Kole nipping at Foxface

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kole tang that has been nipping at my Foxface for several weeks now. They both have been in the tank for about 5-6 months without issue. I know the foxface can defend himself but he is getting to the point where he hides in the corner after the nipping starts, this happens dozens of times per day.
Tank is 5 foot, so I don't think that is an issue. Was thinking about taping a picture of a kole tang to the glass to give him something else to do. Does anyone agree with this thought or have another idea? Thanks in advance!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Kole tang that has been nipping at my Foxface for several weeks now. They both have been in the tank for about 5-6 months without issue. I know the foxface can defend himself but he is getting to the point where he hides in the corner after the nipping starts, this happens dozens of times per day.
Tank is 5 foot, so I don't think that is an issue. Was thinking about taping a picture of a kole tang to the glass to give him something else to do. Does anyone agree with this thought or have another idea? Thanks in advance!

You can give the photo trick a try. I know it has worked for others.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koles can be mean especially if there isn't a lot of algea. They are a constant grazer. The foxface and kole eat the same thing. You may never be able to reduce the agression.

I would up the greens and maybe try some fresh greens like romaine.

OP
OP
B

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koles can be mean especially if there isn't a lot of algea. They are a constant grazer. The foxface and kole eat the same thing. You may never be able to reduce the agression.

I would up the greens and maybe try some fresh greens like romaine.
I never thought or knew about fresh greens, I will try that. Any particular way you clean the fresh greens? Or just under tap water?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought or knew about fresh greens, I will try that. Any particular way you clean the fresh greens? Or just under tap water?
Ro water. Rinse really well.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have used the mirror trick on my PB. Mirror is only about 6" in diameter, but it does the trick. Give it a shot and take it down after a day and see what happens. I also echo the thought of keeping well fed. there is an article on tang aggression floating around on the forum somewhere. Good luck.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have used the mirror trick on my PB. Mirror is only about 6" in diameter, but it does the trick. Give it a shot and take it down after a day and see what happens. I also echo the thought of keeping well fed. there is an article on tang aggression floating around on the forum somewhere. Good luck.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back