Leak down issues w/Shadow

1EyedKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 4 gaskets on my 16" overflow 2 on the back and 2 on the inside of the tank and I'm getting leaks from both bulk heads maybe 1 drip every few minutes.
Yep, same here.. I opened a case with synergy last month. They were closed for the month, but they are talking with me now!

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 4 gaskets on my 16" overflow 2 on the back and 2 on the inside of the tank and I'm getting leaks from both bulk heads maybe 1 drip every few minutes.

We have found that most of the time it is caused by the glass thickness not being 1/4" or thicker. Or it may just be the gaskets are misaligned and need to be aligned correctly with the box, make sure the gaskets are covering the holes and sealing correctly. Also make sure the overflow plumbing on the external side is not hanging from the rear box. The pipes have to be supported so they do not pull down on the overflow.

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have found that most of the time it is caused by the glass thickness not being 1/4" or thicker. Or it may just be the gaskets are misaligned and need to be aligned correctly with the box, make sure the gaskets are covering the holes and sealing correctly. Also make sure the overflow plumbing on the external side is not hanging from the rear box. The pipes have to be supported so they do not pull down on the overflow.
Quick question starting inside the tank is it internal box> gasket>outer box >gaskets > nuts. I have the gaskets in the outer overflow box between the nut and the box not the box and the glass is that correct ?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question starting inside the tank is it internal box> gasket>outer box >gaskets > nuts. I have the gaskets in the outer overflow box between the nut and the box not the box and the glass is that correct ?
That's your issue. The gasket needs to be on the glass on the outside of the tank.

So internal box>gasket>glass>gasket>outer box>nuts.

OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been a few weeks since I added the gaskets between the inside overflow box and the tank. Since then I have leak down tested the overflow a handful of times, the tests varying in time from 30min to 4hrs. Once the flow stops the level remains constant and feel that my issue has been solved with this fix.
Thank you everyone, especially Synergy for your help and advice.
Tom

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been a few weeks since I added the gaskets between the inside overflow box and the tank. Since then I have leak down tested the overflow a handful of times, the tests varying in time from 30min to 4hrs. Once the flow stops the level remains constant and feel that my issue has been solved with this fix.
Thank you everyone, especially Synergy for your help and advice.
Tom
Awesome @tom39! You're welcome. Thanks for the follow up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back