LCBD's RSR 200xl

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am formerly known as BoneXriffic on here (was unaccessable). It has been a long time since I've been around. Messy divorce and all the related drama! This forced me to sell my 90g mixed reef. I had alot of fun with that tank. But now I have clawed my way back to where I am ready. I live in Florida on a salt water marsh. I have crabs, shrimp and array of fish that live just in my backyard and now I want to bring some of that life inside with a new 200xl RSR!

The tank as of today has shipped and alot of equipment recently arrived from BRS. I'm using a curve 5 bubble magus skimmer. I was used to the Reef octos but decided to try this on the new build. Also I purchased a Syncra Silent 1.5 Pump from Sicce. Rating is 357gph which I've now seen may be too small. If so I will get a bigger one and use that as a utility pump.

I decided to keep things streamlined with two AI Prime 16s and an AI Nero 5 power head. I plan to do some sps high in the tank and I feel this should suffice after some kind advice from the forum.

I also picked up a BRS 4stage RODI unit.

I'll be making about a 1 inch sand bed and then spend a month designing my aquascape because my OCD is terrible. I also plan to use tropic Marin salt. I've heard great things!

I would love advice on the return pump situation! Tank should be here next week and then the fun begins. Untill then I made a card board cut out sized to the tank so I can work on rock design!

20210722_165437.jpg
20210530_202652.jpg

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the Jebao DC pumps. Great bang for your buck.

I ran a RO Varios8 for about a year and I had some noise and power issues. Lost the receipt so I couldnt warranty it out. I bought a Jebao DC 13000 as an emergency pump and have had no issues so far (1 month of use). It's quieter than my varios but it is longer in size. It's also a third of the cost. Not that that specific aspect matters much to me but it does become relevant when its put together with its quality.

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Sicce pumps, it just how does everyone think the tank will perform with 7x (358gph) turn over? Recommended is 530gph but I will be using a power head to give me the flow needed.

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me add the Nero 5 in tank powerhead is 3000gph to give me the in tank flow. It would seem going through the forums 4 or 5x flow rate in sump is plenty. Correct me if I am wrong however, please.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me add the Nero 5 in tank powerhead is 3000gph to give me the in tank flow. It would seem going through the forums 4 or 5x flow rate in sump is plenty. Correct me if I am wrong however, please.

In tank flow is separate from your turnover flow. Both are adjusted according to what you will be stocking.

In general, 4 to 5 times tank turnover through your sump is enough. The filtration methods have advanced so much that we can have water that is too clean. This also varies if you decide to follow one of the reef methods that are currently out there. For example, if you want to try the Triton method, they recommend a higher turnover rate; one that is closer to the 10x standard. Or if you want to do "heavy in, heavy out" method. You want the nutrients to flow into your sump more frequently so they can be removed faster than normal.

If you are planning a softie tank, your parameters should be a bit more nutrient heavy. However, if it will be an SPS dominant tank, you want your nutrients to be lower so you would want heavier filtration.

It all depends lol hope this helped, even if just a little haha

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In tank flow is separate from your turnover flow. Both are adjusted according to what you will be stocking.

In general, 4 to 5 times tank turnover through your sump is enough. The filtration methods have advanced so much that we can have water that is too clean. This also varies if you decide to follow one of the reef methods that are currently out there. For example, if you want to try the Triton method, they recommend a higher turnover rate; one that is closer to the 10x standard. Or if you want to do "heavy in, heavy out" method. You want the nutrients to flow into your sump more frequently so they can be removed faster than normal.

If you are planning a softie tank, your parameters should be a bit more nutrient heavy. However, if it will be an SPS dominant tank, you want your nutrients to be lower so you would want heavier filtration.

It all depends lol hope this helped, even if just a little haha
Eeewww no softies lol. As much as I love Zoas. I will have some LPS and maybe a couple Acro colonies high up. Fish wise I am planning maybe a pair of clowns and a couple gobies. So the biology won't be huge there on 53gal total volume.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eeewww no softies lol. As much as I love Zoas. I will have some LPS and maybe a couple Acro colonies high up. Fish wise I am planning maybe a pair of clowns and a couple gobies. So the biology won't be huge there on 53gal total volume.

Then you will be fine with a lower turnover rate. You also have to take into consideration the loss of flow due to head pressure from height and elbows. The gph rating is at 0ft of head pressure. So a pump rated for 530 gph is not going to give you 10x turnover. After you adjust for head pressure it will be a lot less.

