KZ Coral Snow

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone dosed Coral Snow and you water never really clears up to crystal clear ? It says 5ml per 25g I dosed roughly 1-1.5ml and after a few days water is still a little hazy.

AIO tank with just filter floss and carbon. Sicce .5 return pump,and mp10 for main flow. No coral just cuc.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin1971Texas Mmmm 5 or so months. Water has always been clear but not CRYSTAL clear so I figured eh why not I'll try it out and see how it works. Maybe the tank is too "new". But I have seen people ude it on newer way newer than mine fully stocked tanks and have better luck lol.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmph, I always thought as a flocculant you need a skimmer to get the coral snow out of the water column? How often are you changing your carbon? That alone should help keep it 'clear'.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmph, I always thought as a flocculant you need a skimmer to get the coral snow out of the water column? How often are you changing your carbon? That alone should help keep it 'clear'.
From my understand for a reefer on another thread,filter floss was another way if you are skimmerless. At the moment I am changing it about every 3 weeks. Let me reiterate ,it was clear but could always be MORE CLEAER,ya know ?
There was recently a thread about this and using just calcium carbonate. Let me see if I can find it

Well I know JedimasterBen made a post back in like 2015 about 97% pure DIY KZ CS and its literally the same thing except KZ has BioSpur or whatever bacteria in it.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know about the DIY and that specific thread,these are not the questions I am asking though lol. I am asking,anyone who has used KZ CS before,have you had a problem with slight cloudiness AFTER the dosage,even days after ?

The powdered calcium based product used in the one linked and Jedi's post are the same. And literally the same as CS but without the bacteria.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your aquarium is probably just out of balance still.

Its a very good possibility,it is newer. I guess I am going to have to get some softies or something to get coral in the tank to start feeding them and get nutrients in the tank. I have been having to dose nitrates and phosphates because everything has been at 0 since the cycle has finished months ago. But I have had snails and hermits,but how much nutrients do they add,not much.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it not clearing up has anything to do with age or balance. It's just a solid that needs removed. If you can double up or get a finer floss it will speed it up. Just needs some help in removal. In my large tanks it clears up in 3 or 4 hours after I put good socks on and skimmer running. In my 13g aoi it takes a few days if I don't put some very fine flowe in there

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin1971Texas Mmmm 5 or so months. Water has always been clear but not CRYSTAL clear so I figured eh why not I'll try it out and see how it works. Maybe the tank is too "new". But I have seen people ude it on newer way newer than mine fully stocked tanks and have better luck lol.
Ok. Since you mentioned only having a cuc, I though *maybe* everything was still settling after starting a new tank.

However, if the product you're using has bacteria in it, you might be getting a small bloom after you add it.

Finally, when you snorkel or dive, the water is never CRYSTAL clear... so maybe what you're dealing with is just normal...?

(Don't worry, you'll get old one day and your eyes will be shot like mine... You won't see anything floating in the water then! Need a magnifying glass to watch my brittle stars :face-with-tears-of-joy: )

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it not clearing up has anything to do with age or balance. It's just a solid that needs removed. If you can double up or get a finer floss it will speed it up. Just needs some help in removal. In my large tanks it clears up in 3 or 4 hours after I put good socks on and skimmer running. In my 13g aoi it takes a few days if I don't put some very fine flowe in there
Well thats the thing,I run 2 layers of polyfloss or whatever it is,the dual layer blue/white filter floss. Idk if it gets more fine than that unless I cut a filter sock up ?
Ok. Since you mentioned only having a cuc, I though *maybe* everything was still settling after starting a new tank.

However, if the product you're using has bacteria in it, you might be getting a small bloom after you add it.

Finally, when you snorkel or dive, the water is never CRYSTAL clear... so maybe what you're dealing with is just normal...?

(Don't worry, you'll get old one day and your eyes will be shot like mine... You won't see anything floating in the water then! Need a magnifying glass to watch my brittle stars :face-with-tears-of-joy: )
Honestly the bacterial bloom sounds about right. Besides the live rock in the tank,I haven't added any "bacteria" to the tank whatsoever besides what bacteria was on the rock.

I thought maybe to,with dosing nitrates and phosphates to get away from 0ppm maybe that sparked/help a bloom as well. Because from Saturday-lastnight I have raised nitrates from 0ppm to 5ppm but I feel like thats not too crazy of a jump. I have noticed my dry rocks have gained color since dosing to get nutrients up.

I have been welding/fitting carbon steel chilled water pipe for almost 7rs and honestly for being only 34,my eyes are not GREAT I can still see,but some things...whew lol.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well thats the thing,I run 2 layers of polyfloss or whatever it is,the dual layer blue/white filter floss. Idk if it gets more fine than that unless I cut a filter sock up ?

Honestly the bacterial bloom sounds about right. Besides the live rock in the tank,I haven't added any "bacteria" to the tank whatsoever besides what bacteria was on the rock.

I thought maybe to,with dosing nitrates and phosphates to get away from 0ppm maybe that sparked/help a bloom as well. Because from Saturday-lastnight I have raised nitrates from 0ppm to 5ppm but I feel like thats not too crazy of a jump. I have noticed my dry rocks have gained color since dosing to get nutrients up.

I have been welding/fitting carbon steel chilled water pipe for almost 7rs and honestly for being only 34,my eyes are not GREAT I can still see,but some things...whew lol.
Just curious, but why are you dosing nitrates and phosphates with no corals?

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The bottle says 1ml/25 gallon, not 5ml/25 gallon.

I’ve dosed two tanks. Twice in the past 3 nights. Dosed at night before bed. Cleared up completely by the next day both times. No skimmer. Filter floss only

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• A7F4583F-193E-456E-BE4E-7E0525D045D5.jpeg
    A7F4583F-193E-456E-BE4E-7E0525D045D5.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle says 1ml/25 gallon, not 5ml/25 gallon.

I’ve dosed two tanks. Twice in the past 3 nights. Dosed at night before bed. Cleared up completely by the next day both times. No skimmer. Filter floss only
Omg,wowwww I did noy even see that. Well,that may or may not be the issue. I am definitely a goof ball for not reading that correctly whatsoever. I feel super special after that one.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Recently needed to start using 1.5x magnifying safety glasses at work to see fine details

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Omg,wowwww I did noy even see that. Well,that may or may not be the issue. I am definitely a goof ball for not reading that correctly whatsoever. I feel super special after that one.
You might be dosing above what the requirements for your tank are, hence the cloudiness. Fortunately, I don’t think there any harm to your live stock, just to your wallet for wasting more than you need ahaha. We all make mistakes!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Back