Large tank (180) moving options?

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Waterbox 230.6 from a guy on FB Marketplace that lives about 1 hour away. I am buying just the equipment (no livestock/sand/live rock). I am going to have to do a "2 tank shuffle" before I can setup the new tank (and it needs a thorough cleaning) so I just plan to move the new tank into my garage for now.

It's a very heavy tank so I plan to use 'professionals' to move the tank/stand. Should I hire a LFS store to physically move the tank (no setup required other than placing on the stand in the garage) or would it be 'safe' to just hire "2 4 Guys and a Truck"?

Thanks.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same pickle. Im picking up a 180gallon tank setup this weekend. Im just renting a uhaul truck getting some people to help lift and go for it. It also has an hour trip from the current owners home. Just take your time and it should be fine.

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do it yourself get some suction cup handles.
I moved my 90g last night and there's no way we could've done it without the suction cups.

I used these ones...

FCHO Glass Suction Cups Heavy...

parkwaytrash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the purchase!

I just did something similar. I've had a 55 tank for a while and finally found a 125. I had a friend help with the move ( empty tank and sump but buckets and garbage can full of hardware and rock.

I had some furniture movers (wheeled square things from wally world) and placed the tank on them and rolled to my trailer, then stand and sump done the same way.
I've rolled those thing around to clean,, sand and paint
I just put the stand in place (where the 55 was, that's a completely different story) and will be rolling the sump in this week and hopefully the tank on the weekend
My advice: have a plan and double check everything (even the weather. It rained on us) go slow and be careful

Back