OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also culture parvo copepods from Reed Mariculture. I use air in their 5 gallon bucket.
20160202_133238.jpg

Chad Clayton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see our products and animals are working well for you. I LOVE that you are using copepods in your larval rearing feeding regime! Awesome stuff! The cool thing about having copepods on hand is that you don't have to enrich your rotifers with DHA (which Nannochloropsis lacks). People that don't use copepods need to enrich their rotifers with algae that are high in DHA, which is why we developed RGcomplete. Anyway, how do you typically feed your larvae? For instance, are you feeding rotifers and copepods when exogenous feeding begins? Or do you start off with copepod nauplii and then begin rotifers later. When do you typically have your animals weaned onto the TDO (which size do you begin with?). I am always curious to hear how people are "skinning the cat". :cool: Thanks for all the photos and descriptions. Much appreciated! I could pick your brain ALL day.

Chad

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used RG Complete for a while and also phytofeast. The frozen nanno is more economical. I break off a small piece, put it in a glass, add water from rotifer culture and stir. I kept forgetting to put RG Complete & phytofeast back in the fridge. Day before a hatch I add pods & rotifers to a 10 gallon tank. I liketo use live phyto because it helps control amonia. I actually want to culture a few more varieties of copepods & phyto.

Chad Clayton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. Are your fish weaned onto the TDO by metamorphosis, or shortly after? When do your larvae typically go through metamorphosis? I appreciate you engaging me!

Cheers,
Chad

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hatch last a few days. I put the fry into multiple 10 gallon tanks. The tanks stay full of pods & rotifers. I add TDO A in the morning and evening and make sure the fry tanks have a tint with phytoplankton. After a week to week and a half, there becomes a size difference in fry. I start to hatch decapsulated artemia daily. I also use both TDO A & TDO B1. January 20 the hatch for this thread started & I am feeding both TDO A & B1 with freshly hatched artemia. The tanks are still loaded with rotifers & pods. I am on day 15 from the first hatch but there is a few lost after hatch & the majority are probably 12 days old. None have gone through metamorphosis yet but some are very close. I feed the 2-3 day old artemia & TDO B1 &TDO B2 to older batches that have gone through metamorphosis. I like to keep feeding the live food because my work schedule varies & I want food in the tank when I'm not around. I continue feeding artemia, TDO B1&2 until 3 day old artemia is to small for them. This point I feed TDO B2& C. There is quite a gap before they can eat TDO small.

Chad Clayton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant! One more question and I'll leave you alone. What are you using for "greenwater" in the larval rearing tank? Nanno and Iso?

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also seem to do pretty good until metamorphosis ( if my saddle wrasse doesn't eat the majority of the eggs before i take them out). When metamorphosis occurs I have large losses. They are mean & start to fight as soon as 2 have changed. When multiple go through a change you see all gang up on one till its dead then a new one gets picked on & the cycle continues until "there c a n be only one!" Lol

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I saw the amonia alert start to change color so I did a partial water change. Afterwards you can see how many fry are still alive. They start sticking to the sides and bottom until I tint the water with phytoplankton again.
20160203_090053.jpg

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, that's awesome. Karen actually sent me a female last year and she actually spawned without a male. The eggs never hatched but it was cool seeing them nonetheless. Do the older babies have full bars?

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's awesome. Karen actually sent me a female last year and she actually spawned without a male. The eggs never hatched but it was cool seeing them nonetheless. Do the older babies have full bars?
I have both full bar & misbar.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are your parent clowns wild or captive bred? Do you have a pic of the parents?

OP
OP
Blue Lip

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They came from Karen via RT Distributors. There is a picture at the beginning of this thread of them spawning with this batch of eggs. I will take another picture later but my phone is almost dead.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back