Large new build.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used cinder blocks ever but one thought popped into my mind when i saw the supporting steel.
Have you considered if the steel can/will leach into the system over time??
It would be so awful to go to all this effort and overlook something simple.

I think if water gets to the steel it's game over anyways. Similar to plywood builds, if the epoxy lets water touch the wood, it is a failed project and what could leach is a moot point.

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks very interesting, and I love your willingness to experiment and share with us! I have a large build on the horizon and cement blocks is an option where I will be putting it.
I think you are going to be suprised at the amount of heat that can get sucked out of the system by that wall and floor, especially if you live in a cooler climate. I have a multi tank system on a much smaller than yours sump (270 gallons plywood) and in northwest Ohio I had to raise it off the floor and lift my several tanks off of the concrete ledge in my basement on foam to keep the system warm. Maybe you are in a warm enough place it won't matter as much. At a minimum, look at heating with a Pex loop on your hot water heater, that will save you tons in energy bills! I unplugged almost 2000 watts of heaters and my gas bill didn't budge. If you need details let me know.
Thanks for your input. I will be using a titanium heat exchanger run off my heating system

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used cinder blocks ever but one thought popped into my mind when i saw the supporting steel.
Have you considered if the steel can/will leach into the system over time??
It would be so awful to go to all this effort and overlook something simple.
I will be using liquid rubber to coat everything. It's not toxic. I'm not sure if it will work, but I think I can do it.

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. I will be using a titanium heat exchanger run off my heating system
Another thing I considered is that I want the heat sucked out. I am much better at heating things than cooling them[emoji2]

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I considered is that I want the heat sucked out. I am much better at heating things than cooling them[emoji2]
Absolutely, especially in a warm climate!

I think this is a wise way to go. Can't wait to see your progress!

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm taking a little time to get my other system stable while I work on my new one. I am implementing the Triton method to practice because that is what my new system is being designed for. I am having a difficult time with the chemistry side of water. I want to be told exactly what to dose and when. I enjoy working on systems so I think the Triton method is made for people like me. Happy reefing. Be back soon

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get some work done. This is the first section of the final height, just the cap block is left. I think it's coming out pretty well so far. I've never worked with concrete before, and as usual no one comes to finish the work. so I had to do it myself. Learning as I go. Gives me a greater respect for Mason's. They make it look easy
MVIMG_20180428_200500.jpg
MVIMG_20180428_200525.jpg

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This project is amazing. Looking good! Definitely following this one.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good for a first timer! I totally agree. The Masons are gods.

SUS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it, but did you anchor the blocks to the wall? If not, I’d be quite concerned about it pushing away from the wall when full of water.

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it, but did you anchor the blocks to the wall? If not, I’d be quite concerned about it pushing away from the wall when full of water.
Yes I did [emoji106]

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've reached my first milestone. Very happy. The wall was my biggest concern of the project as I've never worked with concrete before. What we have here is measuring inside diameter of 17ft x 41" x 32" at the first spillover. It's a full pallot of 16x8x8 block plus a few extra, a few thousand pounds of concrete brought through a basement window and mixed by hand. I have a few lines of rebar left so I'm going to cut them into pieces and drop them down all the chambers before I fill it all with concrete. Then I will install the cap blocks and the spillways. clean everything up and we move on to paint. [emoji2]
IMG_20180429_141534.jpg
IMG_20180429_141648.jpg
IMG_20180429_141631.jpg

vegamedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, why use stone for the sump vs. a custom fabricated acrylic or fiberglass/glass insert tank on a metal or stone stand? It seems like if you need to do any changes whatsoever you'd have a real tough time, not to mention having to practically put your head underwater to reach the bottom of it, especially the bottom near the wall. Tagging along for sure though

OP
OP
Gyerfat

Gyerfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, why use stone for the sump vs. a custom fabricated acrylic or fiberglass/glass insert tank on a metal or stone stand? It seems like if you need to do any changes whatsoever you'd have a real tough time, not to mention having to practically put your head underwater to reach the bottom of it, especially the bottom near the wall. Tagging along for sure though
This is just a fun project for me. I want to build every part of the system. And get out of my comfort zone, see if I can make it out of my head. All why keeping it reasonably priced. Plus the block was paid for with a winning 200 scratcher. I also want to use the cooling effect from the concrete to keep it at a temperature that I like. As I said before it's easy for me to heat water

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back