Large gash on wrasse

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today I noticed my wrasse has a large gash on his side. Anyone know what this could be from. Could a tang do this? I couldn't get a clear picture so I took a video. And should I do anything. Keep in mind I do not have the ability to qt him. How ever a friend currently has a qt set up for treating his fish with velvet

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang might have done this. Another possibility is that it scraped itself on the rocks diving for cover. Either way though it doesn't look like anything to worry about IMO. As long as your parameters are within reason and the fish is eating well it should heal up in no time. GL.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not always but allot. Some times the do chase each other a little. The wrasse some times sneaks up behind tang and scares it. I posted about there behavior before. If I have to pull purple tang I will.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse used to be more social and calm before purple tang. But they always seem to be together. Purple tang dose not even care about Kole tang

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an acclimation box or big enough sump you could move 1 2 for a few days? That's what I'd do, then if it doesn't work, it's decision time on who to pull (hate this).

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aviut a month ago I seen mild signs of aggression. So I pulled him and put him in my fuge. Then posted it here. Every one told me they will be fine. Because he dose not keep the wrasse cornered. He dose not constantly attack wrasse, seems random. I love the tang but he is the newest fish. And I my wrasse was the first. So tang will probly be pulled out this week.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are pretty tough and can heal from some pretty serious injuries. I had a melanarus like yours that somehow had a gash that appeared to be cut 1/3 the way through the back of his mid section from the top but he healed completely in about one month. I did nothing but feed high quality food and keep water quality as top notch as possible.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are pretty tough and can heal from some pretty serious injuries. I had a melanarus like yours that somehow had a gash that appeared to be cut 1/3 the way through the back of his mid section from the top but he healed completely in about one month. I did nothing but feed high quality food and keep water quality as top notch as possible.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang might have done this. Another possibility is that it scraped itself on the rocks diving for cover. Either way though it doesn't look like anything to worry about IMO. As long as your parameters are within reason and the fish is eating well it should heal up in no time. GL.

+1 Soaking the fish's food in vitamin supplements (exs. Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem) may expedite the healing process.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just walked up to tank and wrasse was sitting on bottom of tank center all the way to front glass. Not on his side or anything. As I got closer he very slowly started to move then swam around a bit and is now sitting near the rocks.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing is normal. I walked away and a came back and he swam to front glass and layed there in front of me until the other fish showed up. I am becoming very worried

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the gash on his side red at all or maybe whitish spreading out from the cut? I couldn't tell from the video.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It dose not appear to be. Looks dark

In the videos the cut looks ok enough for him to heal up on his own. How much time has passed since you first noticed it, to the time of the video, to now that he's acting lethargic?

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed today I would say a few hours. I have had sick fish and he dose not show breathing issue, when he comes to glass he dose not lay on his side. He just seems skittish, and Yes lethargic He used to eat from my hand. Colors are really good. And of course when ever he is stopped in the water he has the wrong side facing me. I pulled tang and put him into isolation. Where he will have to Stay until Tuesday or Wednesday. Then he goes to fish store. While trying to examin my wrasse he was showing signs of aggression toward the wrasse and a little towered my Kole tang

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope tomorrow he is more active and relaxed with out tang there. Any one in Sacramento ca that wants to make a deal on an aggressive purple tang.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully so. Keep us updated please!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he keeps looking bad, you may need to QT (or put him in an acclimation box) just to provide some R&R away from the other fish.

There's something about a sick/hurt fish that other fish just can't resist. Its like a "kill instinct" they have to finish the sick/hurt fish off.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back