Large white cyst sticking out of clownfish

blueberryblue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 40b reef tank with 5 small-medium fish. This clown has been dealing with a large white bump on his side that protrudes quite a bit. She’s eating well and is acting relatively normal (for an clownfish). She’s paired with a smaller male clown, and they bicker quite a bit. All other inhabitants look good and are eating well. A while ago I had an ich outbreak, either ich or lympho but to be sure I quarantined them all for 60 days and they’ve been fine. The ich outbreak before never had white spots that looked this big so I don’t think it’s ich. While in QT, I woke up one day to her eye injured as well as part of her mouth which is why she looks like that now. Her eye has gotten much better and it is just cloudy now and I believe she’s probably blind there. The only weird behavior is that her and the other clown host his internal filter I have, and I’ve seen the affected one lay against the small opening where the filter takes in water. I’ve seen her do this while sleeping before the cyst appeared.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

47C1D44C-34D7-4D93-B155-5C27DE1FE1C9.jpeg 918FC86C-9EC3-4438-BF0D-E248EDBC8979.jpeg 2FF41691-DB2E-4B0F-B5B6-5C457A1D0679.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, I have a 40b reef tank with 5 small-medium fish. This clown has been dealing with a large white bump on his side that protrudes quite a bit. She’s eating well and is acting relatively normal (for an clownfish). She’s paired with a smaller male clown, and they bicker quite a bit. All other inhabitants look good and are eating well. A while ago I had an ich outbreak, either ich or lympho but to be sure I quarantined them all for 60 days and they’ve been fine. The ich outbreak before never had white spots that looked this big so I don’t think it’s ich. While in QT, I woke up one day to her eye injured as well as part of her mouth which is why she looks like that now. Her eye has gotten much better and it is just cloudy now and I believe she’s probably blind there. The only weird behavior is that her and the other clown host his internal filter I have, and I’ve seen the affected one lay against the small opening where the filter takes in water. I’ve seen her do this while sleeping before the cyst appeared.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

47C1D44C-34D7-4D93-B155-5C27DE1FE1C9.jpeg 918FC86C-9EC3-4438-BF0D-E248EDBC8979.jpeg 2FF41691-DB2E-4B0F-B5B6-5C457A1D0679.jpeg
Hard to tell some things from pics but do I see what looks like slime/mucus on the body?
The bump can be post injury from squabble or excess mucus but hard to confirm in pic.
If there is any chance of mucus and fish is not breathing rapid, You can do a 5 min freshwater dip to alleviate any, same temperature as display tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blueberryblue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I didn’t notice that; it looks like on the fins there’s also mucus. Post injury would be my guess especially since this clown is aggressive and sleeps on that filter. I just haven’t had experience seeing bumps that protrude that lengthily

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas?
Thanks!

The eye stood out to me. In reading you mention bickering, I’d say the eye and this white bump are related to that. You might need to separate these fish.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back