Large Yellow Tang has to go for Seahorse Babies :)

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Idk what kind of seahorse it is. He was $15 he's black with grey and white spots almost 1 inch long if u include the tail. I've tried every kind of food u can think of and my homemade mix nobody turns down it's the same thing my mandarin and pipefish pair eat and its plenty small enough,but he's not interested at all just watches it float by his face. I'll get the best pic I can and post real quick
Sounds like a juvenile or a dwarf. Dwarfs will mostly only eat live food and do not need large tanks. Most feed them baby brine but copepods as long as plentiful would be fine. Amphipods too.

OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Ok just say your pic. I can't tell with those pictures but due to the snout being kind of short and stubby I'm going to say if I had to guess it's a dwarf.

Here's a quick article.

Such as they only eat brine. I do think they will only eat live food but brine, copepods, probably amphipods too would all be fine. But make sure you have enough in quanity.

If he isn't a dwarf he'll be bigger and it will become obvious he isn't a dwarf. Better picture and we might could tell more.

Maxout

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
From the description I'd have to say it's a dwarf H. zosterae as I've never seen a standard seahorse sold at that size.
Main comment I'd like to make is that NEVER buy a seahorse, dwarf or otherwise, because you feel sorry for it's condition in an LFS or you think you are rescuing it.
THIS WILL ONLY ENCOURAGE THE STORE TO SELL MORE OF THEM!!!
If you really want to get into seahorse keeping you can research first, starting with the stickies at the top of this forum, and going to the "FILES" section of Seahorse Source's Group on Facebook and read through the massive information Dan has compiled there.
Dwarf feeding is accomplished by feeding enriched artemia nauplii, but unless overall conditions are changed to be suitable for a dwarf, it's life expectancy is liable to be much shorter than the average 1 1/2 to 2 years normal for these.
The ONLY seahorse friends suitable for dwarf seahorses are other dwarf seahorses. They need completely different conditions than their standard sized cousins.

Do you think there are benefits to turning your skimmer off for periods of time?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • NO

Votes: 73 30.3%
  • Maybe but not sure

Votes: 94 39.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Orphek OR3 Reef Aquarium LED Lighting