Latz clownfish spawning

temper76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy a pair when first sold to Ocean gallery in nj a pair went for 500$ then dropped 2 year later to 100$ I think the owner of that shop in Hawaii move back to Massachusetts or something like that.what made me change my mind was they are very nervous clownfish any sudden move and they get scared and end up hurting themselves getting pop eyes from constantly hitting themselves on glass. You need minimum a 40g breeder for a latz pair n I couldn't have that in my small apartment. Already have 5 tanks for breeding

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a large clownfish when they mature and in my opinion should be kept in a tank larger than 40 gallons. I have 2 pairs in my 240 which is 8 feet long.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that clownfish fry can die from "sfs" sudden fright syndrome. This is definitely true with latz clownfish. When they start to get big enough I transfer them out of the 10 gallon tanks and into a 40. Sometimes when I do this I loose a few to heart attacks. After they start to get some size they are not so skiddish.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy a pair when first sold to Ocean gallery in nj a pair went for 500$ then dropped 2 year later to 100$ I think the owner of that shop in Hawaii move back to Massachusetts or something like that.what made me change my mind was they are very nervous clownfish any sudden move and they get scared and end up hurting themselves getting pop eyes from constantly hitting themselves on glass. You need minimum a 40g breeder for a latz pair n I couldn't have that in my small apartment. Already have 5 tanks for breeding
Are you breeding clownfish? If so how many hours a day do you keep lights on the fry tank?

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that clownfish fry can die from "sfs" sudden fright syndrome. This is definitely true with latz clownfish. When they start to get big enough I transfer them out of the 10 gallon tanks and into a 40. Sometimes when I do this I loose a few to heart attacks. After they start to get some size they are not so skiddish.
That must be heartbreaking to lose them at that phase after putting so much time and effort into their care.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My numbers dwindle down to one or two per 10 gallon tank typically. It is heartbreaking if they croak when i move them.

temper76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My numbers dwindle down to one or two per 10 gallon tank typically. It is heartbreaking if they croak when i move them.
Wonder how would they react if you drop some clove oil?clove oil is like a amnesia to the point of knocking them out.or if you can put these pills they used to sell when shipping called fish buddy I believe to calm them down n if transferring wonder if working under red light would help

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The product is called bag buddies. It has been discontinued however I had found someone on ebay that had some and I have used it to ship fish. Good advice!

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My isochrysis keeps turning green instead of brown. I'm going to have to order from a different suplier. Seahorse source has worked for me in the past however you get such a small amount. It takes so long to get enough to actually use and it's so easy to loose.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who would have thought you would have trouble keeping algea alive?
Are you fertilizing at all?
Brineshrimpdirect had some stuff I used to use 13 or so years ago when I bred clowns.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a f2 formula for growing phytoplankton. I had an order from Florida Aqua Farms for isochrysis & an order with sea horse source. They both sell 125 ml. I order fertilizer from Florida Aqua Farms and decapsulated brine shrimp from sea horse sorce. I was doing great till a long power outage and lost it. I have been trying to start a culture from an eBay seller but it keeps turning green.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life has been super busy. I had a hatch that probably started a few days ago but just removed the eggs yesterday.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back