leak, now breaking down

humbletumble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, unfortunately, my 40 has started leaking from the base. I cleaned and re-sealed the entire tank before using it a few months ago. I just noticed water on the floor and found the base is leaking from somewhere i can't pinpoint without removing the tank from the stand.

I'm extremely disappointed and depressed to have to get rid of everything, despite it all doing great, but it seems to be my only option. The coral is finally thriving and spreading, goby and pistol finally settled in and the rest of the family finding their homes. I don't have the extra funds to spare for another 40 gallon tank right now and I have nowhere to put everyone until the tank is re-sealed. I have no choice but to take everyone back to my local shop and sell them for whatever I can get back. It's heartbreaking as I said, and I am finding it hard to start.

I want to continue the hobby, but being this is the second time I'm having to do something like this in my life (first time was a tank crash many years ago), I'm debating whether to come back after this. I don't have the best luck it seems, and will need to decide later down the line.

Anyway, I attached a couple photos so at least people can see what I'm talking about.

This is also a used tank, in which the seller lied about its condition (my fault, I know).

Thanks for your time
20230103_185749.jpg
20230103_185755.jpg

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, unfortunately, my 40 has started leaking from the base. I cleaned and re-sealed the entire tank before using it a few months ago. I just noticed water on the floor and found the base is leaking from somewhere i can't pinpoint without removing the tank from the stand.

I'm extremely disappointed and depressed to have to get rid of everything, despite it all doing great, but it seems to be my only option. The coral is finally thriving and spreading, goby and pistol finally settled in and the rest of the family finding their homes. I don't have the extra funds to spare for another 40 gallon tank right now and I have nowhere to put everyone until the tank is re-sealed. I have no choice but to take everyone back to my local shop and sell them for whatever I can get back. It's heartbreaking as I said, and I am finding it hard to start.

I want to continue the hobby, but being this is the second time I'm having to do something like this in my life (first time was a tank crash many years ago), I'm debating whether to come back after this. I don't have the best luck it seems, and will need to decide later down the line.

Anyway, I attached a couple photos so at least people can see what I'm talking about.

This is also a used tank, in which the seller lied about its condition (my fault, I know).

Thanks for your time
Don't give up. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase a large plastic container to keep your items in short term (unless your LFS can hold them temporarily). Check out Craigslist & Facebook marketplace and contact members in your local Reef club for a used tank or suitable system. My bet is you can pick up something very inexpensive quickly. The LFS's may have recommendations too.

Last edited:

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re anywhere near chicago I have a 40 breeder you can have. Don’t give up brother. This was out of your control and you will learn from it

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also look on OfferUp , marketplace. Etc. or just get a temporary plastic tote

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Petco is still having 50% off glass tanks, looks like a 40 breeder is $60 right now.

move the water, livestock, and rocks into 5 gallon buckets, leave sand (I think). put new 40 on the stand with a fan inside the stand with doors open. Put new sand in (or go bare bottom) and put everything back. . .

that's what I would do

Last edited:

ckuhny3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is the pictures showing the bottom of the tank? The tank is only resting on the edges on the stand? I’m not an expert but that could be why the tank cracked

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for your time

I was on petco’s site earlier today and the 40 breeders are on sale for like $55 or something like that. Even if they are not running the sale at your local Petco, they will price match off their website.
That’s a pretty good deal!
I hate to see this happen to anyone, hopefully a new 40 works out for you.

OP
OP
H

humbletumble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re anywhere near chicago I have a 40 breeder you can have. Don’t give up brother. This was out of your control and you will learn from it
Thank you so much. Unfortunately I'm near Dayton, Ohio lol, so that's a little far.
I am looking around though to see if I can find one at a good deal, even if I have to break down and have it shipped.

OP
OP
H

humbletumble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on petco’s site earlier today and the 40 breeders are on sale for like $55 or something like that. Even if they are not running the sale at your local Petco, they will price match off their website.
That’s a pretty good deal!
I hate to see this happen to anyone, hopefully a new 40 works out for you.
I've watched for those, but I'm torn due to the 50/50 with the tank leaking new. I've heard the glass seems thin as well, which worries me. I am looking around now though to see if I can find one or not in time.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t give up and good news even used tanks can be in decent shape .
a few things to help is have them filled with water before agreeing to move them to your place .
Age is also good to know .
whether it’s been stored dry and how long .

this is the perfect time of year to pick up sales

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched for those, but I'm torn due to the 50/50 with the tank leaking new. I've heard the glass seems thin as well, which worries me. I am looking around now though to see if I can find one or not in time.
I have 2 aqueon 40 breeders, one downstairs on my main system and my son just recently set one up in his room. Never had an issue.
Just make sure it’s level when setting up and you should be fine.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is the pictures showing the bottom of the tank? The tank is only resting on the edges on the stand? I’m not an expert but that could be why the tank cracked

I just took another look at the pics you originally posted, what type of shape is the stand in?
It’s possible the pics look worse than it actually is but if that stand is rotted out, don’t reuse it.
If the stand is shot, that may explain the leak.
Hard to tell from a pic.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco has them for $40 at different times

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back