Have you had to reach out to Klir for replacement parts? Does yours snag? Does it stop rolling after the roll gets too heavy with water?Are you reading the positive reviews here on R2R?
I hope to read more positive reviews.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the DI-7 on my 200g system a while back. I really liked it. It is not a perfect product, but did a great job in my tank. I did not have issues with the roll snagging or stopping when it got loaded with water, after replacing the motor with the new larger motor (sent free from Coralview, just had to send a couple pictures of the small motor). It worked when I needed it to and kept me from having to change filter socks every couple days.

My only real complaint was when it came time to change rolls. Where changing filter socks takes only a minute, just a couple times a week, Changing rolls was more time consuming. I didn't have a lot of clearance in my stand, so removing the unit was a little tricky, but quite doable. It was the actual changing of the rolls that was the hardest. It may have just been me, but I found that feeding the paper through the unit while trying to keep the rollers in place (not rolling out of the unit) was a bit frustrating. The whole process would take me about 10-15 minutes, start to finish.

Even with the frustration of changing the rolls, I would still be using it if I still had the tank. The convenience of once a month changes and not cleaning endless filter socks made it worth it to me.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using two 7's slaved together on my 180 and they have been awesome. I'm super happy with them and am getting great life from the rolls. Would buy them all over again without question. The are super efficient at stripping the water clean so far.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the DI-7 on my 200g system a while back. I really liked it. It is not a perfect product, but did a great job in my tank. I did not have issues with the roll snagging or stopping when it got loaded with water, after replacing the motor with the new larger motor (sent free from Coralview, just had to send a couple pictures of the small motor). It worked when I needed it to and kept me from having to change filter socks every couple days.

My only real complaint was when it came time to change rolls. Where changing filter socks takes only a minute, just a couple times a week, Changing rolls was more time consuming. I didn't have a lot of clearance in my stand, so removing the unit was a little tricky, but quite doable. It was the actual changing of the rolls that was the hardest. It may have just been me, but I found that feeding the paper through the unit while trying to keep the rollers in place (not rolling out of the unit) was a bit frustrating. The whole process would take me about 10-15 minutes, start to finish.

Even with the frustration of changing the rolls, I would still be using it if I still had the tank. The convenience of once a month changes and not cleaning endless filter socks made it worth it to me.
Awesome! So glad to hear this

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using two 7's slaved together on my 180 and they have been awesome. I'm super happy with them and am getting great life from the rolls. Would buy them all over again without question. The are super efficient at stripping the water clean so far.
This is what I would ideally like to do. I can fit 2 in my stock chambers. Super stoked hearing this from you.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DI-7 and while I had to make some adjustments because of my sump, I’m otherwise very pleased with it. I had a couple of issues at the beginning but tech support was great. So much better than filter socks.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a DI-7 and while I had to make some adjustments because of my sump, I’m otherwise very pleased with it. I had a couple of issues at the beginning but tech support was great. So much better than filter socks.
I hope you all keep these coming. You guys are motivating me to buy a second one.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you all keep these coming. You guys are motivating me to buy a second one.
I'm a newbie to this (a little more than a year). In hindsight, I don't regret starting with socks because I learned a lot about mechanical filtration etc. But if I had the chance to change my sump -- knowing what I know now -- I wouldn't hesitate to put in a roller fleece filter system.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a newbie to this (a little more than a year). In hindsight, I don't regret starting with socks because I learned a lot about mechanical filtration etc. But if I had the chance to change my sump -- knowing what I know now -- I wouldn't hesitate to put in a roller fleece filter system.
I've had filter socks in the past. I'm in a position right now where I am starting a new tank and so I do have the ability to change the layout of my sump. So i am not hesitant to put a fleece roller in my system. Specifically, I am concerned about the amount of negative reviews the Klir DI-7 roller has. I already own it. It's sitting at my house brand new in box. Just after so many negative reviews I started questioning whether I wanted to use it or not. If not, then I would absolutely purchased a different brand fleece roller.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved reading this! What do you like most about it? Have you had any issues with it? Have you had to reach out to Klir for replacement parts? Does yours snag? Does it stop rolling after the roll gets too heavy with water?Are you reading the positive reviews here on R2R?
I hope to read more positive reviews.
Mine works perfectly. The problems you mentioned were with the old motor. All better now.

ReefLaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have my Klir hooked up to my hydros control 4 and it has been running flawlessly. It even hooks up directly to a drive port so you don't need to use another outlet. What kind of life are you guys getting out of your rolls? My first one lasted a month

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the KI-DI 4 and love it, my only complaint is if you don't keep the water sensor clean, it may randomly trigger the roller, which has happen to me a few times. Eventually the controller does stop it from rolling and you get warning beeps but I have use up the roll a lot sooner than I should. I usually give the sensor a good wipe when replacing the fleece rolls.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefLaw I get about six weeks out of a 25 yard roll on my 120. Lightly stocked but I feed medium/heavy. I’m with @ctnguye3 you need to keep the sensor clean. Mine is mounted so that the long edge if the prism is vertically. I wipe it down each time I change the fleece

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back