Klir filter skimmer overflow

Struttmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve had a lot of issues with this one too. I had to replace the controller twice and 1 motor (all warranty) never fixed the issue. I ended up having to hard wire the adapter to the motor and control it with my apex and an apex optical sensor. Works great now. But I’ll look at getting a Red Sea reefmat once they become available in Canada.
I’d be interested in finding out how you hard wired the adapter to the motor and run it with an Apex.
Thanks,

OP
OP
R

RichM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be interested in finding out how you hard wired the adapter to the motor and run it with an Apex.
Thanks,
Sure no problem,
I cut the wire to the motor just before the sensor, then cut the wire to the adapter and spliced them together. Bypassing the controller all together. This causes the motor to always be on and also eliminates the factory optical sensor. I then connected it to the apex power bar and installed an apex optical sensor to the FMM. I use this program
1652097023790.png

The optical sensor is labeled ROLL_H so when it is covered it will turn on the roller motor until the water goes down and will run for an additional 2s. The other benefit I found to this approach is it allows me to set the optical sensor to whatever height I like since it isn’t attached to the klir.

Struttmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve had a lot of issues with this one too. I had to replace the controller twice and 1 motor (all warranty) never fixed the issue. I ended up having to hard wire the adapter to the motor and control it with my apex and an apex optical sensor. Works great now. But I’ll look at getting a Red Sea reefmat once they become available in Canada.
Sure no problem,
I cut the wire to the motor just before the sensor, then cut the wire to the adapter and spliced them together. Bypassing the controller all together. This causes the motor to always be on and also eliminates the factory optical sensor. I then connected it to the apex power bar and installed an apex optical sensor to the FMM. I use this program
1652097023790.png

The optical sensor is labeled ROLL_H so when it is covered it will turn on the roller motor until the water goes down and will run for an additional 2s. The other benefit I found to this approach is it allows me to set the optical sensor to whatever height I like since it isn’t attached to the klir.
Very nice! Thanks
Also Coral Vue got back in touch saying they are aware of skimmer overflowing issues and recommended running carbon.

OP
OP
R

RichM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I found a solution! I just replaced the roll this morning but this time I rinsed the first 3-4 feet of the roll. You could see it bubbling on the fleece as I was doing this. I installed after this and absolutely no issues with the skimmer. Yay!!!

Struttmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I found a solution! I just replaced the roll this morning but this time I rinsed the first 3-4 feet of the roll. You could see it bubbling on the fleece as I was doing this. I installed after this and absolutely no issues with the skimmer. Yay!!!
Thanks Rich M

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-installed my DI-4 about a month and a half ago. Everything was fine until maybe two weeks ago and every time the new fleece rolled through my skimmer overflows. The roll just ran out and I replaced it and as soon as the skimmer turned on it was overflowing.

@RichM, any issues after the rinsed section was used up?

In the amount of time it took me to do a search and find this thread, which was about 5 min the overflow stops. I had turned the skimmer off. When I turned it back on it was fine.

Last edited:
Back