Known jumper list

donkeys4hire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start a list of fish that are likely to jump out of tanks without lids. Let's start with personal experience. How long you had the fish before it jumped will help too.

Diamond Goby-twice, 2 weeks, 3 days
Midas Blenny-2 weeks

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In certain situations all fish will jump.

The exceptions would be something like a frogfish or angler, but even then...

I had a 14"+ lionfish come shooting out of a tank at me as I walked past (I fed them, he got excited) the aquarium at a store I used to work at.

If you truly care about your fish put a top on it. It's simple, cheap and literally saves lives. I have a rimless aquarium, with a top on it when I'm not around. If I'm doing maintenance, taking pictures or having visitors, the top comes off. As soon as I leave the room it goes back on.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use eggcrate, glass, acrylic or a screen top (do a search here for "screen top"). I would recommend a screen top for light penetration, oxygentation abilities (and evaporation) and looks.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A screentop using 1/4 inch netting is best. Arcoholic sells it here on R2R.

028copy.jpg

Custom Aquaria LLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had Scopas Tang jumper? Was going to put in coral flat have a buddy re-homing one. Will research but figured I'd go for some feedback in the trenches! Thanks! Oh yes add on Lawnmower Blenny jumped from back of tank through plastic cut out of lid!

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost a tomato clown and a few chromis this way most were in the tank several months before the went carpet surfing.

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few jumpers in my day. 3 hawaiin flame wrasse (ouch). A blue jaw trigger, a lawn mower blenny, and a bartlet anthias. I know I know I need a top.

Ricky,

igot2gats

saltwater slappy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Austin. It doesn't take much to put a screen top on a tank. You won't have to worry about any of your fish jumping. Even notorious 'jumpers' can't go floor surfing when you have a top.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue-sided fairy wrasse
Jumps into my overflow at least once a week. This jump is about 6 inches since he has to go over the glass to get there. I should put him in the circus!!

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can add snowflake clownfish to the list:(
anyone know a good place to fine another one i have a very sad little girl on my hands

JOSE CASAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a 14"+ lionfish come shooting out of a tank at me as I walked past (I fed them, he got excited) the aquarium at a store I used to work at.

If you truly care about your fish put a top on it. It's simple, cheap and literally saves lives. I have a rimless aquarium, with a top on it when I'm not around. If I'm doing maintenance, taking pictures or having visitors, the top comes off. As soon as I leave the room it goes back on.

I agree as I have had a pipefish and mandrin jump out.................couldnt believe it.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. Anytime I see people asking the question which fish are jumpers I always laugh since they are all potentially jumpers. That said, my top recently saved my Diamond Watchman Goby from Carpet surfing, although he did end up in my overflow. Thank Goodness for small nets with extend-able handles.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back