Klir Filter Review.

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do some minor modifications to my Bashsea sump's top plate by reaming out the acrylic by 1/8th inch, and now it fits perfectly. I am glad to be using the FLIR DI-7. I suggest you install a Acrylic plate with the proper round hole (cut by TAP Plastics) so you can use that awesome Trigger. If the narrow part of the oval needs to be expanded, a Dremel does the trick.
Which Bashsea sump do you have?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read in this thread that some people suggested sanding down a sharp edge to prevent snagging the filter roll. And some one a video with leakage around the filter

Sharp edges are no more. I haven't seen water spilling around the fleece like that before today, but that can be corrected by advancing the roll as @pecan2phat mentioned (Do you know how many gallons per hour you have coming through there? It's rated for up to 750GPH). If there are further refinements we can make to continually improve the design, we definitely want to do that. Our whole team has been made aware of this thread so we can learn from you guys & gals.

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff - more updates. Running on almost 2 months without 1 single fault! Friends - don’t hesitate to buy these with the upgraded motors. Ignore old reviews and trust they won’t fail. They never get stuck anymore! Fleece has never been caught or torn either! Water is crystal clear

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff - more updates. Running on almost 2 months without 1 single fault! Friends - don’t hesitate to buy these with the upgraded motors. Ignore old reviews and trust they won’t fail. They never get stuck anymore! Fleece has never been caught or torn either! Water is crystal clear

source.gif

Kyle Paul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to find info on wether or not these work in aio’s. I see a lot of people using them in the sump.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to find info on wether or not these work in aio’s. I see a lot of people using them in the sump.

We've been asked about this enough I think to warrant looking into building an AIO prototype to try. However, I am not sure the current models would work. I have never seen one used in this fashion myself. I fear the water level in the chamber wouldn't be able to rise high enough to trigger the optical eye to spool the roll. Perhaps you could rig the optical eye so it sat lower, but I really couldn't be certain that it would operate optimally without testing it. Even then, there are so many different all-in-one aquariums on the market—it's not like there is a standard for the back chambers. Which AIO tank are you using?

Kyle Paul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been asked about this enough I think to warrant looking into building an AIO prototype to try. However, I am not sure the current models would work. I have never seen one used in this fashion myself. I fear the water level in the chamber wouldn't be able to rise high enough to trigger the optical eye to spool the roll. Perhaps you could rig the optical eye so it sat lower, but I really couldn't be certain that it would operate optimally without testing it. Even then, there are so many different all-in-one aquariums on the market—it's not like there is a standard for the back chambers. Which AIO tank are you using?

I am using a 65gal JBJ AIO. Having a roller mat sticking out on each side wouldn’t look ideal but it sure would be nice to not worry about cleaning and changing socks

Greg Brugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my Experience with the Klir DI-4.....

I ordered a new Klir Unit a couple weeks ago from MarineAndReef. Somehow, my unit was still a v1 unit and came with the original 3 rpm motor, outdated controller, and bottom half without the rounded edges. In just 1 night, the unit used up an entire roll of Fleece.

After some research, I found this thread on this forum and reached out to CoralVue for support. They ended up shipping me a new montor, controller, sensor, and bottom half with the rounded edge. I thought Great!, now this thing should work...

I installed all the updated parts on Thursday (11/7/19) and here is my experience....
- Woke up Friday morning to the controller beeping. Checked the Klir, appeared okay and water level was below the sensor. Hit reset button and went on with my day.
- Saturday Afternoon. Same issue. Hit Reset button, checked the Klir and water level was below the new sensor. A few moments later after resetting it, the controller decided to beep again. But this beep was different and only lasted a couple seconds and stopped.
- Sunday. No beeps at all, but I checked the Klir and noticed a lot of what appeared to be micro bubbles hitting my probes of my Apex. I took the Klir out and it used up an entire roll again. The roll had rolled up so much that the roll was only on one half of the unit.

Do I believe this unit still has issues? - YES.
Did CoralVue resolve the issue with the new Parts? - No.

I contacted CoralVue again, and now they're asking me to send the unit into them for testing and repair You want me to send something into you that has been broken and hasn't worked correctly from the start? This unit has been very frustrating to say the least. The only thing I'm thankful for is this is being used on a new 150 build and has no livestock in it. Downfall is, when this unit is not working my sump is still collecting Detritus and creates more issues than its worth.

