Lavender Tang info please

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering a Lavendar Tang. I don’t aee much info on them here so please share your experiences. I have a 210 gal reef I’m planning a stocking list for. I also intend to keep coral but with a minimalist aquascape, so plenty so plenty of swimming room. I also plan to include a Convict Tang, Kole Tang, and Yellow Foxface. Other fish wiuld include anthias, azure damsels, long nose hawkfish, coral beauty angel, and a fairy wrasse. The convict Tang is my must have fish, and I’d like to find an Acanthurus species which would be most likely to be compatible. Other Acanturus species I’m considering are Gold rim(White cheek) or powder brown. Zebrasoma species are not my preference, but if another Acanthurus should not be added I would stick with the convict and Kole and get a purple Tang. Thanks for any opinions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are hardy, nice color but can be a jerk towards other tangs. They require heavy algae in their diet
A 125 gallon aquarium or larger is suggested to provide plenty of swimming room. Live rock is preferred by this species for grazing, and will provide plenty of structure for hiding places and territories. It is aggressive toward other Tangs and Surgeonfish, but peaceful towards non tangs and grows to 5-6”

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the smallest tangs in the Acanthurus genus, and one of the best choices for one in a smaller (125 or so) tank. Seem to be hardy too, although I find most tangs to be hardy, as long as you QT for protozoa.

They aren't showstoppers like a powder blue or achilles, etc, but they are pretty. Similar to scopas or adult chevron where pictures don't do them justice.

I think that it should be fine with your group in a 210. It is another Acanthurus, but that is a bit of a catch-all genus. It's not like trying to mix powder blue with powder brown, or achilles and sohal...if that makes sense.

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the smallest tangs in the Acanthurus genus, and one of the best choices for one in a smaller (125 or so) tank. Seem to be hardy too, although I find most tangs to be hardy, as long as you QT for protozoa.

They aren't showstoppers like a powder blue or achilles, etc, but they are pretty. Similar to scopas or adult chevron where pictures don't do them justice.

I think that it should be fine with your group in a 210. It is another Acanthurus, but that is a bit of a catch-all genus. It's not like trying to mix powder blue with powder brown, or achilles and sohal...if that makes sense.
Thanks for the info. I’ve seen some drab pictures of them that appear to be smaller juvenile fish, and a few that looked really nice as adults. Would you say they develop color as they mature?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a little, although definitely not a color change like in most of the Ctenochaetus. I think they're just tough to photograph.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. They are one of the most active tangs. They are constantly on the move. But know one thing. It will be the last tang you add to your tank. Once the lavender is established, you will not be able to add another tang, without drastically altering your aqauscape, or doing some other trick to make it think it is in a new un-established area. One of my older lavenders (not the one I currently own) killed a red sea sailfin tang I bought. It attacked so hard, I could actually hear the thumps from the outside. My tank is a 180, with a couple hundred pounds of live rock. By the time I could have done anything, the sailfin was dead. Took less than an hour. So yeah, they are vicious to newcomers. But as long as it is the last tang you put in, they are very peaceful and very graceful fish. I have 5 tangs now; lavender, Thompson's, purple, orange stripe bristletooth, and hippo. They all get along great. But they were all added at the same time, and moved from quarantine together. They are difficult to photograph, because they never sit still!
IMG_6132[1].JPG

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. They are one of the most active tangs. They are constantly on the move. But know one thing. It will be the last tang you add to your tank. Once the lavender is established, you will not be able to add another tang, without drastically altering your aqauscape, or doing some other trick to make it think it is in a new un-established area. One of my older lavenders (not the one I currently own) killed a red sea sailfin tang I bought. It attacked so hard, I could actually hear the thumps from the outside. My tank is a 180, with a couple hundred pounds of live rock. By the time I could have done anything, the sailfin was dead. Took less than an hour. So yeah, they are vicious to newcomers. But as long as it is the last tang you put in, they are very peaceful and very graceful fish. I have 5 tangs now; lavender, Thompson's, purple, orange stripe bristletooth, and hippo. They all get along great. But they were all added at the same time, and moved from quarantine together. They are difficult to photograph, because they never sit still!
IMG_6132[1].JPG
Any chance one of you has a short video? I just want to make sure the photos I’ve seen on google haven’t been altered.

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics I’ve seen that look better show a fish with slightly blueish looking faces with orange spots, an orangish dorsal fin, and lavendar tail and anal fin. I don’t know who’s photo this is but is this accurate?

Attachments

• 957D1FCD-0559-419E-A08F-EE0B6E6440B6.jpeg
    957D1FCD-0559-419E-A08F-EE0B6E6440B6.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 370

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance one of you has a short video? I just want to make sure the photos I’ve seen on google haven’t been altered.
Amazing how hard it actually is to get a good picture! They really don't sit still. I caught this one as he was turning around. You can see the iridescent blue on the anal fin, and the orange spots around the face. They really are quite stunning looking. Mine is not quite as vibrant as @Michael White's photo shows, but it isn't far off. Maybe as it gets older, mine will color up more.
IMG_6873[1].JPG

IMG_6873[1].JPG

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back