Latz clownfish spawning

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is absolutely fascinating. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and knowledge here.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred have always been much cheaper with this species compared to wild caught.
Feel free to message me if you want info about when Karen used to sell them.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latz came from Karen. She is responsible for their price drop. Her female still lays eggs but the male doesn't fertilize them anymore. Yourfishstore.com sells captive bred latz clownfish for $475 each. Ibluewater sells pairs of wild caught latz clownfish for $2000.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
="ash9965, post: 2865372, member: 64507"]seems like a fair price[/QUOTE]
I have fish ready to ship if interested.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah she was a good person doing it for the right reasons. She actually lost one of them but said she was thinking about replacing that one and starting up again. We are visiting Oahu this year and I hope to meet up with her and shake her hand. Tell her how much her work is appreciated.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Karen was recently tagged in a post on FB. She had replied that eggs are being layed but the male doesn't fertilize them.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another hatch started.
20160413_095959.jpg

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news that she got a replacement. I am sure with her touch that they will be successful in the near future.

Good luck with the new hatch.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco 10 gallon tanks have only a 3 month warranty. It like they know they do a poor job caulking them. Had a leaker and not sure what one. Combined multiple hatches into a 40.
20160417_085546.jpg

temper76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphiprion latezonatus clownfish are relatively rare in our hobby. The majority of the water they are found in is closed to collection. They are found in pockets outside the closed area but they are known to be poor shippers. Yourfishstore.com has tank bred for $473.55.
are yours wild caught? ?if so what temperature do you keep them??when they where available they cost 200$ each full bars tank raise, there was a vender here from Hawaii no longer in business used to have them .in think is was pacific island or something like that

Last edited:

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right temper, Karen had them in Hawaii through Pacific. Your price was for a pair but she lost one of her fish a while back and is not breeding them at this time. This is it right here.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are yours wild caught? ?if so what temperature do you keep them??when they where available they cost 200$ each full bars tank raise, there was a vender here from Hawaii no longer in business used to have them .in think is was pacific island or something like that
Pacific island used to sell tank bred latz by Karen Britain. The owner closed shop & moved to Florida to start another business. Karen no longer produces latz clownfish. Tank bred used to sell over $500 each until Karen produced a bunch and she lowered their value. Pacific Island had them for $100 each & at one point & also had 10% off sale so you could have got them for $90 each plus shipping. Now that Karen doesn't produce them their value went back up. Yourfishstore.com sells tank bred for $475 each. Bluezooaquatics sells tank bred latz for $400 each. Ibluewater sells wild pairs for $2000.

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last winter I had a long power outage. I lost my culture of isochrysis phytoplankton. I had plenty of it going & had started from 125 ml. It took a long time to have enough to start using. I lost it again and have a new starting culture on its way. Once I produce enough I would like to try culturing more variety of copepods.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back