Currently, the unit works fairly well with the outlet I programmed for it on my Apex. The outlet is programmed to come on for 30 seconds every half hour and then stays off for the rest of the time. Problem with using it this way though is, the Klir Controller wasn't designed to be shut on/off 48 times a day like this. Eventually, the Controller will die and will need to be replaced

I'm frustrated to say the least with the Klir and have asked Coralvue to test/verify a working unit and send it to me. Then I'll be happy to send them the defective unit back. I'd prefer to swap out the units instead of not having 0 mechanical filtration on the new build and causing even more detritus build up in my sump.

CoralVue has seen a few videos and pictures of the setup. The Klir is installed as they suggested. The Klir sits in their 4" filter bracket and the sensor is installed the correct way and facing away from the moving water.

If any one needs pictures or videos, I'm happy to share. I also plan to post a video review of this unit on youtube as well so people don't spend all they're hard earned money on something that doesn't work as advertised.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a DI7 last spring. I finally installed it two months ago. The controller was DOA. They sent me a new controller and new motor. Everything has been working great since then. I'm really happy with the unit, but I'm mostly happy I don't have to clean 7x32inch filter socks every three days!

Dave

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ordered a new Klir Unit a couple weeks ago from MarineAndReef. Somehow, my unit was still a v1 unit and came with the original 3 rpm motor, outdated controller, and bottom half without the rounded edges. In just 1 night, the unit used up an entire roll of Fleece.

After some research, I found this thread on this forum and reached out to CoralVue for support. They ended up shipping me a new montor, controller, sensor, and bottom half with the rounded edge. I thought Great!, now this thing should work...

I installed all the updated parts on Thursday (11/7/19) and here is my experience....
- Woke up Friday morning to the controller beeping. Checked the Klir, appeared okay and water level was below the sensor. Hit reset button and went on with my day.
- Saturday Afternoon. Same issue. Hit Reset button, checked the Klir and water level was below the new sensor. A few moments later after resetting it, the controller decided to beep again. But this beep was different and only lasted a couple seconds and stopped.
- Sunday. No beeps at all, but I checked the Klir and noticed a lot of what appeared to be micro bubbles hitting my probes of my Apex. I took the Klir out and it used up an entire roll again. The roll had rolled up so much that the roll was only on one half of the unit.

I contacted CoralVue again, and now they're asking me to send the unit into them for testing and repair You want me to send something into you that has been broken and hasn't worked correctly from the start? This unit has been very frustrating to say the least. The only thing I'm thankful for is this is being used on a new 150 build and has no livestock in it. Downfall is, when this unit is not working my sump is still collecting Detritus and creates more issues than its worth.

Currently, the unit works fairly well with the outlet I programmed for it on my Apex. The outlet is programmed to come on for 30 seconds every half hour and then stays off for the rest of the time. Problem with using it this way though is, the Klir Controller wasn't designed to be shut on/off 48 times a day like this. Eventually, the Controller will die and will need to be replaced

I'm frustrated to say the least with the Klir and have asked Coralvue to test/verify a working unit and send it to me. Then I'll be happy to send them the defective unit back. I'd prefer to swap out the units instead of not having 0 mechanical filtration on the new build and causing even more detritus build up in my sump.

CoralVue has seen a few videos and pictures of the setup. The Klir is installed as they suggested. The Klir sits in their 4" filter bracket and the sensor is installed the correct way and facing away from the moving water.

If any one needs pictures or videos, I'm happy to share. I also plan to post a video review of this unit on youtube as well so people don't spend all they're hard earned money on something that doesn't work as advertised.

sorry about your experience brother. Definitely sub par. I’m sure they’ll take care of you somehow. I’dbe frustrated as heck too but just hang in there

still no issues with my Di7s after upgrades. Not a single one.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Our support team briefed me this morning and it sounds like we were able to offer some helpful feedback on the sensor placement and are sending you replacement parts for just about everything, so hopefully, we can turn this situation around and make you a happy Klir user!

Greg Brugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the problems continue.....
Another whole role of clean fleece used up....
1573740475772.png

1573740492456.png

CoralVue did send me replacement parts, but the Klir DI-4 continues to have issues. I've got the new motor installed, (maybe updated) controller and sensor installed. I emailed CoralVue support letting them know the problem continues. The support rep asked me for a video of the Turbulence in my sump and water moving into Klir.

I had a feeling this was moving toward how I set it up, so I feel I provided more than enough information to answer this question. My Apex has two flow meters on it. One is for the Total amount of water it is pushing into the manifold and another is for monitoring the amount of water going through my UV Sterilizer.
1573740230920.png

The Klir DI-4 is rated for 750 gph. To figure out how much water the Klir is filtering per hour 577-125= 452gph.
My manifold feeds my UV which then returns the water back into the sump through a return pipe into the return chamber.

