Klir Filter Review.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on my Waterbox 220.6 and just wondering if any of you out there are running one or two Klir-7's on your system. Do you need two? Sorry, new to this and am going to start the tank off with the socks, but am looking to potentially upgrade if people seem to be having major successes using it.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on my Waterbox 220.6 and just wondering if any of you out there are running one or two Klir-7's on your system. Do you need two? Sorry, new to this and am going to start the tank off with the socks, but am looking to potentially upgrade if people seem to be having major successes using it.
I plan to run one, and I got their 7" adjustable cover plate for the other sock hole...haven't set it up yet though.

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, the DI-4’s are in. I did notice both have the upgraded motors and smoothed edges. I’ll keep everyone posted. Day 1.
The only issue is that the motor on the door side impedes the door about 1/4”. I will have to play with the sump and see if I can get it moved over tomorrow.

5F690E2A-8D94-4F6B-BD9B-F5E55CD44666.jpeg

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, the DI-4’s are in. I did notice both have the upgraded motors and smoothed edges. I’ll keep everyone posted. Day 1.
The only issue is that the motor on the door side impedes the door about 1/4”. I will have to play with the sump and see if I can get it moved over tomorrow.

5F690E2A-8D94-4F6B-BD9B-F5E55CD44666.jpeg

why not leave the sump and turn the motors inwards towards the sump. It still should keep the sensors away from straight flow. ‍♂️

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to run one, and I got their 7" adjustable cover plate for the other sock hole...haven't set it up yet though.

was planning on the same initially. As a matter of fact still have the cover. Never used it. Got another di7 instead hahahahaha

you’ll love it regardless.

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i have the 230.6. I see they have replaced it with the 220.6

if the sump layout is the same you can look back at my pics. I have two Di7s in our sump and fit perfectly.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not leave the sump and turn the motors inwards towards the sump. It still should keep the sensors away from straight flow. ‍♂
I agree especially since your flow looks like it comes in from right to left. I have 2 units mounted in two separate tanks and one is where I feel is the better way which is where the unit is mounted so the flow enters via the side of the fleece, not against the face of the fleece.

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh okay. Thank you. I didn’t think of that. I just turned them. I guess it didn’t click that’s they are the square and can fit anyway.

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2... Thanks to the recommendations from @Eder and @pecan2phat I have rotated the Klirs 90 degrees on both sides to where the sensors are totally facing away from the flow and the flow is pushing directly into the fleece cavity. So far so good, everything looks to be operating as it should. Overnight both rolls have seemed to only complete 1 full rotation.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you think after you set it up. Thanks in advance. :)
Tank's not running yet, but I put it in the sump just to check it out...

IMG_1650.jpeg

Tight fit under my short stand (and tall sump) but it works if I fold it over first. The cover plate is on the other hole.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, I would move the KLIR to the outer sock hole that is against the front pane so that turbulence does not falsely trigger the optical eye. I would also turn the position of the KLIR 90 degrees so that the flow is falling into the void between the fleece and not against the fleece if that makes sense.
Probably a visual illusion but those emergency overflow cutouts look pretty low, do you have at least 1.5" between the cutouts and the base of the sock plate?

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, I would move the KLIR to the outer sock hole that is against the front pane so that turbulence does not falsely trigger the optical eye. I would also turn the position of the KLIR 90 degrees so that the flow is falling into the void between the fleece and not against the fleece if that makes sense.
Probably a visual illusion but those emergency overflow cutouts look pretty low, do you have at least 1.5" between the cutouts and the base of the sock plate?
Yeah, this was just me testing if I could get it in. And it is way easier to fold it and put into place in the far hole. I had planned to put it in the closer one though. Note that I don't plan to have it in all the time, just for cleaning, sand vacuuming, or particularly bad chemistry days. That's why I wanted an easily removable roller, rather than one that mounts or is built in.

And I agree, the top cutouts are a bit low, they were supposed to be 2", but are more like 1.75", so should be OK. Keep in mind that this sump is huge...so the scale makes everything look so much smaller relatively. That sock chamber is 9" x 18" x 18" and the holes are 7" each. The blue acrylic with the sock holes is 1/2".

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you would opt out if having it in the sump 24/7. I understand your logic about detritus etc but i think it’ll do you much better to make it a permanent piece if equipment. Our tank and sump are in fantastic condition due to these. I wish I would have installed them when we started up the tank since the only detritus in our sump is that which was left behind from the residue of sand when we added it.

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 update... I received the “Y” cable the other day, installed it for tandem function and I don’t think I could be more pleased! The KLIR’S have used very very little fleece and my sump is looking much cleaner. The water clarity has also increased. I would definitely recommend these guys if your looking for a drop in solution of filter mat. I had my doubts but these things are impressing me.

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so last night I had a snail get into one of the rollers and tore the fleece. No big deal because I was down adjusting my calcium reactor and saw it. Issue was corrected and I pushed the reset button till the damaged fleece was no longer an issue. I came down this morning and the water was up past the sensor pouring over into the next chamber. I push the reset button to bring the level back down. Pulled power from the controller to try and reset it. That didn’t work. I just checked again and the water levels were over the sensor again. What could possibly be going wrong?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you press and hold down the reset button, both motors turn but not on their own via the optical sensor?
FWIW on the alarm function, I have one controller that does the alarm and one that does not. Inconsistent QC at best.

Back