Leak down issues w/Shadow

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An issue that I am having is that at shut down (when the return pump is turned off) I drain off about 1/2" of display tank water into my sump. However, when the tank is allowed to sit for an extended period of time (4+ hrs) the display tank will leak down into the sump an additional 2 5/8" of water volume. What I have discovered is that the water is seeping around the outside of the 2 interior box intergraded bulkhead fittings and flowing into the exterior box. Once in the exterior box the water then flows down the main siphon drain and fills the sump. Now if it was 3-4 gallon additional I would not have an issue but at this point we are talking about 15-17 gallons. When allowed to fully leak down, I am just 1-2 gallons away from overflow of my sump and serious troubles.
Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how have you stopped it? I am thinking of adding an additional rubber gasket on the inside or using silicone around the integrated BH fittings prior to installing the center rubber gasket and the exterior box.
A pick is worth a 1000 words but I have tried to snap a few pics of the back of the tank which would show the exterior box and water level but with the limo tint on the back of the tank and the tint of the exterior overflow box I don't think that the pics I am able to take capture what I am looking to relay or that they add any insight to my issue. Anyway, if you look closely you can see (almost) that the water level is right at the bottom of the bulkhead fitting and the water in the exterior overflow box is right at the lowest point of the main siphon.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Tom

d8e1dd3aa90ca871ebe6bb3e32e3f049.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, at first I thought that it might be my return leaking down but from this pic you can see that the water has dropped much further than would be possible if it were the return.
d35425869f45f999eca700f9ea956864.jpg

OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly, in this pic you can see that the bottom of the snap-in weir cover is 2 3/8" above the leak-down water level. This removes the thought that the water is leaking into the interior box and flowing through the integrated BH fitting.
3c14146a2be7d06d6024ddd730ce723f.jpg

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly, in this pic you can see that the bottom of the snap-in weir cover is 2 3/8" above the leak-down water level. This removes the thought that the water is leaking into the interior box and flowing through the integrated BH fitting.
3c14146a2be7d06d6024ddd730ce723f.jpg
I'm not too familiar with this overflow(I run a full length 6 foot coast to coast internal weir)
But the same thing happened to me and I discovered that the plastic shop who fabricated the weir missed a spot with some solvent when gluing the box together. Water was coming in through a small unglued gap in the acrylic seam. A quick bead of silicone fixed it.

Is it possible you're having the same issue?

OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well might be. I am through with my freshwater test and draining the tank and sump this weekend. I will certainly thoroughly check the overflow when I am cleaning everything for final setup.
Thank you for your help and advice.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tom39 that shouldn't happen. Did you put the gaskets on the inside and outside of the aquarium between the overflow boxes? There is 4 gaskets that come with it that need to be installed. It should look like this.
16InchShadow_exploded_view_no_bg.jpg

@Shores805 I know exactly what you are talking about, but with ours it is injection molded and 100% sealed. No way for it to leak into the front box. Sounds like something else.

OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not too familiar with this overflow(I run a full length 6 foot coast to coast internal weir)
But the same thing happened to me and I discovered that the plastic shop who fabricated the weir missed a spot with some solvent when gluing the box together. Water was coming in through a small unglued gap in the acrylic seam. A quick bead of silicone fixed it.

Is it possible you're having the same issue?

Well I pulled the interior overflow and it is sealed tight with no signs of stress or defect. Since it is a 1 piece mold I paid special attention to the point where the integrated BH fittings meet the interior box. My thought was that maybe I stressed it and cracked it during installation but I see nothing.

@tom39 that shouldn't happen. Did you put the gaskets on the inside and outside of the aquarium between the overflow boxes? There is 4 gaskets that come with it that need to be installed. It should look like this.
16InchShadow_exploded_view_no_bg.jpg

@Shores805 I know exactly what you are talking about, but with ours it is injection molded and 100% sealed. No way for it to leak into the front box. Sounds like something else.

