ksfulk's Red Sea Reefer 525xL

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by ksfulk, Sep 2, 2016.

1. ksfulk

ksfulk Grow sticks, grow!!! R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Well - spent 12 hours sitting in front of my laptop today for another CherryCorals live sale. Oddly, I only ended up with one acro this time around. But I rounded out my acan garden nicely and picked up a couple other "filler" type corals. Missed out on the RR Wolverine frags that I was hoping for - maybe Brett will have some other goodies when I pick my stuff up from the shop.

CC Live Sale Haul:

Ultra Acan (Yellow)
    SOS044-2.jpg

Random Single (looks like a pseudo-stratocaster)
    SOS118-2.jpg

CC Rainbow Tempest
    SOS221-2.jpg

Ultra Acan (Green)
    SOS234-2-580x580.jpg

Sweet Goniopora
    SOS326-2.jpg

WWC Yellow Tips
    SOS927-1-580x580.jpg

Everlasting Sunshines
    CHE_2520.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

2. ksfulk

ksfulk Grow sticks, grow!!! R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Well, after three weeks without a skimmer... I still dont have a skimmer.:(

After some uncalled for venting via email to Adam, he managed to get a hold of Deltec and get me a tracking number for the pump and controller than was supposed to be on its way on Aug 2nd. Well guess what... the UPS tracking number shows that the package was ready for pick up about an hour before they emailed Adam back with the tracking number :mad:;Rage:mad:;Rage:mad:

Good news is that I should have my replacement by next Monday. Bad news is... well, everything above I guess. Just another day in paradise for now...

CaptureA.PNG

3. Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Makes me feel like a bit of a jerk, given my Nyos 160 is sitting on my kitchen table doing NOTHING right now. Could have been in your tank for the past 3 weeks :(

Hopefully Monday is the big day! Just think how crazily clean the tank will seem once the skimmer is back on there :eek:

ksfulk likes this.
  4. Giraffe0621

Trying to plan my plumbing and want to make sure I know why I'm doing what I'm doing.

You have a ball valve right off of your return pump. Is that so there's a union right there to make it easy to disconnect to do maintenance or change your plumbing later if need be? Or do you actually use the ball valve part of it? If so, why do this instead of turning down the flow of the return pump?

The 2 gate-valves that aren't connected to anything (at least in that picture) are to allow you to add more stuff to the manifold later, without ripping it apart, right? Other than turning the gate-valve all the way off, is there anything you have to add to leave it not connected to anything else? Strange question, I know.

Do the 90 degree connections & the two 90 degree connections that are right next to each other to do a 180 by your return pipe significantly reduce your flow?
    Are 45 degree connectors used to increase flow, or only if that's the angle needed in that situation, or is it all cosmetic?

Last one: Any regrets on doing PVC all the way to your return pump? Saw some people saying to do flexible tubing for a short length right before the return to reduce vibration and make it easier to do maintenance since then you can move your return pump around. But doesn't seem very common, so I'm not sure if it's worth doing?

Thanks in advance ;)

KSFULK's hard plumbing.jpeg

ksfulk likes this.
  5. ksfulk

See above in red. ;)

Giraffe0621 likes this.
  6. Giraffe0621

For an impatient 9 year old, you sure are patient with other people. THANK YOU!

All super helpful info! Can't start until my RedSea adapters come next week, but it's nice to know I'm armed with more info for when they do arrive :)

ksfulk likes this.
  7. ksfulk

That's not entirely true. You can mock up everything using the one adapter that you have currently (return nozzle) - just don't glue that one!

8. Giraffe0621

Totally didn't think of that. Sweet! Well here goes nothing... aiming for anti-wonky o_O

ksfulk likes this.
  9. ksfulk

Frustrations continue on the skimmer front. I received the new pump/controller/power supply on Monday... and nothing out of the box :( I messed with the pump, controller and power supplies I had and got one combo to work (old pump, new controller, new PS) and things were foamy!

