Large wall hammer with tissue damage - looking for advice

Arringar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved several months ago and my large orange wall hammer got damaged in the process. The tissue near one of the mouth areas was slightly damaged, but over time the damage has worsened. Overall the coral is healthy and shows no apparent sign distress. The flow in it's area of the tank is not at all aggressive, but I believe it has potentially been a contributing factor. I have considered rotating the coral to protect this spot from flow, but I'm not sure it is enough.

So far I have avoided dipping the coral, though dipping it in iodine has been considered. At most it may help protect this damaged tissue from bacteria.

I'd love to hear what others who have dealt with damage on larger wall euphyllia have to say and what advice you might have.

OP
OP
Arringar

Arringar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
725ACCEC-ADAB-48E2-8C6B-18BB47494984.jpeg

OP
OP
Arringar

Arringar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you're seeing is a small section of this coral. It is a large completely spiral structure about 8-9" from end to end.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good ending, but I'll still share a similar experience.
I had a similar issue with a large wall hammer... was doing amazingly well for 6+ mo. Beautiful extension and totally happy, one of the best looking corals in the tank.
One afternoon, my WAVs lost connection with Apex and went haywire (my fault for not programming "fallback off") and blew at 100%.The hammer was in harms way and one end had some minor tissue damage from the excessive flow. Not bad, just a small 2-3 mm area of tissue damage. Over the course of the next 3 weeks, it went from a minor tear to full loss of the coral. I dipped in iodine to help with infection, but it did do much. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much you can do at this point. Iodine may help, but it's the tissue damage that's the issue.

IME, wall hammers don't do well with tissue damage... Sorry to post a bummer, but been there myself... Pic was it before the demise; full extension was about 6-8 inches

unnamed2.jpg

OP
OP
Arringar

Arringar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good ending, but I'll still share a similar experience.
I had a similar issue with a large wall hammer... was doing amazingly well for 6+ mo. Beautiful extension and totally happy, one of the best looking corals in the tank.
One afternoon, my WAVs lost connection with Apex and went haywire (my fault for not programming "fallback off") and blew at 100%.The hammer was in harms way and one end had some minor tissue damage from the excessive flow. Not bad, just a small 2-3 mm area of tissue damage. Over the course of the next 3 weeks, it went from a minor tear to full loss of the coral. I dipped in iodine to help with infection, but it did do much. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much you can do at this point. Iodine may help, but it's the tissue damage that's the issue.

IME, wall hammers don't do well with tissue damage... Sorry to post a bummer, but been there myself... Pic was it before the demise; full extension was about 6-8 inches

unnamed2.jpg

I appreciate the response and I’m sorry to hear your situation didn’t end well.

My hammer has been like this for months now and has not changed much in that time. I turned it slightly so the flow is very gentle on that side of the coral and it really helped. The flow is no longer causing it to stretch. I’m not able to appreciate the best view of the coral anymore, but I think it will survive.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear! They're quite finicky and IME, tissue damage is hard to overcome.
But then again, nature has a way and these animals are quite resilient.
Glad that your hammer is doing much better! Hoping it fully recovers.

GammaYankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on your hammer? I would definitely recommend the KFC dip. I do t even know how many torches and hammer it has saved in my tank.

I knocked over my rainbow wall hammer and there is some damage to the edge where the flesh meets the skeleton. Did a KFC dip and hopefully the hammer will survive… I would be mad of myself it if does not make it…

Attachments

• IMG_2083.jpeg
    IMG_2083.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 26

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back