"lace rock" ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 427HISS
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2013
Messages
3,156
Reaction score
929
Location
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is lace rock ?

A local reef keeper's sale ad has this rock with a 90g tank. Is it in-land mountain rock, not ocean reef type ?
 
I googled it and apparently it is an inland light porous rock that is often used as a cheap alternative to live rock... If you buy some I would recommend soaking in r.o. for a couple weeks and then curing it for a while in saltwater before throwing it in your display tank.
 
You are right about the origin. I bought some for my last build but ended up getting rid of it. From what I had read and the multiple discussions with the LFS, I wasn't convinced that the lace was not going to leach unwanted minerals and/or metals. If you read the treads about it you will have reefers with success and reefers without. I think it's a crap shoot but the investment I was making wasn't worth the off chance I would have gotten the wrong rock.
 
Yea I totally agree.. I wouldn't either.. You can get live rock less than $3 p/lb online.. Thats a small investment in the long run!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
 
I also agree, I can see it releasing mineral's that we may not want in our reef tanks. It really doesn't look correct for reef rock either.
 
Great for african cichlid tanks, but probably not so much for SW.
 
Yea I totally agree.. I wouldn't either.. You can get live rock less than $3 p/lb online.. Thats a small investment in the long run!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If you don't count shipping charges *cringe*
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new