Leaking Overflow Box

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 years later and my external overflow box is leaking. I have temporarily plugged it with Ecotech coral glue (yea I know).

I contacted my local aquarium shop (Aquarium Adventure) but no one has called.

Looking for a solution should the leak or a larger issue arise to save my animals and my home.

Any ideas in Columbus, OH????
PXL_20220729_193809461~2.jpg

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is it leaking? Is it the bulkheads. Or is it leaking between the plastic overflow and glass into the overflow chamber?

If it's the plastic and glass, i think you're going to have to move stuff to a temporary tank and remove the overflow completely and clean all sealant, and the reseal everything.

This isn't really an Emergency that requires immediate attention. But if you loose power it may over flow your sump depending on how your drains are set up inside the overflow.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say external, you mean an HOB overflow box? Why is it leaking? Is it cracked? If so, maybe one of the Weld-Ons.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait.....I'm seeing saw teeth and a bulkhead on the left wall. Need more information.

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the overflow box is acrylic and external to the tank but attached. It's built into the wall unfortunately so hard to get a good look. Definitely a seam in the side of the box. I had an issue there many years ago but reinforced it.
PXL_20220913_225814741.jpg
PXL_20220913_225834191.jpg
PXL_20220913_225852208.jpg

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral glue is holding the leak. AA is quoting me a replacement tank they can swap mine out with just don't know the time frame yet. Awaiting more details on all that.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You drop the water level in the tank so it stops entering the overflow and you fix it. Clean it up really well and glue it or replace the box.
Not a big deal unless you wait until it is.

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I did for the temp fix.

I am going to need to take that portion of the wall out to do anything more advanced which is what I'm going to do.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait.....I'm seeing saw teeth and a bulkhead on the left wall. Need more information.

So it looks to me that the tank is drilled through the back. If so, the external portion of the overflow assembly is what is leaking.

Replace it.

Easy to do:
  1. Drain water below the bulkhead.
  2. Remove.
  3. Replace.
  4. Return the water to the tank.
  5. Done.

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the assembly it's definitely the seam of the box itself. It's acrylic and glued to the side of the tank.

I am going to remove the paneling for access and re-glue or maybe see if a local professional can examine to cut it and replace.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pictures I'm assuming this is am acrylic tank with a glued on external acrylic overflow?

If it has leaked through a seem I suspect the joint is contaminated and will not reseal by just flowing more acrylic cement in there. I'm sure a repair is possible with further disassembly and cleaning, but I don't see a good way to do it with the tank in place and running.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you could add a temporary HOB overflow and run the tank water level low enough to keep the built in one dry for a while, might open up some options. The close quarters would still be a problem, it will be tough to do a quality repair without good access.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @All_talk , if the seam is contaminated, applying a glue/weldon in that seam most likely won't work. The next option I'd try is to drop the water level, clean up the area, and use a silicone specifically made for acrylics. You can find it at HD in the acrylic sheet department (windows) and looks like this:

Silicone Plastic.jpg

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So good news this morning....no more dripping.

Temp fix last night was to drain the box, ran coral glue along the seam I believe is the issue, and cut a shorter drain pipe to lower the water level in the overflow.

I have to travel for work the next three days which is unfortunate but when I return going to take @redfishbluefish @All_talk advice. Drain and dry the overflow again, and seal the entire thing with silicone. It's not a high pressure or weight bearing part of the tank, so I believe that's a viable longer term solution.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back