Klir filter skimmer overflow

RichM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Has any had issues when there klir filter advances it causes their skimmer to overflow? I’ve had this twice now with two different rolls where it causes my skimmer to overflow for a long while. I’ve hooked the skimmer up to drain into a bucket and have gotten close to 5 gals of water removed. It eventually goes back to normal after what was causing the overflow to happens gets removed. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue and if there is a way to avoid it.
thanks.

Struttmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got an Apex? I have added an optical sensor to my skimmer lid so it turns off when it is full and sends an alarm.

Struttmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Has any had issues when there klir filter advances it causes their skimmer to overflow? I’ve had this twice now with two different rolls where it causes my skimmer to overflow for a long while. I’ve hooked the skimmer up to drain into a bucket and have gotten close to 5 gals of water removed. It eventually goes back to normal after what was causing the overflow to happens gets removed. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue and if there is a way to avoid it.
thanks.
It has started happening to me, wonder what causes it to happen? Any joy working yours out?

OP
OP
R

RichM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has started happening to me, wonder what causes it to happen? Any joy working yours out?
Unfortunately no. I tried running the roll under water before installing and it helped but did not eliminate the issue. It only seems to do it for the first 2-3 ft of the roll so next change out I might try removing this section before installing and see if that solves the problem.

Struttmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be interesting to see how that goes. I’ve sent a request off to coral vue. Waiting on a response.

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time I changed my roll I used super glue and my skimmer went nuts. Since then I have used tape and my skimmer has been fine

Struttmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a Nyos 160 and i am now setting the water level an inch below the collection cup bayonet fitting. I’m also dosing nitra phos minus and the skimmer is going nuts but not overflowing like before. Ski mate is black

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tank do you have? I have a KLIR on my reefer 350 and never had an issue with this. Not sure if it’s because of my sump configuration or not though.

TheHunterYall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Klir filter changing your sump water level between when it is clogged and fresh roll has advanced? If so that can cause skimmer to change behavior.

OP
OP
R

RichM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Klir filter changing your sump water level between when it is clogged and fresh roll has advanced? If so that can cause skimmer to change behavior.
No not at all. Water levels stay consistent in the skimmer chamber. It only affects the skimmer for the first few days after a new roll is installed once it gets into the roll a few feet it runs normally. I skim to a bucket when it goes crazy usually 5-10gals to remove whatever is causing the issue and then it is fine until the next roll is installed. I have worked this into my water change schedule lol. The only thing I can think is the adhesive they use on the tape to close the roll is being absorbed into the first few layers of the roll and is being released when it’s submerged. once you get through this first few layers of the roll it runs fine.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the roller media causing the skimmer to go crazy, who knows what its coated with in the manufacturing process.

Turn off the skimmer for an hour or so after changing out the media. I get it often enough with my filter roller setup when I swap out rolls. Once the media is going, its not noticeable when the roll is triggered to advance.

OP
OP
R

RichM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the roller media causing the skimmer to go crazy, who knows what its coated with in the manufacturing process.

Turn off the skimmer for an hour or so after changing out the media. I get it often enough with my filter roller setup when I swap out rolls. Once the media is going, its not noticeable when the roll is triggered to advance.
i have shut the skimmer off for 24 hours and when started up again it bubbles just as bad as when it was first installed. Only way for me to stop it is to skim it off. I’m not sure about the manufacturing process being the issue because if that was the case wouldn’t it cause the skimmer to go crazy through the whole roll not just the first few feet?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have shut the skimmer off for 24 hours and when started up again it bubbles just as bad as when it was first installed. Only way for me to stop it is to skim it off. I’m not sure about the manufacturing process being the issue because if that was the case wouldn’t it cause the skimmer to go crazy through the whole roll not just the first few feet?
Nope, if you think about it, your only introducing a small section of dry/fresh media at a time when the float switch tells it to advance the roll after the initial install.

Id say try another roll, but if the manufacturers date of assembly is close, you may have the same issue. Could be a bad batch?

I had a 1st generation klir, hated it and sold it after 6 months. Got tired of rolls tearing and float switches failing.

OP
OP
R

RichM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, if you think about it, your only introducing a small section of dry/fresh media at a time when the float switch tells it to advance the roll after the initial install.

Id say try another roll, but if the manufacturers date of assembly is close, you may have the same issue. Could be a bad batch?

I had a 1st generation klir, hated it and sold it after 6 months. Got tired of rolls tearing and float switches failing.
Yeah I’ve had a lot of issues with this one too. I had to replace the controller twice and 1 motor (all warranty) never fixed the issue. I ended up having to hard wire the adapter to the motor and control it with my apex and an apex optical sensor. Works great now. But I’ll look at getting a Red Sea reefmat once they become available in Canada.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve had a lot of issues with this one too. I had to replace the controller twice and 1 motor (all warranty) never fixed the issue. I ended up having to hard wire the adapter to the motor and control it with my apex and an apex optical sensor. Works great now. But I’ll look at getting a Red Sea reefmat once they become available in Canada.

I went bubble magus 4" roller (small), running two on two tanks currently. Once I found another supplier for filter rolls, I haven't had a problem. One is wired through the apex also, float switch cycles on the outlet.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back