Lanthanum Chloride vs Cerium Chloride (My Fish Are Dying)

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powdered CaCO3 has enough surface area to be affective.
How do you know that? Again can you please give some more info/ papers on powdered CaCO3 that lowers phosphate in a saltwater tank or share your own experience, till this moment there are only statements from your side.
That is sincere question from my side not trying to argue with you.
I am afraid I am the one from whom DIY Coral Snow dosing started some years ago and i really want to hear more experience on this.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know that? Again can you please give some more info/ papers on powdered CaCO3 that lowers phosphate in a saltwater tank or share your own experience, till this moment there are only statements from your side.
That is sincere question from my side not trying to argue with you.
I am afraid I am the one from whom DIY Coral Snow dosing started some years ago and i really want to hear more experience on this.
My comments are based on my experience and visual observation. If I add to much CaCO3 or add to often, my coral loose color. The same dulling of coral color occurs when decreasing phosphates using other methods.

It is possible that other micro nutrients are being stripped from the water causing the color loss, however, I believe it is the phosphates.

In my experience, measuring phosphates when sequestering them this way is difficult. It's a similar issue when measuring phosphates when using Lanthium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, anything that is bound to calcium carbonate surfaces, such as phosphate, organics, and magnesium, will depend very strongly (linearly) on the surface area added.

Surface area, in turn, is a very strong function of the particle size. If you drop the particle size by 50%, you increase the surface area for a given weight of material by 50%.

Thus, any binding effect that is seen depends strongly on particle size, and may be hard to compare between different people using different materials of unknown particle size.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface area, in turn, is a very strong function of the particle size. If you drop the particle size by 50%, you increase the surface area for a given weight of material by 50%.
The increase will be 100%. Saying it another way, if you cut the particle size in half, you will double the total surface area.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The increase will be 100%. Saying it another way, if you cut the particle size in half, you will double the total surface area.

You are correct. I wrote that relationship incorrectly. :)

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have thought that if you doubled the size of the particle the surface area would quadruple.
To clarify: We're talking about the total surface area for a bunch of particles with a constant total volume, but varying particle sizes.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have thought that if you doubled the size of the particle the surface area would quadruple.
Yes, you are correct, but the volume of the particle increases 8 times, we are talking about the surface area for a given weight of material.

Jim was faster than me, because of the distance :)

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry could be the language issue from my side again (or my arithmetic) but if you increase area two times (double) it is 200% increase

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry could be the language issue from my side again (or my arithmetic) but if you increase area two times (double) it is 200% increase
It is 200% of the original 100%, so there is a 100% increase. And using percentage does sometime make thinking about it more difficult.

If you multiply the particle size by 0.5 in each dimension, then the total surface volume will be multiplied by 1/0.5, or 2.0.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Cheers. I’ve been playing with sand and it’s great at filtering tiny particles, unless it’s fluidised in which case it’s rubbish :)
I’ve added calcium carbonate fines from unrinsed sand additions and a sock (preferably dirty) certainly speeds things up. I’m a little dubious about lanthanum being caught with a 10 micron sock however. Now, Lanthanum phosphate running through a static bed, that appears to be very effective.

I don't think 10 micron sock was recommended for use with Lanthanum Chloride, it was a 1 micron sock. Yes it does get fully clogged within 24 hours or so but by then it has done its job.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think 10 micron sock was recommended for use with Lanthanum Chloride, it was a 1 micron sock. Yes it does get fully clogged within 24 hours or so but by then it has done its job.
5 micron works for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back