LA Yasha Goby Without Ray?

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I ordered a captive bred Yasha Goby as the next fish for my 125 gallon from LiveAquaria and when it came in, it was absolutely tiny and missing the distinctive yasha goby ray.
1BDD7377-F3AC-4BE5-9F54-66EF277937C4.jpeg

is this something to be concerned about? I’m a bit worried a fish this small would make keeping a challenge if I ever see it at all. Do they grow fast and should I keep it somewhere to grow to a moderate size at least? I currently have a flame hawk which I know preys on tiny fish so I’m worried a juvenile yasha would be on the menu as opposed to a fully grown one which is only have an inch smaller.
Any advice would be great as they’re still behaving alright with no serious issues other than typical fright. And is the ray gone or can it regrow eventually and will a lost ray compromise the fish’s fitness in any way?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess depending on relative sizes, I wouldn’t trust the flame hawk with the goby.
As long as the fin base isn’t damaged and the is no infection involved, it will regrow.
That’s a pretty small species, going to be tough to see in that big of a tank.
Jay

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess depending on relative sizes, I wouldn’t trust the flame hawk with the goby.
As long as the fin base isn’t damaged and the is no infection involved, it will regrow.
That’s a pretty small species, going to be tough to see in that big of a tank.
Jay
Yeah, he was expensive but I'd rather not doom him. I thought maybe the size difference woulnd't have been that substantial but looking at him now... Yeah. Maybe I'll swap him out for an orange stripe prawn goby.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back