Large Tank planning

Fiziksgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out of the hobby for about 13 years and jumping back in the deep end. Trying to take advantage of some of the Black Friday sales and get some equipment on order. Planning for a large systems can be complex and there have been sufficient changes, so I feel like I am learning all over again from scratch. I keep coming up with questions and searching for threads that may answer them has become its own job!

This is the question/answer thread that will lead into a build thread.

Main display is planned to be ~72x36x30 peninsula. I currently have some LVL beams installed and an working on remodeling the rest of the room; tile floor, new lights, added circuit for the tank, paint, etc. Sump will be in the basement, on the other side of the house. Lets call it 10 vertical feet and 30 horizontal feet away. There is a drop ceiling and I believe I can fit up to 1.5" PVC pipes through there without issue.

Main display:
Tank likely from Planet aquariums.

External overflow, was planning for qty 2 - 1.5" drains, one main one emergency, should I go for 3 just in case?

Returns qty 2 -1" near the top on either side of the overflow.

Abyzz A200 return pump - rough estimate with qty 5 - 90 degree bends, 30 feet horizontal, 10 feet vertical, 18 feet of head pressure, still maybe close to 1500 gph? I want to run a single line back to the tank and split it there.

Vortec - maybe qty 2 MP40s, mid level under the returns.

Closed loop, seems like they have fallen out of favor, but really desire to have no pluming or power heads on the 3 visible sides. Was thinking 2 intakes low on the end panel below the MP40s feeding 1 or 2 pumps with 2 or 4 returns through the bottom of the tank. Not sure what pumps to use here. Thought is another Abyzz, but boy are they pricey! Maybe Vectra L2s as head pressure is not a concern.

Lighting, so hard to decide, going to start with 3 Neptune Skys, may add some kessils later for some extra simmer and pop.

Stand - looking at the 80/20 extruded aluminum, not sure how it will be skinned at the moment.

Remote Sump
I want to build a sump "closet" in the basement. Since space it much less of an issue, I am thinking a two level stand, sump on the bottom, frank rank and working area on the top.

Sump, was thinking the 6ft Tideline as I am ordering from Planet Aquariums anyway.

Skimmer, Bubble King 250 Deluxe.

Frag tank, maybe 24x36x12, or maybe I will just grab a cheap 90 gallon tank, light by another Neptune sky, fed from return pump, drains back to sump. maybe another MP40 for extra flow. will be a while before I have frags, so I can figure this out later, but want to have provisions in place.

Likely a Reef Octopus calcium reactor, like a Vario C220.

Rock - would love to use live rock from, looking for recommendations. I'd be willing to plan a vacation and drive to FL to get high quality live rock if available. Maybe scour the local clubs for any actual figi or pukani, etc that someone is getting rid of.

Heaters - used to use finnex titanium heaters on a ranco controller. Going apex, so I assume a secondary controller is unnecessary. Are Finnex still recommended.

Control
Apex, first time user. Starting with the basic kit plus an extra 832 and a long aquabus cable that I will run from the basement to the main tank.

Is there something I am missing all together? Any general recommendations are welcome. Don't expect the build to move fast!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1+1 emergency overflows is fine, but some do like 2+1 emergency overflows. You'll be totally fine with the Abyzz A200 (do look at plumbing a manifold for either reactors and/or a UV from the outset - will save you time later if/when you decide to add anything).

I run a pair of Schego 300-watt titanium heaters on an Inkbird with a separate Hygger 500-watt titanium heater directly controlled by the Apex as a backup (and the Apex monitors temperature independently to prevent heater overruns should anything on the Inkbird fail).

If monitoring flow is important do get the flow sensors and modules for the Apex from the outset, as you'll need to plumb these into the system.

Back