LEAKING Red Sea Reefer - Multiple Failed Seams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Old Time SW Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two days with no replies? Chill man.

They have no legal responsibility for damages caused by defective products. If they are generous perhaps they will refund some of the money for the tank, but you need to contact your insurance for water damage within your home.

Actually, it depends on the particular State that in which you live. Some states do not allow a company to limit liability to replacement only, especially when damage is caused by a defective product. Best to check with a local attorney or do some investigation yourself. Just because the manufacturer states (they all do) in the warranty that their libability is limited to replacement of the product that is often not the case. I had a 300 gallon FO acrylic tank blow out at 4 days old and my HOI paid but they then sued the manufacturer to recover their loss. The manufacturer had originally told me they had no further liability than replacement but that turned out to be BS as they wound up agreeing to reimburse the insurace company for over 18k. I did not want the same tank back in my home ever again so I demaned, and got, a full refund as well.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is an older thread but I just got a 450 Reefer off a guy who never set it up. The feet were torn out moving the stand. The feet do not seem very sturdy as they are tiny plastic pieces. Once I can manage to lay the stand down and replace the feet my concern is my old house and unlevel floor. I was scared before I read this thread and certainly now. If anything happens it's all on me. Red Sea will have no reason to help. My question is will those tiny feet into particle board support the massive weight of the 450? If so and it isnt perfectly level how should i go about assuring it is level? I have a bunch of new plumbing and supplies coming from BRS but have to be sure it is safe to add water before I do anything. Thanks for any help with this![

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is an older thread but I just got a 450 Reefer off a guy who never set it up. The feet were torn out moving the stand. The feet do not seem very sturdy as they are tiny plastic pieces. Once I can manage to lay the stand down and replace the feet my concern is my old house and unlevel floor. I was scared before I read this thread and certainly now. If anything happens it's all on me. Red Sea will have no reason to help. My question is will those tiny feet into particle board support the massive weight of the 450? If so and it isnt perfectly level how should i go about assuring it is level? I have a bunch of new plumbing and supplies coming from BRS but have to be sure it is safe to add water before I do anything. Thanks for any help with this!
I've done carpenter work most of my life and probably built over 500 houses. there is no way i would put a tank that big on a pier and beam floor. Especially a rimless tank. My tank stand is concrete blocks that go through the floor and down to a concrete slab under the house..

IMG_0616.JPG

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done carpenter work most of my life and probably built over 500 houses. there is no way i would put a tank that big on a pier and beam floor. Especially a rimless tank. My tank stand is concrete blocks that go through the floor and down to a concrete slab under the house..

IMG_0616.JPG

You're right, I'll just sell it. It's nice but not worth the hassle.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's right on an outside wall over the main beam supported by lolly columns. I'm going to add extra support directly underneath for added security. My 65 gallon display is just about the same placement wise for 7 years and hasn't so much as nudged. I'm going to get it perfectly level and freshwater test it gradually with precautionary measures.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's right on an outside wall over the main beam supported by lolly columns. I'm going to add extra support directly underneath for added security. My 65 gallon display is just about the same placement wise for 7 years and hasn't so much as nudged. I'm going to get it perfectly level and freshwater test it gradually with precautionary measures.

blazedmasta

The Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old posting but wanted to let everybody know the experience I had with that exact same issue. My Red Sea reefer 525 Xl have been up for about 2 years. The tank started leaking in the same location as the OP. The front glass started to come apart from the side glass panal and was leaking all over my carpet. A HUGE LEAK. I was able to stop leak by applying pressure with a ratchet scrap.I contacted them and was told the tank is our of warranty and that it's normal to have silicone leaks and for me to keep my case confidential.

I think everyone should know the kind of quality that's being sold and the customer service received and it should not be covered up to sell more high price products. I was told to buy a new tank since the silicone damage is non-repairable. I will be staying clear of Red Sea reefers tanks and going with a waterbox for my replacement. Be careful they will leak and it's not normal.

Attachments

• 20210809_115500.jpg
    20210809_115500.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210809_115356.jpg
    20210809_115356.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210809_115253.jpg
    20210809_115253.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210809_115203.jpg
    20210809_115203.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 20210810_095702.jpg
    20210810_095702.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 115

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back