Large black spot on Tang Desjardinii

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I need some help. My Tang Desjardinii has had a large black spot on its belly for about 2 weeks, and it's growing. It is swimming and eating well, with normal breathing. It is well adapted to the aquarium, peaceful, and has been with me for over 3 months. I did QT when I first acquired the fish with cupramine and prazipro. I feed my fish by alternating Vitalis pellets, artemia, mysis, and spirulina 3 times a day. No other fish is showing similar changes.

- 350L/90 gallons, 8 months old mixed reef tank (sps/lps)

1 Tang Desjardini
3 ocellaris
1 lyretail Anthia
1 cardinal banggai
1 whip-fin wrasse
1 cleaner shrimp
1 Hepatus
CUC: hermits
Temperature: 25.5 - 26.5 °C ( 78 - 79ºF)
pH: 8.1
Salinity / specific gravity: 1025
Ammonia: 0.0 Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 5.0 Phosphate: 0.04
Alk: 8.4
Aquaforest reef salt (20% monthly WC)
I’ll be thankful with any help!

47D9CE9A-0B9E-4C40-98B2-24090A7BA658.jpeg 58B246BE-FA46-465B-BE4E-A177683DCF0F.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did it suddenly come on? Does it change at all with lighting? Was there any prior injury , what does the other side look like?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello everyone, I need some help. My Tang Desjardinii has had a large black spot on its belly for about 2 weeks, and it's growing. It is swimming and eating well, with normal breathing. It is well adapted to the aquarium, peaceful, and has been with me for over 3 months. I did QT when I first acquired the fish with cupramine and prazipro. I feed my fish by alternating Vitalis pellets, artemia, mysis, and spirulina 3 times a day. No other fish is showing similar changes.

- 350L/90 gallons, 8 months old mixed reef tank (sps/lps)

1 Tang Desjardini
3 ocellaris
1 lyretail Anthia
1 cardinal banggai
1 whip-fin wrasse
1 cleaner shrimp
1 Hepatus
CUC: hermits
Temperature: 25.5 - 26.5 °C ( 78 - 79ºF)
pH: 8.1
Salinity / specific gravity: 1025
Ammonia: 0.0 Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 5.0 Phosphate: 0.04
Alk: 8.4
Aquaforest reef salt (20% monthly WC)
I’ll be thankful with any help!

47D9CE9A-0B9E-4C40-98B2-24090A7BA658.jpeg 58B246BE-FA46-465B-BE4E-A177683DCF0F.jpeg
This is either bruising or bacterial but suspected- bruising from injury
Is fish eating and breathing normal?

OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it suddenly come on? Does it change at all with lighting? Was there any prior injury , what does the other side look like?
It started 2 weeks ago with a much smaller black spot, which has grown to what you see in the photo today. It doesn't change with lighting. There was no previous injury in that area. This fish has never fought with another or injured itself. Here is the photo of the opposite side.

Attachments

• 492E0F71-C3FD-45CD-B16B-DF8F7292112F.jpeg
    492E0F71-C3FD-45CD-B16B-DF8F7292112F.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is either bruising or bacterial but suspected- bruising from injury
Is fish eating and breathing normal?
Thank for your answer! Fish is eating (and fat!) until now. Normal breathing. I didn’t see any fight or injury the last weeks…

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It started 2 weeks ago with a much smaller black spot, which has grown to what you see in the photo today. It doesn't change with lighting. There was no previous injury in that area. This fish has never fought with another or injured itself. Here is the photo of the opposite side.
If its one sided and there is no evidence that its on both- or that its spreading to both - it makes an injury somewhat more likely as the starting issue - that its getting worse suggests a bacterial infection of some sort. (it could also be an internal infection)

OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its one sided and there is no evidence that its on both- or that its spreading to both - it makes an injury somewhat more likely as the starting issue - that its getting worse suggests a bacterial infection of some sort. (it could also be an internal infection)
Makes sense. I'll keep an eye on it and take daily photos for comparison. When do you think it might be necessary to isolate and QT the fish? Now or only if its condition worsens?

OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He stopped to eat and now he is swimming as if he was tired of something.

The black spot seems to have taken over the entire coast on both sides. Now I'm really worried about this...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody? I would really appreciate any kind of help. Thank you!!

Sorry - I just woke up.

The video shows that the fish is in a severe way, it sure went downhill fast. I think we were all thinking that the black spot was from an external injury, like a bruise. Given this new development, I think it the issue may be systemic (involving the whole fish) and is coming from inside the fish, not just on the skin where it is visible. Trouble is, there is no way to get medication inside the fish except through injection with a syringe.

OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I just woke up.

The video shows that the fish is in a severe way, it sure went downhill fast. I think we were all thinking that the black spot was from an external injury, like a bruise. Given this new development, I think it the issue may be systemic (involving the whole fish) and is coming from inside the fish, not just on the skin where it is visible. Trouble is, there is no way to get medication inside the fish except through injection with a syringe.
Thank you very much for the response! I'm the one who should apologize for the somewhat desperate posting.

Unfortunately, he is in agony at the moment. The back part of the fish is completely black, with a clearly defined line separating it from the normal front part. The hemorrhage likely stems from a specific blood vessel.

I am very sad, and it is very difficult to watch this scene. I have only turned off the circulation pumps and decided not to isolate him to avoid any additional stress at this moment. I'm a MD, and I don't know if it's harder to watch something I can do nothing about.

Thank all R2R community for helping me.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you very much for the response! I'm the one who should apologize for the somewhat desperate posting.

Unfortunately, he is in agony at the moment. The back part of the fish is completely black, with a clearly defined line separating it from the normal front part. The hemorrhage likely stems from a specific blood vessel.

I am very sad, and it is very difficult to watch this scene. I have only turned off the circulation pumps and decided not to isolate him to avoid any additional stress at this moment. I'm a MD, and I don't know if it's harder to watch something I can do nothing about.

I hate that it’s come to this but I think you may want to consider euthanasia.

Clove oil is what I’ve used in the past but maybe the #fis#fishmedicw can provide other alternatives.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to hear that.

Here is an article I wrote on fish euthanasia:

OP
OP
cabral.leonardo

cabral.leonardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that.

Here is an article I wrote on fish euthanasia:
This article will definitely help me. Thank you for sharing it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back