Tuesday morning I came down to check on things before I left for work and the skimmer was silent :mad:
    I just left it alone and emailed Adam again, letting him know the situation. Yesterday I managed to get the skimmer working again by "fiddling" with the parts. Seems like the controller on this pump is the weak point. If I hold the wires just right, the skimmer runs - as soon as I let go it stops. Not even tape can fix it. So I ordered a similar controller online and we'll see if that works. Figured it can't hurt for $12. I'm working on getting an AC pump retrofit so I can continue using this skimmer.

I also drove over to the other side of the state and picked up my cherry corals livesale items. Since I had to still work later that day, Todd was nice enough to bag them and put them in a cooler and box so they would be fine until I got home that evening.

Fast forward to when I got home and come to find out that I was missing one coral and got another that I shouldn't have. Instead of the Rainbow Temptation acan, I ended up with the rainbow temptation favia instead. I'm a little bummed about it, as I don't really have a good place for a favia in the tank, but the guys said they'd take care of it next time I swing by.:D

The rest of the corals look great - they've all been dipped and remounted. I managed to find my fruit loops zoas that disappeared a few months ago while I was vacuuming the sand bed. They didn't look like much more than some grey snot when I found them, but they are coming back strong now.

I also ordered a few more residents for the tank from LiveAquaria. I picked up a trio of anemone crabs that are quite entertaining to watch. One of them is living in the big birdsnest, while the other two are camping out on the low frag rack - but all of them are avoiding the nems! There was also a pistol shrimp that's been added to the tank. I'll eventually get it a goby friend, but I wanted to be sure that I really did want a pistol and that my wrasses didn't murder it immediately. It's been hanging out with the cucumber for the last four or five days - I assume it's getting its bearings.

Two fish also came in - I finally caved and ordered a rabbitfish - a small one spot - to add a bit of flashy yellow to the tank. It's amazing how small this guy is... about 1.25" long. It looks super small even in the 10 gallon QT. He's nibbling, but he's been on prazi since I got him, and I think either that or his itty bitty body makes for not much of an appetite.

The other fish is a red mandarin. I ran it through a prazi treatment and then it went right into the DT :eek: It picked at some PE Calanus, but it was starting to look too thin in the QT, so after the first round he went into the big kid tank. Within ten minutes it was picking at the crustacean smorgasbord on the rock work, so I'm hoping he'll plump back up. I've gotta watch my tailspot blenny though, as those two have been making eyes at each other across the tank.

IMG_2051.JPG IMG_2053.JPG IMG_2056.JPG IMG_2057.JPG IMG_2060.JPG IMG_2064.JPG IMG_2066.JPG IMG_2071.JPG IMG_2074.JPG IMG_2076.JPG IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

10. Giraffe0621

Sorry to hear things still aren't fixed yet :(

But yay for a few new fish to focus on instead! Can I ask why it felt like caving to get the rabbit fish? They're one of the fish who have caught my attention the most, though not really a viable option in a 250. Can I ask what your hesitation was with one? Have a great long weekend!

11. ksfulk

I like rabbits, but they are messy. And since my choice in tangs means I dont need to supplement with nori it means I dont need to add that to my feeding regiment. Rabbits eat lots (and they need supplemental algae or they go after the LPS), poop lots and get BIG. I really wanted an orange spotted or a scribbled rabbit, but I settled on a one spot because Im missing yellow in the tank as well. The one spot is a baby right now, so it'll take a few years to really get big. The fish do have quite the personality though and the ones that Ive had over the years have always been really interesting.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  12. ksfulk

Well well well... its been exactly a year since I got this bad boy wet and though its been a bit trying recently, the entire tank has been a success thus far. Im happy with ZeoVit and most, if not all, of my equipment choices have paid off in either reliablility or customer service.

Though I havent seen the growth that I think many other have seen in a years worth of time, I took about an hour or four tonight to take pictures and video of the tank and I'll put some side by side photos tomorrow when I get a chance. I think the tank is starting to turn a corner when it comes to growth, and I suspect to see quite a bit more growth now that the tank has really settled in.

Enough waxing poetic, however - lets see some pictures and video!

