lanthanum chloride and Phosphate test kits?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does using lanthanum chloride effect the accuracy of hanna test kits?
My thought is that it does if you don't wait for all the phosphates to be removed that it has reacted with. I normally don't test my phosphates until at least 24 hours after I dose lanthanum chloride, I have tried testing sooner than 24 hours and have gotten very odd results

OP
OP
w2inc

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I used it more than a year ago and I remember the package saying that it might cause some test kits that read total phosphorus to read inaccurately. I just got the Hanna and am seeing levels of .23 where as compared to my Salifert I am seeing much closer to .1 or less. I am normally a little off when I compare my test results to my ICP results, but never by a margin that large.

My last ICP test was 3 months ago, the tank is 2 years old, My phosphates have been sitting around .03 and 0.5 for the past year. It seems weird that they would jump that high in 3 months. I am having tissue loss on 2 or 3 SPS out of about 30 in a 125g. The tank has been stable for the past 20 months to the point that I was in disbelief when I saw the beginning of the first tissue loss.

Do you think PO4 at +-.20 is a reasonable cause of tissue recession? Should I go with the hanna results and proceed correcting. Do you know of a way to confirm the high the PO4 or is the tissue recession a smoking gun?

OP
OP
w2inc

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used lanthanum chloride. Always liked a little phosphate in the tank along with nitrates, never shot for zero but more of a steady low number.
Thanks for chiming in. I am not shooting for 0 at all. I was reading .23 yesterday, and today .17. I was hoping you might have some info about slow tissue necrosis related to phosphate levels.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back