OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - this start to be an never ending story but I looks like I have reached the turning point now and miss the point of no return once again :D:D:D With other words - I feel better.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m well - I am lucky to have one of the newest hospitals in our region nearby (5 km). Only single bed rooms. Because of Covid - we are not allowed to leave the room - it means - full room service :D TV and WiFi in the room, Waiting for Sunday morning coffee now:D. And we have a single payer system in Sweden - means that I will have money left for new fishes when I am bak home again:D

Sincerely Lasse

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse if you get bored here's some reading material. It was published years ago apparently, but I just saw it this week and it might be the most amazing science fact I've ever heard.
There's a cyanobacteria that needs light to survive, but it lives in the deep ocean where the only thing it can photosynthesize is "heat" (IR radiation) from a hydrothermal vent. Maybe if you cut your lights low enough, you can grow some. :)

An obligately photosynthetic bacterial anaerobe from a deep-sea hydrothermal vent

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse if you get bored here's some reading material. It was published years ago apparently, but I just saw it this week and it might be the most amazing science fact I've ever heard.
There's a cyanobacteria that needs light to survive, but it lives in the deep ocean where the only thing it can photosynthesize is "heat" (IR radiation) from a hydrothermal vent. Maybe if you cut your lights low enough, you can grow some. :)

An obligately photosynthetic bacterial anaerobe from a deep-sea hydrothermal vent
Thank you. I'll take advantage of that reading too.

By the way. The hydrothermal vents are most likely the places where life began in our planet.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you. I'll take advantage of that reading too.

By the way. The hydrothermal vents are most likely the places where life began in our planet.

Yeah, that stuff is fascinating.

Tony

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Life found its way :D

I´m back home now and did a test 21:00 (of my aquarium) and both that and my eyes confirm that lower the light intensity did not make stony corals to grow lesser. Maybe more the opposite. The growth of my cyanobacteria and on the windows had gone down.

Maybe not only the level when an organism change to photoinhibition is important - maybe competition is important too. If you see light not as an radiation but a flux of energy packets - when consumed - not available any longer - you can talk in therms of competition.

The bacteria in the article are probably of rather high importance in our aquariums - especially in aquarium with DSB. Question is if these bacteria and the non sulphur purple bacteria will populate our aquarium by themself. I have inject Effective Microorganisms medium in the space below my DSB. EM is rich in non sulphur purple bacteria and a part of a bokashi compost.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - 6 g/day -> more than 2 kg in a year. I think that my clams take most of this growth but if I take away a part from my montiporas - after a week - you can´t see where I break it.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I could do a calculation about the califization rate between 21 to 12 with help of my calcium consumption. The result was surprising in many ways and I need to redo this tests a couple of times in order to be sure Between 19:00 and 13:00 - I do not dose any Ca. My consumption during this time was 40 mg/L -> 12 g 300 L. -> 30 g CaCO3 during these 15 hours - 2 g/h

During the 9 hours with light based on the CO3 consumption 6 g -> 0,66 g/h

This total opposite to all other things I have seen about calcification rates in light/dark. I have seen 70/30 rate - here I have nearly the opposite 25/75.

Probably - there is some measurements errors but still 70/30 seems not be valid for my aquarium.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working for 5 days in a row now and I have not be able to take any measurement for a while. However - the tank looks very good and the pH have rise during the last week - now it is between 8.30 - 8.40 The chaeto have start to grow again and the small patches of cyano in the DT is slowly disappear. The tactic with lowering the light seems to be a good tactic.

Early morning picture

part.jpg

For the moment we have a snowstorm coming in - 5-10 cm during the night - hopefully the last this spring.
At the museum - the roof is mounted - video from yesterday but today - there is a lot of snow in the building area. This may be the first time we filling the aquaria with snow/water :D Someones named it a catastrophe - we from Gothenburg call it a thursday in march :D

This was yesterday - today - it looks like this. Tough guys working in a small snowstorm. Its 24 hours between the pictures and for 10 hours ago - it still looks as the first picture :D

1615450486846.png

You can follow the progress here https://www.instagram.com/themaritimeaquarium/

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
Back