BCBattlejuice.jpg BCDayGloMilli.jpg BCDreamsicle.jpg BCJuneRuby.jpg BCSecale.jpg BCSnipersBlue.jpg BCSpainbow.jpg Blasto.jpg CaliTort.jpg Cardinalphotobomb.jpg CC.jpg CCChameleon.jpg CCCherryNovas.jpg Derasa1.jpg Gobstoppers.jpg GreenTenius.jpg IMG_5919.jpg IMG_5921.jpg IMG_5923.jpg IMG_5926.jpg IMG_5931.jpg IMG_5945.jpg IMG_5947.jpg IMG_5950.jpg IMG_5952.jpg IMG_5954.jpg IMG_5965.jpg IMG_5966.jpg IMG_5967.jpg IMG_5969.jpg

13. ksfulk

IMG_5972.jpg IMG_5973.jpg IMG_5974.jpg IMG_5975.jpg IMG_5977.jpg IMG_5978.jpg IMG_5979.jpg IMG_5981.jpg IMG_5982.jpg IMG_5983.jpg IMG_5984.jpg IMG_5985.jpg IMG_5987.jpg IMG_5988.jpg IMG_5989.jpg IMG_5994.jpg IMG_5997.jpg IMG_5999.jpg IMG_6004.jpg IMG_6010.jpg IMG_6013.jpg IMG_6016.jpg IMG_6019.jpg IMG_6021.jpg IMG_6022.jpg JFFreakHair.jpg KermitSongGranulosa.jpg MiamiHurricane.jpg NemRock.jpg OGMummyEye.jpg

spiraling and Giraffe0621 like this.
  14. ksfulk

ORABirdsnest.jpg ORABorealis.jpg ORAHawkins.jpg ORAPearlberry.jpg ORAPlumCrazy.jpg PalettaPinkTip.jpg PCRainbow.jpg PinkBoobies.jpg PinkLemonade.jpg Rastas.jpg RedCap.jpg RedPlanet.jpg RightSide.jpg RRAussieGold.jpg Sarmentosa.jpg SSC.jpg SunsetMilli.jpg TierraDelFuego.jpg Wellso.jpg WTMotherofPearl1.jpg WWCPurpleMonster.jpg

15. ksfulk

16. ksfulk

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2098.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

17. ksfulk

Can anyone spy the new rock?

I did some well overdue maintenance and a big water change while vacuuming out the sump and replacing zeolites and carbon yesterday when I got home from work and found a couple aiptasia have popped up in my zoa garden - so I pulled that rock out and used a hammer and chisel to cut the aiptasia rock off of the mother rock. It also afforded me the opportunity to remove a large portion of pink and gold palys as well, since they were starting to take over. While I was working on that, I found a large chunk of dry rock that had been sitting in a bucket for the better part of a year and I saw that it would sit nicely in an alcove I had in the aquascape. So *plunk* in it went and it locked right in with the rockwork. Hooray! I laugh a little bit since it's VERY noticeable, but that should fix itself in a few weeks.

Alkalinity consumption continues to rise, as I've been upping the dosage every other day for a week or so now, and I'm still seeing my alk around 6.5, so I'm hoping that's a good sign as well.

Rabbitfish didn't make it, which was a bummer. The mandarin is weird. Some days it looks filled out and then I saw it today and it looked like it hasn't eaten in months. Gonna order some more pods from @AlgaeBarn and set him up with a bit more feasting options. Probably will get a subscription from them, so I don't have to worry about that.

Otherwise, I need to get some more glue and epoxy and get some of these frags mounted, as I'd like to get these frag racks out of the tank. Still have a few sps pieces that I want but no one seems to have them at the moment. Hoping to find something nice at the frag swap coming up in a few weeks as well. And I think I need to order another bag of sand, as the front of the tank is showing glass some days.

IMG_2108.JPG IMG_2110.JPG

AlgaeBarn, mdbannister and UABsleeper like this.
  18. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Coming along nicely!

ksfulk likes this.
  19. ksfulk

Added about 20lbs of sand. Everything's looking good for the moment.

zachxlutz and Giraffe0621 like this.
  20. Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros Member R2R Supporter

Have been reading from the beginning great build. When do you vacuum the sand as a part of your maintenance?

ksfulk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted