Kryptonite Candy cane placement

Unenabled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is the second time I am making this thread. This time I have better pictures and actually made it a question thread instead of a discussion thread. My toadstool has been growing rapidly and it is starting to touch the candy canes. I know that candy canes can be aggressive and I'd rather my corals use their energy for growth instead of chemical warfare.
image0 (1).jpeg

As you can see they have just started touching. I didn't notice until today but its likely been doing this for a few days.
SNAP_20220125-142846.jpeg

I think that the spot I circled would be a decent spot. I'm just not sure because that area tends to get a lot of flow and I don't want it to get too much. Are candy canes alright with high direct flow? If not I can provide more pictures with other potential spots. I'd love to hear some peoples opinions and where they put their candy canes

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has that Candy cane been growing in that spot? Moving coral around does not promote growth. Leave it right where it is and let them be. I don't see any sign of a war going on that is going to kill either coral.

Even worse is that there is another leather on next to the other spot. Both of those corals are going to own the tank quickly with the GSP running up the rocks the cane is much better off growing where it is. You did good. Leave it alone and they will grow. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unenabled

Unenabled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, but I ended up moving it below the red circle in the second picture yesterday. This morning one of the heads that was getting ready to split puffed up more than ever and I can now see the 2 distinct heads start to pull away from each other. I moved the smaller toadstool (its on a really small rock so its no big deal) next to the bigger one to give the candy canes the room they need. This morning I moved the GSP away so they don't grow and encroach on the candy cane. I read in a few other threads that people tend to have success with them at the bottom, so I moved them down and it seems to be working. Plus some of the heads that didn't get as much light are getting way more because I flipped the coral around when I glued it into the rock.

I'm not worried about corals killing each other. I'd just rather they don't waste energy over chemical warfare that should be going to growth. I know that the GSP is going to take over the rockwork eventually, and I am ok with that.

I think the main problem was not giving the candy cane all the room it needs. I think moving it down an inch and giving them more room will make a big difference in the long-run. I've only had them for a month so its not like they were past the point of no return moving-wise.

I appreciate the advice on the GSP. I know it is going to be a pain later (which is fine I like the idea of them taking over some of the rock work) but you are definitely right. I started out with 3 of them on some rocks so I have spaced them out around the tank now, and not to close to any other corals.

image0 (2).jpeg

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back