I also provided CoralVue a video of the water movement and picture of how the sensor was on the Klir unit.

1573740654101.png

The video of the water movement through the Klir is attached and the file is called Klir_DI4_With Horizontal Sensor_position.mov.

After providing this, Support emailed me back and told me I had the sensor installed incorrectly and that the sensor had to be installed horizontally. I went back to their documents online (from their website) that showed you how to setup the Klir and provided them with a screenshot of how they installed the sensor. The screenshot below is from their website and also in the Klir 101 video on youtube. This is also how it was installed on my unit...

1573740926691.png

Being that the Klir can bend at 90 degrees, maybe CoralVue and I are not communicating what Horizontal actually is, so I re-positioned the sensor again (this time vertical) and the same problem occurred again over night. This can be seen in the video file called Klir_Controller_Error_Sensor_Position_Vertical.mov.

For the time being, the only way the Klir operates correctly is when I program the Apex Outlet it is connected to and only allow it to run 5 seconds every 5 hours. When I do it this way, the Klir runs great- but controlled by an Apex. I'm to the point with this thing where I am going to start looking at modifications and mount an Apex optical sensor on to it and letting it control it instead.

Here is the code I'm using on the Apex to control the Klir for the time being until I can find another option.....

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:00/000:05/300:00 Then ON

Attachments

• Klir_DI4_With Horizontal Sensor_position.mov
    2.5 MB
  • Klir_Controller_Error_Sensor_Position_Vertical.mov
    3.4 MB

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The new updated klir works perfectly, I was skeptical of buying it at first because of all the negative reviews on every single online sites. I was also going to buy the Clarisea one, but I didn’t feel like modify my waterbox 190.5 sump. So I pull the trigger on the klir Di-7, man am I glad I did, that thing is a beast, works flawlessly never ever going to socks again!
60C4EB0F-933F-47FB-9FD0-622247BFBCDC.jpeg
CC02F88D-DCF4-41A2-ADED-E4E8CA30566A.jpeg

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new updated klir works perfectly, I was skeptical of buying it at first because of all the negative reviews on every single online sites. I was also going to buy the Clarisea one, but I didn’t feel like modify my waterbox 190.5 sump. So I pull the trigger on the klir Di-7, man am I glad I did, that thing is a beast, works flawlessly never ever going to socks again!
60C4EB0F-933F-47FB-9FD0-622247BFBCDC.jpeg
CC02F88D-DCF4-41A2-ADED-E4E8CA30566A.jpeg

Love it! I'm so happy to hear it's performing well for you!

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg so sad you’re having trouble bro. Literally not one single issue on my end. Tank is pristine. These two workhorses are my favorite part of the tank. Hope you get it fixed soon!

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fixed! Hooked up an Apex sensor and now it works great :)

52F55087-0D0B-4E9D-884D-55455F992567.jpeg

@Greg Brugger - please explain how an Apex sensor is installed. My I pad wont let me see your video.

I bought this thing at MACNA but its has never worked well for me. Same issues as everyone. Coral Vue has been good with customer service, but t this point I have new controller, sensor, they have sent new roll, etc.. but nothing. I want this thing to work big time because when it works its awesome. Unfortunately it hast for more than a few days at a time.

Maybe the apex sensor will do it. Install sensor, plugs to what, and please share Apex code. Does it need an FMM Module? Etc... PLease help I want this thing to work.

thnaks,

Last edited:

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Greg Brugger - please explain how an Apex sensor is installed. My I pad wont let me see your video.

I bought this thing at MACNA but its has never worked well for me. Same issues as everyone. Coral Vue has been good with customer service, but t this point I have new controller, sensor, they have sent new roll, etc.. but nothing. I want this thing to work big time because when it works its awesome. Unfortunately it hast for more than a few days at a time.

Maybe the apex sensor will do it. Install sensor, plugs to what, and please share Apex code. Does it need an FMM Module? Etc... PLease help I want this thing to work.

thnaks,
@Greg Brugger
Please help

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralVue Yikes!
After going a year with all the original issues and getting piecemeal part replacements, I am finally okay with the product for the most part so I pull the trigger on a 2nd unit last week for a different tank setup.
Figured all updated parts should have been cycled through by now but nope, open the box and there's a 3 RPM motor in there :(

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back