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So small update. The tank will be here this week. As well as 40lbs of dry rock for me to build and glue to hold it all together. I should have rock work done and ready to go. While waiting I started getting the water area ready in the laundry room. Installed new faucet to run ro unit. Also mounted a dry erase backer to help me remember things. Or write jokes for the kids! Ro is now mounted and sink put back together. I made about 3 gallons of water to check my connections and all is perfect!
20210725_082930.jpg
20210725_101430.jpg

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the rock arrived today! The tank is scheduled between noon and 4 pm tomorrow. I have my brute filling with RO to rinse the rock . I spent time with the rock and I cam up with an almost cave like design. The plan is maybe a BTA for the clowns on the front on the left side down low. Hes.6 to 8 months from happening but that will allow him to settle. Next will LPS in the open area. I'm hoping to be ready for them when RAP returns to Orlando. A chalice for sure. Acans as well. I love torches but they are dangerous. Then lastly, the Acros. a year from now or so. I'll for sure be going through Battle Corals! My last box years ago was great, and he helped me alot. Fish stocking is still on the works. I'm open to suggestions!

Here's the rockwork! Critique is welcome
20210727_190333.jpg

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday at 4pm it arrived! R+L has some terrible reviews but did well with my order. So Kudos there. I got the stand built and tank set up! Rock was glued, 60lbs of Live sand added and the rock was set. Half filled tank yesterday. won't get the rest done untill today! Then let the cycle begin! I plan to visit a LFS this weekend for a little live rock to help further seed the tank.
20210728_202454.jpg

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my cycle is already rolling! I added bio Spira to help seed. Some small pieces of live rock as well. I actually tested nitrates at was around 2 on the re d sea kit. Ammonia appeared to be low or 0. I suppose I could run out in the back yard and had found a chunk of something to seed the tank! Never thought of it .
20210731_063235.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I collected some mud from the marsh and sprinkled it in. just a little. That's real nasty stuff. Smells awful. Had some little bugs in it. I also added a pair of small Occelarus Clowns for the cycle. I've read lowest on ammonia and around 4ish on nitrates. I assume the tank is processing ammonia, its just a matter of how rapidly it can. I suspect a short cycle. The next additions I plan a few more fish and then a few months to monitor for any disease. Once I feel confident in the fish situation I will start my coral additions from the bottom up. The across i plan will be last. Mixed reef is the plan and I hope to continue to find ways to use my back yard to help the tank succeed. If nothing else this is a great tool to see the progress of the tank!
20210801_162829.jpg

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAY 10 since water fill. Still showing small amounts of ammonia, I think all is well. The clowns are a week in today and have began really showing their personalities. They eat like crazy and like to play in the power head. For cable management I built a cabinet. I put all the wiring in, but haven't sorted my organization out yet. Perhaps another day.
20210807_150415.jpg

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday was the first day where I tested 0 Ammonia, twice. I thought maybe I messed up. The tank has a slight cloudiness with lights on. I chalk this up to being a new tank. I'll monitor. One think I'm struggling with is Alkalinity with the red sea kit. I wasn't much worried about it during cycle but I checked it twice before and after my first 5gal water change. Pre was 5dkh and post was 5.5 dkh. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong. I'll check again today.

Heater and temp control from BRS due to arrive Thursday as well as pink and purple bottled coraline. I've seen alot of mixed reviews and it would seem worth a shot considering I started with all dry rock.

Also noticed a few small brown blotches that disappeared through the night but return later in the day.

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested it all! Ammonia 0 nitrate 5 ph 8.2 Alk 7. The temp system and heater showed up today.y house was keeping it at a frigid 74* f. I have the heater set to 78 and it's slowly warming the tank! Iay look into 1 new fish this weekend. Slowly see how it goes. I would like my next inhabitants to be a pistol/goby pair. then I'll wait 2 more weeks. I'll add cuc as needed and after the goby maybe 2 more small fish.
20210812_182336.jpg

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Sunday! I purchased my first coral, some Zoas to be my sacrificial lamb. I wanted a small place for them anyways. A yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp were ordered. due to arrive this week. I also have a Citron Clown Goby is also being ordered but I planned for him 2 weeks out. Then their will be 1 more fish I haven't decided on yet. Something that swims. I'm open to suggestions. The Zoas opened up right away and all is well. NH3 0. No2 5. Alk 7. PH 8.2. Temp 77.9. Salinity 1.026. Time for the Po4, call, and mag test kits.

Attachments

• 20210814_185802.jpg
    20210814_185802.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 62
Back