Lawnmower blenny: how much do they eat?

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lawnmower blenny last weekend and I am wondering if I am providing the right kind of food for him. I have been offering herbivore pellets, brine shrimp/spirulina and supermarket nori in a veggie clip but the only thing he is interested in eating is the film algae in the back tank walls and in some of the rocks. He looks healthy otherwise and does seem to be compatible with the other fish in the system (2 clowns, 2 fire fish, one saphire blue damsel) Is this a normal behavior? Should I provide a different kind of food? If so, which one do you recommend?

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 lawnmowers in 3 different tanks. Only one of them ever eats any food I add to the tank including nori. The other 2 rely solely on algae in the tank. They scrape the glass, rocks, powerheads and anything else they can to get the algae.

How long has your tank been running? A new tank might be difficult for the blenny. Mine have a fat belly all of the time.

OP
OP
Seadoc

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 lawnmowers in 3 different tanks. Only one of them ever eats any food I add to the tank including nori. The other 2 rely solely on algae in the tank. They scrape the glass, rocks, powerheads and anything else they can to get the algae.

How long has your tank been running? A new tank might be difficult for the blenny. Mine have a fat belly all of the time.
Thanks for the answer. The tank has been running since August

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he’s eating he’s eating. Mine will go on algae benders, then not tough it and just eat frozen. Then he’ll be sand sifting with the goby, and then back to algae again. If he’s active, eating well, whatever it is, and isn’t losing weight I’d say he’s fine.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answer. The tank has been running since August

One of my tanks was started in November and I added the blenny after 6 weeks or so. That was a little early but I still had enough to keep him fed. He's happy now.

The only lawnmower that I have that eats added food did not at first. It took him a few months. Now he eats anything I put in the tank including nori. But he still feeds on the tank algae. Yours may in the future.

Jsimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve notice mine has started to eat Mysis when I feed the other fish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back