Klir DI-7 (Do positive reviews exist?)

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing like you I bought 2 klir 7 for my new 300 gallon build. Then started to do research and found a lot of bad reviews but I end up continuing with my build anyways and I am supper happy I did. I am very please with my 2 klir 7 running off 1 controller that is controlled by my apex aswell. For what it’s worth after integrating them to my apex and fabricating my own bracket for sensor I am getting 3-4 month out of the roles. Then yes it takes about 15 min each to swap out the old role for new because this time is also spend to hose each unit off in the sink to remove all the gunk. But changing role sometimes only takes 5 min when I do my trick I have. I use 2 paper clips and clip new role to end of old role and hold button to advance role and pull new one thru. Most times this works sometimes clips get snagged and I can either try again or have to remove klir to clean and feed new role. When it does fail both clips are always on either new or old role and do not fall in sump. Hope this helps

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing like you I bought 2 klir 7 for my new 300 gallon build. Then started to do research and found a lot of bad reviews but I end up continuing with my build anyways and I am supper happy I did. I am very please with my 2 klir 7 running off 1 controller that is controlled by my apex aswell. For what it’s worth after integrating them to my apex and fabricating my own bracket for sensor I am getting 3-4 month out of the roles. Then yes it takes about 15 min each to swap out the old role for new because this time is also spend to hose each unit off in the sink to remove all the gunk. But changing role sometimes only takes 5 min when I do my trick I have. I use 2 paper clips and clip new role to end of old role and hold button to advance role and pull new one thru. Most times this works sometimes clips get snagged and I can either try again or have to remove klir to clean and feed new role. When it does fail both clips are always on either new or old role and do not fall in sump. Hope this helps
That’s a brilliant move! Thanks for sharing.

Isolatedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, what depth are you running for your di-7, and do you think the difference in sump depth between the 7-10" recommendation makes a big difference in performance or fleece life?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, what depth are you running for your di-7, and do you think the difference in sump depth between the 7-10" recommendation makes a big difference in performance or fleece life?
This is a good question I have never experimented with different levels but I will measure what I am running them at and get back to you

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about that myself when figuring out my sump dimensions. While it's only a theory as I cannot vary the height that it's installed by lowering it to see if it actually impacts anything, I mounted mine with 11" of clearance. My thinking was to give as much space for the water to settle to lower turbulence in the drain section to avoid the sensor advancing due to that alone. I am running 1,200+ gph for turn over thru two of them slaved together. Below video shows the installation and how calm the water is.

HTH

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea there was some initial problems with the original motors. I also know the spindles were a issue and has been fixed. They also now include a new spindle with every roll. I initially have had issues but now none. I also had one unit ( I run several) which had a bad controller. Not a huge deal for me because I use a Y cable and use one controller for both. CV sent me a new controller.

They can be tricky to load but once you figure it out and have done it several times you learn how.

I actually run mine on a Hydros Control which makes it allot easier now too..

The rolls should not snag unless you load them wrong. Only time they snaged for me is when you bend the unit to get them in. When you go straighten the unit it can snag where you close the unit. You need to be aware of this and roll up any extra and make sure it is not snagged before starting the unit. This is pretty much common sense.

There are easier unit to load out there. These are nice because they just drop right into a filter sock hole so installation is far easier and you should not have to mod the sump in most instances.

I do like them now everything is worked out. At first I was telling CV I was not happy with them but I would buy them.

Last edited:

Isolatedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about that myself when figuring out my sump dimensions. While it's only a theory as I cannot vary the height that it's installed by lowering it to see if it actually impacts anything, I mounted mine with 11" of clearance. My thinking was to give as much space for the water to settle to lower turbulence in the drain section to avoid the sensor advancing due to that alone. I am running 1,200+ gph for turn over thru two of them slaved together. Below video shows the installation and how calm the water is.

HTH

Do you find it performs pretty well for you with that install? Approximately how long do you get out of a roll?
Thanks for the response and video - awesome

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find it performs pretty well for you with that install? Approximately how long do you get out of a roll?
Thanks for the response and video - awesome
I'm very happy with the performance. It's been consistently reliable for me. I get about two months out of a roll.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe to late to the thread but FWIW, I love mine. Wish I had gotten mine right from the start.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months - that's excellent, IMO
For me it's a value proposition. $120/yr (half that if you only have one unit) and I get to remove that daily maintenance of sock changes assuming I used them and have an export method that works where i can step away from my tank for days/weeks on end. I'll gladly pay that.

Isolatedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's a value proposition. $120/yr (half that if you only have one unit) and I get to remove that daily maintenance of sock changes assuming I used them and have an export method that works where i can step away from my tank for days/weeks on end. I'll gladly pay that.
Me too. I'll be setting one of these up!

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the KI-DI 4 and love it, my only complaint is if you don't keep the water sensor clean, it may randomly trigger the roller, which has happen to me a few times. Eventually the controller does stop it from rolling and you get warning beeps but I have use up the roll a lot sooner than I should. I usually give the sensor a good wipe when replacing the fleece rolls.
I have the Klir-7 and mine does lithos a couple times a day. I just replaced my roll a week ago and it’s almost gone again and coralvue is giving me a hard time about it

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Klir-7 and mine does lithos a couple times a day. I just replaced my roll a week ago and it’s almost gone again and coralvue is giving me a hard time about it
I had a very hard time getting the stock sensor and module to operate properly. Seems the stock location and sensor are prone to bubbles and moisture build up which falsely advances the role giving you this problem. The fix for me was to ditch the stock module and sensor and o just have my apex turn it on and off few times a day for few seconds. I’ve adjusted this couple times to get the use out of the fleece that I wanted.

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very hard time getting the stock sensor and module to operate properly. Seems the stock location and sensor are prone to bubbles and moisture build up which falsely advances the role giving you this problem. The fix for me was to ditch the stock module and sensor and o just have my apex turn it on and off few times a day for few seconds. I’ve adjusted this couple times to get the use out of the fleece that I wanted.
That’s what I ended up doing. I put a Neptune optical sensor near it to turn the outlet on and off. It works perfectly. The only problem is it beeps every time it turns on

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back