Latest, no thanks I will take the generation before.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I am an old geezer @Paul B on a pension and been in this hobby longer than most have been on this earth. I have witnessed great changes in the hobby both good and bad and when it comes to buying equipment I often wonder and scratch my head about the costs of it. Some items are still evolving but there are few leaps in equipment technology, I see mainly small steps now. EG are gen 4 Radions such a big leap forward over gen 3 Radions? IMO no and not enough to dump 3s to buy 4s.
90% of my equipment is previous generation from my tank to my lights skimmer reactors etc.
I buy at approx 1/3rd the new price give or take. My D&D 1500s pro reef tank I have just installed cost me £750 that's UK pounds it's less than 12 months old. New it cost the guy £1800 pounds. I have gen 3 Radions at £260 each new they cost around £700 here in the UK.
Thankfully there are those who will upgrade to the latest and greatest which gives the likes of me the opportunity to buy at bargain prices. When I come to sell on any equipment for another secondhand I don't take such a hit and often get my money back, in some cases I make a small profit.
I would love 2 Orphek Atlantic V4s here in the UK they are close to £2000 pounds. They can be picked up for around £1000 secondhand if your lucky, my mate was.
I am not begrudging those who can afford the latest in fact good on you, keep buying so the likes of me and pick up bargains.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I totally understand. I have set up two tanks and bought majority non retail. I researched on Craig’s list and eBay to buy my tanks and equipment . I saved a ton of money. I’ve saved about 1/2 of cost as well .Its Just like buying a car a couple year old instead of a brand new one for sure .

Last edited:
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I totally understand. I have set up two tanks and bought majority non retail. I researched on Craig’s list and eBay to buy my tanks and equipment . I saved a ton of money. I’ve saved about 1/2 of cost as well with . Just like biting a car a couple year old instead of a brand new one for sure .
Depreciation is an awful thing for some and a godsend for others. Helps keep me in the hobby.
I even get salt secondhand lol.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my lights used as well, not as expensive as the radions(any generation lol) ai’s instead. My skimmer is an eshopp’s i picked up when a local lfs was closing for 50% off brand new. My exchange rate guess is off but a ~£250 savings(been awhile since I have been back)
Still an expensive use of free time though :D .
Wish i was more handy with glass, to trust making a tank lol.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love 2 Orphek Atlantic V4s

I am lucky because I don't know what this is, so I don't need it. ;Wideyed

To me this hobby is very cheap because I very rarely buy anything new as I find it to be junk. I like my very old wooden and bakelite powerheads (Google it) and my steam heaters. :p

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I respect your view with one caveat. As long as you know who you are purchasing from, second hand can be a great deal. I don’t know how people treat their equipment, which can sometimes be more costly than buying new with a warranty.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying used equipment is great .... until it’s not. Folks tend to expect more for their used gear than they’d be willing to pay you for yours ..... which leads to lowballing ... which leads to testy emails ... which leads to hurt feelings. Bought a 2 year old kessil 360we for half of original retail .... and that took some doing .... failed 6 months later. Kessil kindly offered me a discounted replacement. Should just have bought new (which is mostly what I do now) LOL.

I did recently buy a used sulfur denitrator, also for half of new, but really nothing on it to go bad.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I’m the complete opposite, I like shiny and new, latest and best equipment with a full warranty so when I’ve paid my money I’ve got a little piece of mind

I’m currently building a 2000 litre system and you wouldn’t believe the cost! Infact I’m not going to think about it! Lol

You pays ya money..........

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect your view with one caveat. As long as you know who you are purchasing from, second hand can be a great deal. I don’t know how people treat their equipment, which can sometimes be more costly than buying new with a warranty.

What alot of people fail to realize is you can send any high end gear such as Ecotech or Kessil into the manufacturer and they will replace it or fix it for much cheaper than buying new even after it is out of warranty. I've scored great deals on both and sent both in to be either fixed or replaced and came out way ahead.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh seriously though I browse the classified looking for hardware I don’t even need lol

Never know when there’s a reefer looking to fire sale his equipment after a crash, move, etc Might get lucky and hit it big!
Haha. I catch myself doing the same thing! I I’ve got a lot of backup stuff!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I’m the complete opposite, I like shiny and new, latest and best equipment with a full warranty so when I’ve paid my money I’ve got a little piece of mind

I can't bother with warranties. I find it to much trouble to send the thing back and pay postage, then wait for a new one. I normally throw it away if I can't fix it and buy another one.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m currently building a 2000 litre system and you wouldn’t believe the cost! Infact I’m not going to think about it! Lol

You pays ya money..........

I just had to laugh! Shiny, shiny, so new.

I would buy used it I could on some things. The shipping would kill me and rarely do I see used things locally for sale. So looks like I get shiny new things with warranties I take full advantage of on occasion.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back