Lawnmower Blenny

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lawnmower blenny for my 32 biocube around a month and a half ago. For the first few weeks, I'd see him picking at the algae on the glass, in the aragonite, and on the rocks.

However, it's been 2-3 weeks since I've last seen him out and about. I have a feeling he's either hiding from the new light (radeon xr15)....or he's dead somewhere in a crevice.

I've left nori for him on the glass and it hasn't been touched except for maybe a few nibbles probably by the clownfish....who will literally eat anything from spirulina to krill.

I checked the rear compartments for him too and didn't find anything... although I have no clue how that'd be possible on a biocube 32.

Any ideas? I figured disturbing the rocks/corals would be more of a bad thing since I'm moving at the end of this month with both of my tanks anyway.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish tend to disappear without a trace very quickly if they die and are a small size to begin with. Do you have hermit crabs in your clean up crew?

OP
OP
wesman42

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have both red and blue hermits in the cube...around 5 of each. The bloom was so bad that I figured I needed as many...in hindsight it was a few too many. Do you think they'd make quick work of a blenny?

BellaD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Blenny that did the exact same thing. To this day it's still a mystery what happened to him. Never found any signs of a body in the tank or on the floor. I do currently have a Six Line Wrasse that ended up in my overflow box. I think he was after the copepods. Luckily I managed to find him within a day or two and get him back in the tank. I keep a lid on the overflow box now lol

OP
OP
wesman42

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's unfortunate. I guess he's dead in the water heh. Either that or could he have jumped out? Doesn't really seem like the type of fish to do that either lol

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely jumpers.

Any chance it jumped and then was eaten by a cat or something?

OP
OP
wesman42

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely jumpers.

Any chance it jumped and then was eaten by a cat or something?
Yes that, unfortunately is possible. I removed the lid after I put the new light on...and we have 2 cats. 1 is declawed and the other not so much. So, the cats stay away from the top of the tank...but I guess I can laugh about it knowing one of them got a pretty tasty snack if he jumped. I'll have to get a glass lid or something.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that, unfortunately is possible. I removed the lid after I put the new light on...and we have 2 cats. 1 is declawed and the other not so much. So, the cats stay away from the top of the tank...but I guess I can laugh about it knowing one of them got a pretty tasty snack if he jumped. I'll have to get a glass lid or something.
BRS has a nice screen top kit if you’re handy with a tape measure hacksaw and a screen roller. Compared prices and product to hardware store and ordered from @Bulk Reef Supply. Turned out great

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back