Lawnmower blenny and his lips!

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my lawnmower blenny for 6 months. I’ve never seen his lips so white before :eek:. I know he kinda changes color with The rocks and the white sand. I did get this purple rock for him because of all the holes and hiding spots about 2 months ago and still never seen these ghastly lips. But he is eating his green nori! Wanted to share cause he looks ridiculous

16792474-0C9F-4E94-8032-12DC753A0E0D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had my lawnmower blenny for 6 months. I’ve never seen his lips so white before :eek:. I know he kinda changes color with The rocks and the white sand. I did get this purple rock for him because of all the holes and hiding spots about 2 months ago and still never seen these ghastly lips. But he is eating his green nori! Wanted to share cause he looks ridiculous

Looks like a bacterial infection
They spend a lot of time scraping coral and injury can occur
Treat with seachem kanaplex in a separate quarantine setting

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that something might be causing that , because they don’t look right. Here is a close up of the lawnmower when I had him.
AD49254D-E135-4F29-AC3B-4A3BA01E178E.jpeg

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is permanently obese.. Doesn't have fat lips like that though. His belly looks like he could have babies anytime. His belly has been like that for over 2 years. Eats algae off my rocks and glass almost non stop.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

didn't you also have a watchman with a mouth infection a bit back?

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial infection
They spend a lot of time scraping coral and injury can occur
Treat with seachem kanaplex in a separate quarantine setting
Oh goodness. Maybe that is why his lips are all swollen. He is all over the rocks. I do have kana I can treat with

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is permanently obese.. Doesn't have fat lips like that though. His belly looks like he could have babies anytime. His belly has been like that for over 2 years. Eats algae off my rocks and glass almost non stop.
Yes! His belly is BIG. I feed him clips twice a week and he makes a mess so then the rest of the days is cleaning up the mess

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started kana treatment for him. Thank you for the advice guys! I was wondering why he looks ridiculous. He is one of my first fish (started in sept and got him in Jan) and idk what I would do without him!

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a video of him changing to his lighter color and his lips look better? I’ll still treat him for sure for the next couple doses but maybe it looks amplified cause he is blending with the dark?

Attachments

• IMG_0263.MOV
    26.2 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Dh
Started kana treatment for him. Thank you for the advice guys! I was wondering why he looks ridiculous. He is one of my first fish (started in sept and got him in Jan) and idk what I would do without him!
ould heal up nicely
Give him some meaty foods to eat such as LRS fish frenzy and plankton
It’s a myth they are pure algae eaters. They are carnivores and eat greens as a supplement

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dh

ould heal up nicely
Give him some meaty foods to eat such as LRS fish frenzy and plankton
It’s a myth they are pure algae eaters. They are carnivores and eat greens as a supplement
I feed the other fish with a ton of mysis and other meaty foods. I actually see him pick at the leftovers! Before I had other fish in the tank, I would actually throw in a small cut up cube every week just for him :) I found that out just out of curiosity. He eats mysis, algae disks and green nori. But he def picks at the rocks and the other equipment so I can see an injury

OP
OP
Stephy A

Stephy A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the other fish with a ton of mysis and other meaty foods. I actually see him pick at the leftovers! Before I had other fish in the tank, I would actually throw in a small cut up cube every week just for him :) I found that out just out of curiosity. He eats mysis, algae disks and green nori. But he def picks at the rocks and the other equipment so I can see an injury
So I just looked on the mini algae discs and there is freeze dried plankton in them. Neat!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes
As stated , they scrape rock with their fangs for food when they can’t find meats

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own home made food (in flat packs) Shrimp, scallops, tuna, and freeze dried mysis, a couple bottles of selcon and amino acids. My lawnmower blenny is fighting the other fish to bite off the chunks of food while I dangle it in the water to thaw. Between my lawnmower and copperband butterfly they both eat directly from my hand. He also eats nori, and pecks at the algae film on the glass... He's soooo fat. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back