I actually only got one set of gaskets (2) and not two sets (4). Thank you very much for replying to my thread.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I pulled the interior overflow and it is sealed tight with no signs of stress or defect. Since it is a 1 piece mold I paid special attention to the point where the integrated BH fittings meet the interior box. My thought was that maybe I stressed it and cracked it during installation but I see nothing.

I actually only got one set of gaskets (2) and not two sets (4). Thank you very much for replying to my thread.
Double check as they come stuck together in sets of 2. There will be 4. We hand pack each one and each gasket is accounted for. A lot of people over look that they are stuck together. Just let us know. Glad to be able to help.

OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check as they come stuck together in sets of 2. There will be 4. We hand pack each one and each gasket is accounted for. A lot of people over look that they are stuck together. Just let us know. Glad to be able to help.
Unfortunately, I am not seeing the second set and I am guessing that when I unboxed everything and was mocking it all up I set one of the sets with some other parts and pieces and they are in a box of goodies somewhere. I have no doubt that I will find them a few months from now when I finally get everything put away and organized. Anyway, I really do appreciate you working with me on figuring this out, I am just happy that there is a solution to the problem. I have sent and email to you all with my info to purchase a new set and when I finally get them installed I will update the thread.

Again, thank you for your time and help,

Tom G

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I am not seeing the second set and I am guessing that when I unboxed everything and was mocking it all up I set one of the sets with some other parts and pieces and they are in a box of goodies somewhere. I have no doubt that I will find them a few months from now when I finally get everything put away and organized. Anyway, I really do appreciate you working with me on figuring this out, I am just happy that there is a solution to the problem. I have sent and email to you all with my info to purchase a new set and when I finally get them installed I will update the thread.

Again, thank you for your time and help,

Tom G
No worries. We will get you taken care of tomorrow. Thanks for checking. Glad we could help!

Zachhll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going to say this is awesome customer service. Not many company's are checking forums on weekends. Love my Synergy sump. Would defiantly buy from them again.

1EyedKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the EXACT same problem.. I have all 4 gaskets installed according to the diagram up above. The water isn't trickling down the back of the aquarium like I would expect, but it's very slowly working its way into the back overflow box. Reseated the boxes/gaskets 4 times... Cleaned up the edges with 300 grit sandpaper and mineral spirits... This is my first drilled tank with overflow setup, so I have my LFS coming to check things out since they drilled the tank for me. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

1EyedKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get this solved? I have 4 gaskets and am having the same issue.

I am having the EXACT same problem.. I have all 4 gaskets installed according to the diagram up above. The water isn't trickling down the back of the aquarium like I would expect, but it's very slowly working its way into the back overflow box. Reseated the boxes/gaskets 4 times... Cleaned up the edges with 300 grit sandpaper and mineral spirits... This is my first drilled tank with overflow setup, so I have my LFS coming to check things out since they drilled the tank for me. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synergy Reef had sent me 2 gaskets and I have installed them but I have not tested to see if the issue remains. I will shut it down this weekend and provide an update on my findings.

1EyedKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synergy Reef had sent me 2 gaskets and I have installed them but I have not tested to see if the issue remains. I will shut it down this weekend and provide an update on my findings.

Thanks for the reply! I'm crossing my fingers for you!

jmt1030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with this overflow and later found out that I had put the gaskets wrong as was stated above. I put it correctly and it stopped immediately.

OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with this overflow and later found out that I had put the gaskets wrong as was stated above. I put it correctly and it stopped immediately.
I am almost 100% positive that my issue was that I did not install all of the gaskets. When I pulled it off the tank I only had gaskets in the center. Only thing I can figure is I misplaced one set of gaskets that came with the overflow when I unboxed it. I must have set them aside somewhere and didn't realize it. Fortunately I contacted Synergy Reef and they had sent me an additional set.
As I said in my last post, I haven't leak down tested it yet but will do so tonight. I am confident though that the new gaskets have solved my problem.

1EyedKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so I'm clear... The gaskets go on both sides of the glass right???

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 4 gaskets on my 16" overflow 2 on the back and 2 on the inside of the tank and I'm getting leaks from both bulk heads maybe 1 drip every few minutes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back