Leaf Blower in an Aquarium?

Do you use a powerhead to blow your sand clean or to stir us detritus?

• YES

Votes: 225 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 368 54.2%
  • Never thought of it!

Votes: 86 12.7%

• Total voters

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had the idea to use a spare power head held in my hand to "blow" out any detritus from in and around the rocks in my fowlr tank. Worked like a charm. I was surprised how much crud got suspended in the water column only to get sucked up by the filter. Anyways, it's sorta like a leaf blower in the tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I encourage anyone fighting algae or bacteria to give this a try!

I use one of these
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobalt-mj1200-powerhead.html

Stick the discharge right up against one of the porous openings in the rock, and it can be amazing what comes flying out all of the other holes! I got a little carried away with it and removed so much gunk from my tank that I almost eradicated my bristle worms so I don't do it as aggressively anymore.

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can stirring up the sand harm the tank if there are Hydrogen sulfide (or other gas) pockets underneath the sandbed? Or does that only happen with a Deep Sand Bed?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can stirring up the sand harm the tank if there are Hydrogen sulfide (or other gas) pockets underneath the sandbed? Or does that only happen with a Deep Sand Bed?
It can happen in a shallow sand bed under the right (and unusual) conditions. I don't blase my sand bed but I do vacuum it regularly. Too messy to blast it. If you haven't vacuumed or stirred your sand bed in awhile it is best to do small sections at a time.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can happen in a shallow sand bed under the right (and unusual) conditions. I don't blase my sand bed but I do vacuum it regularly. Too messy to blast it. If you haven't vacuumed or stirred your sand bed in awhile it is best to do small sections at a time.
Bare Bottom for the win.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vaccume the sand with a siphon hose into one of the filter socks in my sump just before I change the filter socks. Not too much comes out though. I have two sand sifting stars that put in work and the CUC takes care of the rock. :cool:

Last edited:

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, I usually like to adjust my flow so that all of the detritus settles in one area of the tank. Then when I do my weekly water changes I know where 90% of it is going to be. Whenever I blow the dirt and detritus around with my power heads, I feel like most is going back into the rock work rather than down the overflow into my socks and sump.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a penguin on a stick. Been using it for years. Works great for blasting crud off the rock. It's too powerful to use on the sand bed. I have a spatula on a stick for stirring that. Prob is I don't do it enough !
HPIM9088.JPG

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare Bottom for the win.
+1... :rolleyes:

And... let my Gyre lift out most of the detritus once a week and suck out the remaining with the Phyton "No Spill" with an Amazon 5/8" OD x 20" long tube attachment during the weekly water change.

:)

Rockhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually take a maxi jet 1200 set it in the sump with a 1/2” clear hose reduced down to a 1/4” rigid tube along with a ball valve, I find the pressure I like and put the 1/4” tube in and out of the sand bed for a nice slow tumble in the sand, I do this once a month with no side effects, I also run carbon for a few days after to polish the water and take care of any ammonia spikes. My tank is a year old and been doing this from the beginning so I can’t say this will work for a tank that is a year old and never touched the sand. Also it’s a sps only tank for the most part[e
2329e0dc881b0a2788f981c38e71326b.jpg
moji57]

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back